Thread: model 329: M&P vs. Nightguard experience?

Default model 329: M&P vs. Nightguard experience?

S&W has two scandium .44 mags now. Does anyone have experience with the newer one? While its barrel is significantly shorter, it's listed as being heavier, probably because of the stainless cylinder. It seems to me that the two guns fill different roles: the original is a packable .44 mag that often gets used for fishing & hiking, while the snub version strikes me as more of a .44 spl defensive gun that can also shoot mangums.

There's always pleasant talk on here about the 4" 329 on this forum, and I'm curious about how the new snubby version stacks up before choosing whether to buy a scandium.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default 329 ng

I looked at the shorter 2" barrel 329 NG (Night Guard) over at Northern Security last week. It is noticeably heavier than the 4" barrel PD; I don't know why they do not offer the NG with the titanium cylinder. A 2 1/2" barrel would also be nice if it would permit you fully eject the empty cases; the 2" is too short for that.

I'm thinking about buying one and putting the titanium cylinder from my PD in it - should make the ultimate pocket gun for personel protection. I'll call S&W performance center also and see if they can supply it with the titanium cylinder as a special order gun. If not I can send my PD back to get a new cylinder fitted or sell it with the SS cylinder out of the NG and just buy another PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    S&W has two scandium .44 mags now. Does anyone have experience with the newer one? While its barrel is significantly shorter, it's listed as being heavier, probably because of the stainless cylinder. It seems to me that the two guns fill different roles: the original is a packable .44 mag that often gets used for fishing & hiking, while the snub version strikes me as more of a .44 spl defensive gun that can also shoot mangums.

There's always pleasant talk on here about the 4" 329 on this forum, and I'm curious about how the new snubby version stacks up before choosing whether to buy a scandium.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK