Thread: Sheep Hunting Raingear

Default Sheep Hunting Raingear

What raingear is everyone using for their sheep hunts?

Is Rivers West working for you? What about the HH impertech? I did a search but didn't come up with much.

I have a custom bowhunting wool jacket -but it is just too heavy to hike/climb in. I have some cheap breathables - but I wouldn't trust my life on it. I had some breathable cabelas dry plus that I really liked (but I left it on a lake in Colorado while duck hunting).

Well I'm not sheep hunting, but if I had to choose among my meager inventory, it would be my Impertech.
    No it doesn't breathe & yes you sweat when you work hard, but it keeps the rain out. Period.
    I also have a Cabela's Dry Plus heavy jacket that I chose to wear today hunting here in the Kenai area. It poured the entire 7 hrs I was out there. My pants stayed dry except for some minor sweating under my Impertech pants. The top half of my body was drenched from rain. Everything was fine the 1st 3 or 4 hrs, but then the "breathable" jacket had enough & started inhaling instead of exhaling. I haven't used it much, but that seems to be it's pattern. Good for a while & then it hits the saturation point & it's done. Made for a miserable day. Glad I was only a couple of miles from the truck & not on a mountain somewhere. Could have been a nasty situation.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

When sheep hunting I leave the Impertech at home and bring either my Arcteryx 3-ply Gore Tex jacket or my Marmot Precip raingear. Neither are as solid as the Impertech, but they're both loads lighter and breathe far better. Being wet from sweat is just as dangerous as being wet from rain.

Default river's west

I've had alot of issues here with rain gear. I had a set of HH that were good for one season and then they just quit working. My wife ordered me an expensive browning rain suit from Bass Proshops and it didn't last two hours in a downpour. I ended up buying a set of river's west- it works but it's not near as breathable as I was hoping for. Quite and great for glassing but way too hot for mt hiking (especially the pants). What I found that works the best is wearing a set of "breathables" during a light rain and then putting on a pair of frogg toggs when it starts pouring. They are extremely light weight and packable.
    I hope this helps, I'm still trying to find something perfect.

Default that does help

Keep it coming. Do the frog togs keep the hard rain out? For sheep hunting the gear will have to be LIGHTweight for sure. But I also know that I won't have a warm cozy basecamp to dry off in...I usually use my Kifaru tipi with a wood stove - but that is/was for elk and moose hunting we will most likely be using bivy sacks combined with a silnylon tarp for our sheep hunt next year.

Default Rain Gear

Love the Marmot Precip, great light weight stuff. Not very quiet if your a bowhunter though. Still I use it and have been happy. The full zip pants and pit zips on the jacket are very handy.

Default Frog Toggs

Frogtogs won't make it in heavy all day long rains as well as Gore-Tex. Especially multilayer goretex. As dry as you can be. Use the layers underneath to keep the moisture from soaking you because of condensation. Hope you have a good hunt.

Default sheep hunting raingear

Sitka Nimbus jacket and pants for sheep hunting, used it this season in the Brooks range...good stuff, however its pricey, but it s designed by Arcteryx, look at their new packs also designed by Arcteryx.

Default i've got the new outlaw jackets and pants

The new outlaw jacket & pants from rivers west is great stuff! It keeps me completly warm and more importanltly dry. I heard the reviews about RW not being good becasue they're too hot, the outlaw is light weight and made for warmer hunting conditions. It works i clim mountains and stay dry in a downpour. Any one else tried the new outlaw pants/jacket?

IF you can find it, Peter storm......

Any one else tried the new outlaw pants/jacket?
    Yes, still too hot and will freeze solid if it drops below freezing. Will not dry out overnight once it gets wet. I now just wear mine for cutting firewood.

I'm an Impertech guy now.

Default Full Side Zip

My group all have gone to HH Impertech for the solid rain, but we all like to have a full side zip on our pants so we will carry some rain pants by Marmot or equivalent. It would be nice if HH made some pants with full side zips.

Default Sitka Gear

The rain gear by Sitka Gear is great. It has pit-zips and ventilation points, will absolutely keep the wet out. If you're working up the slope, you'll make plenty of wet inside too. Super packable and light weight to boot!
    Attached Images Attached Images