Thread: H&R 300 ULTRA Bolt Action

Default H&R 300 ULTRA Bolt Action

What can you tell me about this gun?

I just got a phone call from someone who wants to sell me one. He says it is stamped made in Belgium on the barrel. The description he gave me makes it sound like a commercial mauser. Imported by H&R?????? Say it ain't so! He says its clean as a whistle and I can have it for $400. Oh yah it's a 243. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    What can you tell me about this gun?

I just got a phone call from someone who wants to sell me one. He says it is stamped made in Belgium on the barrel. The description he gave me makes it sound like a commercial mauser. Imported by H&R?????? Say it ain't so! He says its clean as a whistle and I can have it for $400. Oh yah it's a 243. Should I?

Sounds like that is what it is. They seem to go for the same prices as the Interarms version. Of course it looks like exactly the same rifle probably from the same plant.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=110394147

All of the ones I've ever seen where FN's actions and I would not hesitate to pick it up. Of course that to me has got to be the all time dog ctg of all time. Hate the short neck little Bast-rds. for me it's a little high just to get and action, I have paid more to get the same thing in early Browning FN's with little differences in the action, so who am I to tell you no. I've always been a sucker for a good FN Mauser action anyway.

I get a little embarrassed when I think of all the inports I bought for the actions only and trashed the stocks and barrels. If the barrels had been any longer I could have kept them and used them for tomato stakes.

If I had one to do up, there are a lot better ctgs to go too. OH WAIT, I DO HAVE A FEW. What was I thinking?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default H&R rifle

These rifles were made on commerical FN mauser actions and sold by H&R under their name
    during the mid 1970s. They were offered in many calibers--even 17/223. I found them to be well made--at least the first ones. I have seen several on the market in the past few years.
    I believe all were drilled and tapped for scope mounting. If so, that is a good price--even for
    the caliber. The ones I have seen are in the 400-500 dollar price range with the magnum caliber approaching 600.

The HR 17/223 were built on a SAKO action L461?

The HR's actions were FN, the later ones FN400 with non steel trigger guards

Mark X and Herters J9 were the Yugolsavia built M98 copies

I bought one of the HR in 7mm Mag from the Navy Exchange in Kodiak in 1969 at a charity auction. Could have got a browning for the same price, prettier wood, but much heavier gun. The browing action was FB built, but was a late iteration and lacked the external extractor and the convention bolt sotp. Sold the HR when I went off to college. I remember the action being marked Made in Belgoium, but not the barrel.

What does the title of this thread have to do with the content?

allen: I recall the Herters J9 was the BSA action, which was a push feed action sliding extractor on one lug, like the post 64 WINCHESTER model 70. I had one of these actions and barreled to the 6.5-06.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    What does the title of this thread have to do with the content?
    I was wondering the same thing... are we talking about a 300 ultra or a 243???

Default Revealing my age...H&R 300 Ultra

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing... are we talking about a 300 ultra or a 243???
    300 Ultra was the name given to the rifle series. No one had yet dared to hang the 'ultra' moniker on a cartridge back then. Commercial 98 actions, little bitty barrels, and what looked to me like finished Fajen stocks with H&R's name on 'em.
    Some of the ones we sold back in the 1970's didn't shoot too bad, at least for the first shot, then them little bitty barrels heated up, and it was a no holds barred assault on about a half acre for follow-on shots.
    Hey, whaddaya mean belittling the grand .243 Winchester? Wonderful little cartridge. At least they had sense enough to use the .308 case instead of that obsolescent Mauser 57mm case! (ya gotta know that I'm givin' ya a hard time, right? Right??)
    $400 ain't a bad deal if it's an FN and in decent shape. I've seen fellers payin' a lot more for junkier stuff than that one!
    Take 'er easy!

Quote Originally Posted by lakay View Post
    this is my first time to join to this forum
    Good, welcome to the forum. Please note the title, this is about guns and shooting. Try a post about guns and sse how that one goes.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The BSA was the Herter U9. Earlier ones had the external extractor, the New, Improved ones did not.

good referance on these is DeHaass Bolt Action Rifles.

Most Herters J9's did not have an adjustable trigger, I seem to remember them closing out at $49.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    The BSA was the Herter U9. Earlier ones had the external extractor, the New, Improved ones did not.

good referance on these is DeHaass Bolt Action Rifles.

Most Herters J9's did not have an adjustable trigger, I seem to remember them closing out at $49.
    That's the paper back book, like a Gun Digest? I've got all of his books.

Default 300 ultra

I own one of these rifles in .257 Roberts any idea what would have needed to take place to get a rifle in a caliber that was not listed on the ad?