Thread: Shore Fishing in Seward

Default Shore Fishing in Seward

im thinking about running down to seward 2morrow. Just wondering how the shore fishing for silvers is. What are you guys using? and wheres the best places. I was told that by the waterfall was a good place to cast vibraxs

Talking Fish Finders

I have fished the water fall exclusively for a few years now for both silvers and kings. I find there is a serious drop of of salmon showing their tail fins in this spot compared to previous years, even more so in the past 10 years or so. Maybe its just me?

At this spot I use a fish finder, matter of fact, I have used a fish finder at the water fall, the harbor, and the rest of the beach with some great success. One summer I watched a local use an interesting combo of lures. He took a green and orange pixee and removed the hooks. Then he would place both on his swivel, back to back, and use one O ring and one hook to tie them together. He over whelmingly whooped me on the beach.

For those of you who do not know what a fish finder is, I will describe. Its a big treble hook with a bunch of lead. Salmon love the taste of this one.

so snagging is allowed?

Default Fish Finders

When all other colors seem to fail the color of lead seem's to work :-)
    Try across the bay at Fourth of July Creek, not the creek itself (illegal) but the bay where the water dumps into the salt. It's a nice beach area...

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    so snagging is allowed?

Yes.

Was down there last weekend, BIG chromers off the beach.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I heard they were down there at Seward last week big time, so I headed down today. NOTHING!!! I fished at the waterfall and saw 2 pinks and 1 silver caught all day. I fished at the culverts and saw a couple silvers and many spawned out pinks. Guess they just weren't there today? I did see a batch of pinks jumping along the road past the waterfall and threw out some hardware. Ended catching a couple of small ling cod. Go figure. Maybe it will be better tomorrow, but for today, not much for silvers going.

Thumbs up

Earlier this week, I fished for silvers in Seward and the catching was good.

On Tuesday, all three of us managed to catch our six-fish limit while trolling from a friend's boat in the bay. The salmon were scattered, but persistence rewarded us with a fish every 15 to 30 minutes. Last one of the day was the biggest, weighing in at 18 pounds.

Before heading home on Wednesday, I tried my luck from shore at the culverts. Arrived at low tide in the morning and banged one with a pink Pixee on about my fifth cast. After that, nothing more for me. However, the snaggers were doing well casting "Alaskan stars" on the incoming tide. Good numbers of silvers were being hauled in all around the cove.

The highlight was watching a guy wearing a hardhat and reflective vest chucking a star under a bobber. Couldn't believe it when he actually landed one with that set-up. That certainly is a creative way to avoid the rocks!

so what is the limit is it 6 or 3 with only 2 being silvers

In saltwater, the limit for silver salmon is six fish per person.

Default 3 sept 06

i took my coworkers fishing in the bay sunday. we fished all day and only ended up with one fish . (20.5 lbs monster) i felt sorry for the guys cause i was the one who caught it. (not really)... any way i caught it two miles south of cains head along the shore. trolling about 30 feet. we went to thumb cove and did not get anythng. troled the beach and nothing.. not even a bite. finnal heading in about 6 pm we caught about 15 small silvers... about 10 inches long but that was about it. i forgot to brng the depth finder so i thnk that was a disadvantage. the water was like glass going out at 930. but turned choppy about 1:00. was still able to do 18 knots comming in. compared to 27 knots going out. till next week... tight lines..

Default Alaskan Star & Bobber

That sure is an ingenious way to keep the hook from catching rocks. I make my own snagging hooks and use a minimal amount of lead. This way the hook does not sink as fast, and as long as you do not let it sink to the bottom you will not loose a hook on the rocks.