Thread: WACH Report Sept 17 08

Thumbs up WACH Report Sept 17 08

Well we are in wrap-up mode up here. There are still plenty of groups of hunters out in the field and the number count on good bulls is very high. I have seen some very impressive bulls coming back to town and the groups that I have worked with year seem to be doing well. To any of the guys who I have worked with please send me some photos as I would love to display your trophies on my web site. I will do my updating in November and you can start looking for your photos then.

I am interested in seeing how the entire hunting community has done so please chime in and share your experiences. How was the hunting, what were your experiences with the flight services and any issues with ??? Great chance to hear from you.

I drove my boat up to Kiana Alaska this weekend. Drove about 250 miles and saw lots of animals. We had to stop the boat 2x to allow strings of caribou to cross the river. Real cool to watch! I will be heading up the Noatak for a second chance to bag another nice bull and I will let you know how we do. The locals are bringing lots of fat caribou back into town and it appears that most everyone will fill the freezer. I saw the craziest thing last weekend. I came across a spot where a number of bulls had been butchered on the banks of the Kobuk River. There were between 8-10 caribou heads stuck in the sand by the racks so the tongues could be removed. The locals enjoy the caribou tongues and the often times leave the heads on the beach but to see that many heads in the sand was interesting and some of the racks were huge!

Well keep in contact and lets see how you did!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

somebody needs to buy you a camera

Too bad you can't sell bou racks Walt. 100 bucks and up for bou antlers on taxidermy market. Do you cape your bulls out? You can sell capes in unit 23, just not the racks. Capes are worth around 100 bucks and up also. Lotta money left laying in the field!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Cool OK!

No they dont take them as they taste like hair! I will become a river scavanger! No not for me!

Walt

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default additional profit

If you're going to profit off of outfitting hunters, why not try and make even more money off of taking the capes that people aren't going to use and sell them too? Then more of the animal would be used. If you can cape an animal in less than an hour, that would be pretty good coin.

But Walt................your always telling us what a subsistence hunter you and all Kotz are. Surely you wouldn't leave valuable game animal parts in the field to rot? Subsistence hunters need all the gain from their kill they can get. Oh well, too bad your wrapping up. Still hundreds of thousands of bou heading south.
    Hope everyone had a good hunt up there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the update,Walt. Has the weather gotten any cooler? I know 2 weeks ago guys were hunting in t-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by ny jeff View Post
    Thanks for the update,Walt. Has the weather gotten any cooler? I know 2 weeks ago guys were hunting in t-shirts.
    Normal fall now. Lows in the 30's and highs in the 48 range. Nice!!

We're going up Saturday, I can't wait! Weather says rain, what say you?

Default Good Luck!

Hey Ty, I was up there the 1st week of September and it was hot (80 deg) and buggy. There was not much Caribou activity either, we saw less than 75 head in 7 days (most of them on the 1st day). Anyway, we are considering going back next year and would schedule our arrival for later in the month.

Accordingly, I'm very interested in how you do on your trip. Please pm me or post a trip report when you get back.

And Good Luck!

Default Good Luck Ty--

My wife and I are heading up on Saturday as well. Her father is up there now moose hunting and we are meeting up at another camp Saturday, god and weather willing, to chase caribou for the week.

This is my first trip to Kotz, and I am stoked. We went back through our gear tonight and am still up playing on the computer, checking weather etc. as I cannot sleep.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Busta

Busta, how far out of Kotz were you the first week of Sept?

We hunted two locations. First was the Wulik about 80 miles out of Kotz, then we switched mid-week to the Kugururok about 85 miles out.

Default Thanks

I am going the first week of Sept 09', just comparing. We are going further up the Noatak.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    We're going up Saturday, I can't wait! Weather says rain, what say you?
    Rain right now! I will be out there on sunday, save 2 for me!

Walt