Thread: Tues Report

Default Tues Report

Today was slow but steady at the hayflats. We had ducks trickling in every half an hour or so. Mostly all we saw were teal. We had one flock of pintails come in. They snuck up on us. We were standing there shooting the bs, when we hear what sounds like a squadron of F-16's coming in. Then suddenly we had pintails diving and rocketing through the decoys, and even through the blind. We ended up dropping 3 of them. When I went to pick one of them up he flew off. And of course I am standing there with an empty shell in my gun. So we really only got 2 of them. We also had a couple of flocks of cranes fly over. Really high, but they were there. I have no idea on how you could get them down to shooting range.
    The end of the day total was 16 ducks, 3 Mallards, 3 Pintails, 1 Unidentified Diver, (I think it is a goldeneye, but could be a bluebill) and the rest were teal. I think some of the migrators are here. That flock of pintails were definetly migrators, and I am pretty sure a couple of the flocks of teal that came in were migrators. Maybe duck hunting is going to get really good in the next week or so.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Any pics

Of the diver I'll try to identify it for you. Goldeneye don't look like scaup.

Default cranes

"We also had a couple of flocks of cranes fly over. Really high, but they were there. I have no idea on how you could get them down to shooting range."
    I shot my first crane the other day. They were on the ground,ie in the field when I spotted them. I had to almost crawl over to them I got within fifty feet stood up and took one as it flew. the others were too quick. So my lesson learned is that the cranes are a search the field bird.

This diver has me stumped. I am usually very good at waterfow ID. It looks like a hen goldeneye, but it has grey feet. The few goldeneyes I have shot in the past have had yellowish feet. The bill is broad enough to be a bluebill, but it is too dark. It is very dark brown or black. It is too big to be a bufflehead, but the bill looks like a bufflehead bill. There are no white speculums or white patches around the eyes. Like I said, I think it is a goldeneye but with the grey feet I can't tell for sure.

I have a picture of it, but I packed the cable to connect my camera to the computer a few days ago. This was my last duck hunt of the year, because I am getting an all expenses paid trip to the middle east to hunt terrorists for a while.

It's probably a hen scoter. Good luck and godspeed on your trip.

Default Hen Harleguin

According to Ducks.org and the reference stuff I have. Your hen Harlequin is similar to a bufflehead hen but bigger. They have grayish feet and legs. The goldeneyes (barrows & common) have yellowish legs. Down where your at the odds are good your found a Harlequin hen.

I did some research myself, and I think tealer may be right, everthing points towards it being a hen harlequin. I would have never even thought about it being a harlequin until I read your post.

I never expected to shoot one of those on the flats. It has been a good year for shooting unexpected ducks out there. 1 Canvasback, and 1 Harlequin.

Default No white on it

I'll bet its a red head. I picked up 2 last weekend and it took me while to figure it out. It can be hard this time of year, with no or very little color to them. As for being a sea duck. We don't see to many on duck lake.

duckslayer There are alot more cans out there then you think. I killed 3 this year. Two of witch last week end, and know of about 5 more. Also saw close to 200 at a undisclosed location out there last week end also.

I'll bet its a redhead as well - - I highly doubt its a harly - especially out there - they like cleaner/clearer waters

we got Can and couple of redheads last weekend as well.

Default references

Where do you look for duck ID for these alaskan - non plumage ducks? Does the adfg publish anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Where do you look for duck ID for these alaskan - non plumage ducks? Does the adfg publish anything?
    http://www.alaskaduckhuntingguides.com/
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Reference

I have an old book called Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America. It has pictures of all our ducks and their wings, heads, etc in Juvenile and eclipse plummage. It even has pics of the ducklings of each species. Fantastic book. It is by Kortright circa 1943. You can find it for $19.90 thru AntiQbook .com. I've had one in my library since I started carving dekes in 1972.