Thread: Browning BLR in .450 Marlin

Default Browning BLR in .450 Marlin

Anyone have any experience with this rifle? If so I am curious to know if the magazine is long enough to load the Barnes 350gr. TSX FB.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this rifle? If so I am curious to know if the magazine is long enough to load the Barnes 350gr. TSX FB.
    I have one, but won't be much help to you. I have not yet specifically reloaded for this particular rifle. Mine really likes the factory LeverEvolutions so I haven't felt the need to tinker with the loads.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Can you measure the length of the magazine box if you get a chance and then I can extrapolate from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ak257 View Post
    I have one, but won't be much help to you. I have not yet specifically reloaded for this particular rifle. Mine really likes the factory LeverEvolutions so I haven't felt the need to tinker with the loads.
    Do you the straight stocked version or the pistol grip? Also what are your overall impressions of the rifle?

Can you measure the length of the magazine box if you get a chance and then I can extrapolate from there.
    There looks to be slightly less than 2 9/16" (2.56") of length that you could practically use.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Do you the straight stocked version or the pistol grip? Also what are your overall impressions of the rifle?
    I have the straight-stocked stainless/laminate version. It handles and shoots well enough, though I'm not too sure I like the aluminum receiver. It was fairly easy for me to strip the threads while I was attempting to mount scope bases so I had to deal with that. I eventually ended up taking the scope off and going with the iron sights. Overall, I guess I would say it's a nice looker, a good shooter, but has room for improvement.

Smile blr in .300 WM

I have used the my BLR in .300 WM for the last 10 years and have become pretty attached to it. It has plenty of battle scars and allot of stories its a part of - and has held up well. I have never liked the gloss on the stock and plan to remove it this year. Ive fired hundreds of rounds through it and recently have had a problem with the ejection of some spent cartridges has only happened a few times but I would like to find out what would cause this and get it taken care of. Ive had it happen with different boxes and brands of factory ammo.
    any ideas appreciated -

Default stripping gloss finish off blr?

tschaffan,

I've got a new BLR and share your dislike for the gloss finish. Have you made any progress on yours, or heard of anyone successfully stripping one without ruining the wood? If it isn't an epoxy factory finish, I would guess a furniture stripping agent would work. The checkering might be a bit tricky though. And I would hate to have to take it all apart.

Mine is currently getting the trigger "fixed" (10lb-->3lb) by Neil Jones gunshop in PA. I tried to feel him out about stripping the finish while he had it apart working on the trigger, but it didn't seem like he had ever messed with the wood on these guns.