Thread: New here

Smile New here

Hi, all!

I just registered, and look forward to visiting with some of you, and learning a few things. I realize this forum is primarily for folks from Alaska, and I am from Alberta, but I hope that's not a problem. I've spent most of my life in the Yukon - does that count? I currently shoot a 1940's Husqvarna in 6.5x55, and an earlier Browning BLR in 358 Win. I love both guns, although they're very different to handle and shoot.

A few quick questions about the Swede. 1) What model would the gun be, as it was made in the 1940's? 2) What kind of pressures will that model safely handle? I've done some reloading for it, and the hottest load I've tried is 50 gr. of RL22 with a Nosler BT 120 gr. bullet, and that seems pretty hot to me. A lot hotter than factory. The powder is probably slightly compressed with that load. I realize that bullet seating depth makes a big difference in pressure, so 3) Is there a table of some kind that shows how pressure changes with depth of seating?

I want to get as much performance as I safely can from the Swede, but I definitely want to stay at least a little ways from the edge.

Thanks, and hi again.

Terry

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Welcome to the forum! Now for the “bad” news…….

In fact, I am surprised that no one else piped up to inform you of the total inadequacy and antiquated designs of the two rifles you mentioned………. It’s a total shame that they are chambered for such anemic cartridges and you have my sincere sympathy…….

So, in an act of good faith and good will, I will offer, (at great pain, imposition and discomfort to myself) to purchase you rifles from you, to better enable you to afford something more appropriate……. Like a plastic… I mean, “synthetic” stainless .338.

Please don’t worry about me…… I will find some way to come to grips with those antiquated rifles and hopefully………. Someday, find a use for them.

So, I figure that $200 aught to go a ways towards you new plastic…… ahhhhhg, I mean “synthetic” rifle. What do you say?

Really now……. It you weren’t able to see the sarcasm in that, then you are gonna have a tough time here……. And if you did, then you are gonna fit right in buddy!

Nice shooters you got there and welcome aboard!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Nice try Alangaq!

Your lovely little Husky is most likely a M38 based rifle. Those are of the M94/96/38 series, often called small ring Mausers. I do not consider them to be weak actions. They are certainly capable of sustained loads of 56,000 psi, in my opinion. That is more than enough for any load you'd want for the 6.5 Swede. That pressure is the point where we start to see pressure signs in the brass. The brass begins to flow at that pressure. Below that pressure you won't need to size the case, just the neck to hold the bullet. What would be considered a mild load for a 308 Winchester or any of the magnums of today. That makes the Swede fully the equal of the 260 Rem.

Anyway don't ya just love those rifles. Made with TLC with the best fit and finish a truly hand made rifle. Those were the good old days of gunmaking. Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Welcome! These Sourdoughs ain't throwed me out yet!

I live in Idaho, jist a mite south of you...
    Like Murphy said, that little Swede is most likely the 1938 model especially if it was built by Husqvarna. Nice little rifle, and I never understood why Remington went to the trouble to make the 260 unless it was just to have yet another cartridge with their name on it that duplicates an existing round.....
    I'm a bit surprised, though, that you're not using a .303!!! Maybe I'm out of touch these days, but I thought that the Crown imported enough Smellies to put one in every cabin!
    Enjoy, and again, Welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If the Husky does not have the thumb cut out on the receiver, it may well be the M46 rifle, which is based on the M 94/96 Mauser design.

I have two Husq M46's 8X57 and 9.3X57 in this configuration. I have seen a couple of 3006 as well. For some reason, lots of the 8X57 I have cracks behind the tang of the receiver, as does mine. Great guns!

I also have a CG63 target rifle built on the M96 action in 7.62 Nato, shoots pretty good.

Enjoy your 6.5!

Pictures would assist identification.

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate that. In answer to some of the questions - no, I'm not interested in selling my guns, but I might trade them. If you've got a Dall sheep hunt to trade, or something similar, I might be interested. For anything less, however...

My Husky does have the thumb hole in the receiver. A wonderful little touch. It started out with a full-length stock right out to the muzzle (which I've cut back and refinished), and the barrel is threaded to accept a bayonet. I'm thinking maybe one of those new BOSS resonance balancers might screw right on there.

I did some shooting the other day, and the little 6.5 Swede put 5 bullets into a 4 inch group at 400 yards, with 12 inches of drop! And with a 6 power scope. I was trying out a new load - 48 gr. of RL22 behind a Nosler 120 gr. BT.

Thanks again for the welcome. If anyone has loads for the 6.5 Swede or 358 Win that have worked well, I'd love to hear about them. I'm thinking of working up some Hornady 160 gr. round nose for the Swede. Has anyone found a good combo for those?

Take care,

Terry