Thread: Whittier Silvers opinions - season's done or they're still out there

Default Whittier Silvers opinions - season's done or they're still out there

I've never seen a silver season like this out of Whittier (bank or boat fishing). Anyone else? If there's one thing in life I'm always optimistic about, it's fishing. But is there really any sense in holding out hope that they just haven't come in yet?

Default Not dead yet

The problem is the wind and rain, I have fished Whittier for over 15 years, in the old days it would not peak until the middle of September with fish bright fish being caught in October, now the weather is a problem, if they are not biting or jumping as is the case this year they are very hard to catch. I am hoping for some more fishing there, but not looking for it to be hot this year.

I think for all salmon it was pretty much a bust this year.

Still I would like to go out one more time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Same here, I've been primed to go the last two weekends but the weather has stalled me.

I dont mind rain, 5 foot waves are a bit much though....

This is the time of year when you bring a fishing rod and a gun or for me a bow.

I will head out in Nov for deer. But I'm still wanting to hook some silvers.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Just maybe...

PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND
    400 PM AKDT TUE SEP 16 2008

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...
    .TONIGHT...E WIND 30 KT. SEAS 6 FT. HIGHER WINDS AND SEAS NEAR
    HINCHINBROOK ENTRANCE. RAIN SHOWERS.
    .WED...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT. RAIN.
    .WED NIGHT...SE WIND 15 KT BECOMING E 25 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    6 FT. RAIN.
    .THU...SE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .THU NIGHT...SE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 6 FT.
    .FRI...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .SAT...SE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

PKZ129-171400-
    PASSAGE CANAL
    400 PM AKDT TUE SEP 16 2008
    .TONIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 2 FT. RAIN.
    .WED...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT. RAIN.
    .WED NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT BECOMING E 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .THU AND THU NIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .FRI...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT AND SUN...VARIABLE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

Unconfirmed reports of fish starting to show for shore fishers, both in Seward and Whittier. I'm hoping someone can verify. I'll probably make a Whittier run in the next day or two and see what if I can find any. I still want one more batch of smoked fillets and the rest for the freezer....

Default Shore fishing in Whittier?

Is there a good spot to shore fish in Whittier?
    My son's been asking if we could try for silvers again (we did Hillberg lake last weekend for the trout) after I let him pull in one I hooked at Eklutna awhile back. Looking for something with easy access since he's only 6 and I end up lugging most of the stuff. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Is there a good spot to shore fish in Whittier?
    My son's been asking if we could try for silvers again (we did Hillberg lake last weekend for the trout) after I let him pull in one I hooked at Eklutna awhile back. Looking for something with easy access since he's only 6 and I end up lugging most of the stuff. Thanks for any help.
    I just talked to the Whittier Harbor Master, and she said there aren't any silvers in the harbor, although they are doing construction, so that is probably keeping them out. There are several other options: Smitty's Cove, Salmon Run, and along the road between the harbor and the tunnel. I don't guarantee any fish, and it's all rip-rap...big, jagged rocks that are extremely slick when wet---could be pretty treachorous for a little one. Salmon Run is just a typical cove...when the tide isn't really high it's easily fishable with the family, basically a gravel beach with the occasional log and rocks. Gotta watch the tide though, if it comes in too high you get stuck hugging what is at best very steep and at worst a cliff.

And oh yeah, Smitty's has a small boat ramp that a kid could fish from, but I'd recommend a bobber/bait rig as there are a lot of snags around it.

Hope that helps.

I will head down tomorrow morning to throw some flies around.

Default if you are going to whittier let us know?

IF anyone goes silver fishing this weekend let us know on this post. Looking to fish just past the docks in that cove. Thanks for the help. I know the derby is going on, will it be too crowded? Thanks.

I talked to a friend that was going out sheep hunting. He was in the water at the fuel dock. There were no boats outside the harbor trolling. The lady at the fuel dock said he was only the second customer they had today, even though they are only open Fridays now. He was going to troll a bit around the harbor, and he was suppose to call me back if it saw any action at all and I was going down tomorrow. I never heard back so I am assuming that they had no luck on their way out hence I am going to skip it tomorrow. He said that the water was really cloudy due to all the rain as well. Thats all I know. Hope it helps in your decisions, it did for me.

Jim

Thanks for the info coho slayer. We'll know where to go when/if they do come in. I think we'll give Whittier a miss this weekend based on the last posts. May try Nancy lake for some pike and see what happens.