Thread: Pedersoli kodiak 58 cal question

Default Pedersoli kodiak 58 cal question

A brand new Pedersoli 58 cal side by side was brought to me today with the claim that it would not fire.

How many times have we heard this with smoke poles? The difference here is that the fella that brought me the gun has owned and still ownes more muzzleloaders than most will ever see, He knows the ins and outs as well as anyone.

We played question and answer for a while and he left the gun. I started by thoroughly cleaning the gun and then headed to the range. Once at the range I snapped 5 caps on each barrel to insure that the channel was clear and dry so the fire from the #11 cap could get to the powder. I then poured the pyrodex select down the tube and tapped the side of the gun to insure that the powder got to where it needed to be and loaded a great plains bullet on top. I then repeated with the other barrel. New RWS caps were fired on both barrels and although both caps had plenty of bang neither barrel fired. I removed the nipples for inspection and could see no apparent problem. I then poured a small amount of powder into each nipple hole and reinserted the nipples. This time both barrels fired as they should. I repeated the loading with the same results. Once again powder had to be poured into the nipple hole before the gun would fire. I then repeated the procedure using both Tripple Seven and FFG with the same result. I then removed the #11 nipples and replaced them with musket cap nipples and the thing still would not fire without powder directly under the nipple.

That night when I cleaned the gun I could draw water up through the nipple with a wet patched jag and when I expelled the water it squirted out the nipple like a little boy peeing. Pretty much the same results as any other muzzloader would produce.

The next day it was back to the range and the results were the same. I even tried pouring 20 grains in at a time and tamping with a ramrod to insure that it was getting to the fire hole. It still would not fire without putting powder under the nipple. It is evident that powder is not getting down to where it needs to be in order for any cap to fire it.

Any Ideas?

That sounds really strange, especially with the musket caps. I haven't pulled apart a Kodiak, so I'm going to have to do some guessing and supposing here.

The fact that "when I expelled the water it squirted out the nipple like a little boy peeing" paints quite a picture, but when I use a patched rod to push water out of a barrel, I'd describe it as a lot more water than that. I can blow all the water out in well under a second, and it's a nipple-sized stream goin far and fast.

If your stream of water is smaller than the size of the nipple holes, it sure makes me wonder if they aren't partially blocked. As in not drilled completely through into the barrel. or somehow something got up there and partly blocked the flame channel in the process of mounting the breech.

Everyone I've heard of with a Kodiak reports very reliable ignition, so something is definitely going on there. I know my NA double 12 never misfired in a solid ten years of steady use, and I'd have to guess the breeches are similar.

Moving on to the powder, I've got a couple of single barrel 58's- one with a hooked breech and the other fixed and with a drum bolster. The one with the hooked breech will reliably ignite any powder or sub I've tried using standard #11 primers.

The one with the drum bolster NEEDS either musket caps or magnum #11 caps to light of RS, and then only if I'm careful to slap the lock a couple of times to settle powder over into the bolster before seating the ball. It's never failed to ignite the powder, but quite often there is a noticeable delay. Kind of a Pop....BANG! It is instantaneous with both Goex 2f and 3f using standard #11s, so I've pretty much stuck with them.

I'd investigate the potential of blockage during manufacture a little more. I don't recall the details, but in the last month I've heard of recent manufacture Pedersoli double that wouldn't even let water through the nipple holes. Turns out there was some sort of epoxy or something oozed out in the way during seating the breech.

A call to Pedersoli may be in order. Haven't dealt with them myself, but they have a rep for standing behind their product and quickly dealing with problems. This page from the Pedersoli site lists US distributors here in the US along with sites and #'s.

I just got off the phone with the owner of the gun. He said that he was on the phone several times today with Cabela's where he got the gun and he was convinced that no one there had a clue.

I think your on the right track about epoxy or something blocking the fire hole. I can take any of my breech guns and turn them sideways and give them a slap and this will result in at least a small amount of powder to appear in the fire hole. Of course you have to have the nipple out to see this transpire. There weren't no way in hell that was going to happen with that Pedersoli.

The clincher for me was when the musket nipples didn't resolve the problem.....I pretty much new wewere in trouble.

The bottom line is its a thousand dollar gun and is purdier than heck. The fit and finish are top notch. Iffen only it would go bang!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I just got off the phone with the owner of the gun. He said that he was on the phone several times today with Cabela's where he got the gun and he was convinced that no one there had a clue.
    I couldn't find it yesterday, but I've got a link to the main Pedersoli importer into the US. I'll look again today. From what I heard they're the ones who not only know what they are doing, but also are quick and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I couldn't find it yesterday, but I've got a link to the main Pedersoli importer into the US. I'll look again today. From what I heard they're the ones who not only know what they are doing, but also are quick and helpful.
    Flintlocks, Etc. is the outfit you need to contact.

Thank you BrownBear.

I have the double 50, should be about the same set-up. If you pull the nipple, you can look into the breech plug. It is a 'patent style breech' reduced in diameter, but still should be about 7/16 to 1/2" in diameter. I use a 20 ga. wire brush to keep mine clean. Just spin it in the breech. Look thru the nipple and see if they are clean.....they should be about 1/32 [.032] in diameter..........clean with a small drill or pin.

Mine never mis-fires, unless the nipple gets plugged. Some of the foil covered caps would plug the small hole.

I also have used the musket caps, couldn't tell any difference from the #11s.

Don't take a cold gun into the house, it will sweat.......and condensate.
    Damp loads are bad..........as the old saying goes, "keep ypur powder dry"

Goex FFworks best for me.

Hope some of this helps.

No-BS