Thread: Hunter Education

Default Hunter Education

Can anyone tell me what is involved in the "live fire" part of the hunter education class? I am taking it on November 8th and i just wanted to know what to expect.

I took my daughters through a few years ago. It consisted of shooting a .22 at, I seem to remember, 50 yards and having to get a group in a 4 inch circle. My memory may not be accurate but I do remember it was not difficult. My girls were minimum age and neither had a problem qualifying.

Default .22 bolt action rifles...

shooting at 4 targets - during the course in Fbx Aug 23. Tgts #1-3 are practice at each of 3 positions, then tgt#4 for score - in whatever your best position was. I just held steady and took my time. No time limit.

Rifles are scoped. Rule was 5-shot group within 3-inch diameter circle - not necessarily at the bulls eye, but within 3-inch circle.

Excellent course - for safety and hunting basics, but also educational for broader perspective on habitat and the importance of the public's perception of hunters as a group. Understanding our contribution to public perception about hunting was maybe the most important thing.

Enjoy the course. Make sure you have the workbook done!

Hmm...when I took it as a 14 year old there was no shooting component. I have been encouraging my sister to take her 9 year old son (who will be 10 in May) through this course sometime within the next year. He's a pretty decent shot within 20 yards or so, but I don't want to get him into something over his head shooting wise or with the workbook. I don't recall it being particularly hard study material, but I would appreciate some more recent perspectives. Has anyone taken their kid along with them to the class? How young? How was their experience?

Default Hunters Safety

The booklet provided with the training materials is excellent. I spent several evening with my 10 year old filling in all the blanks in the work book. When you arrive for the class the instructors collect the booklets to see if you did the homework. My son learned a lot from the booklet and got 100% on the exam. The instructor announced this to the class and this put the pressure on some of the teenagers.

My son had to take the shooting section twice to pass. The instructors worked with him after everyone else had finished. They wanted everyone to pass and were willing to stay until they got the shooting right. This was a very positive experience for both of us.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I took mine 4 years ago in Fairbanks when the kids got old enough to shoot things to... good course but we did not have scopes on the 22. we had single shot with sights and they had to be grouped didn't matter what corner of the paper they hit as long as most ( 8outa10) were in a group. It was a long course 2 days. and they have since adjusted a lot of it for the youth now...

ALSO WE ARE STILL LOOKING FOR MUZZLE LOADER PARTICIPANTS IN FAIRBANKS FOR THE OCTOBER COURSE.....

IT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TWICE and i really want to go ....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have already taken the Bow hunter cert class and i figured that the live fire would be similar to what i had to do for that class.

Thanks everyone for the heads up, i have to take this class for my december hunt.

Default I took mine in November

out is the Valley at the nation guard station. One day course, had to handle shotguns in various stages=not shooting. If you muzzle anyone you fail. Had to do a nature walk=shoot vs don't shoot but no shooting. Then the qualifier was BB guns @ 20 feet maybe, accurate little things. Might have been 30 ft but in the gym there and definately not 20 yards. Anchorage was all full for months. Sounds depends on the instructors and the location of the class.

Default off subject

a little bit - but does a class from the lower 48 work for alaska? I know that the IBEP is good for up here - but couldn't find a definition of the basic hunters education class in the regs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    a little bit - but does a class from the lower 48 work for alaska? I know that the IBEP is good for up here - but couldn't find a definition of the basic hunters education class in the regs.
    yes AK recognizes out of state hunter ed.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Heads Up

Here's a word to the wise for anyone born after January 1, 1950:

If you want a hunting license in Colorado you have to show them a hunter safety card. An official state-sanctioned card from any state will work, but it has to be hunter safety. NRA qual cards don't work.

No firsthand experience, but I understand many other states have similar requirements.

Long as you're taking a kid to the class, you may as well enroll yourself. Hate to see the chance for a great hunt in another state go floatin on by cuzz you didn't have a card. If this near-60 year old can take the class with a bunch of kids and survive, so can you!!

Default Just the cert. #

You don't need a physical card here, just the certification number. I had to do this to hunt the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge. Took the course a long time ago in NY. I just had to get the cert # from NY, and I was good to go.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I was denied an out of state license in California because I didn't have a hunter's ed card. I took the class this summer with my two oldest kids, 11 and 12 at the time, and none of us had any issues with the live fire test.

My daughter, who doesn't shoot much, passed with her first group and she was shooting standing position and it was pretty windy.