Thread: Moose rut

Default Moose rut

For those who have been out and about, any signs for the moose rut kicking in? I've heard a few reports that the rut is coming early this year. Thanks.

Not on Ft Rich, I was out scouting on Sunday and didn't see any sign of scrapes or bull moose activity. Should be getting close by this coming weekend though and I think the first part of October should be prime hunting during the rut.

I saw tons of scrapes where i was hunting over the weekend and heard a few cow calls. i managed to call in a couple of bulls, but nothing legal. The area was colder than Anchorge too, so that might have something to do with it.

Default rut

We saw a ton of scrapes, and no return grunts. I think with so many people in the local areas calling and beating on trees have the moose somewhat on edge. At least that's what we noticed.

We saw 5 legal bulls, but under 400 yards if you blink an eye they're gone. Plus some had up to 6 cows

Default Pre-rut activity

Last week I was on a remote river and observed a large bull accompanied by a cow. I would assume the bull was interested in her, but it is a little early. I would classify this as pre-rut activity. Breeding doesn't usually take place until mid-October in many areas though.

Most often the pre-rut kicks in about September 10. That's when we've had the best luck calling anyway.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Just got back today from 6 days of moose hunting. Didn't hear or see much the first couple days, but on Wednesday there was a cow moaning pretty well right behind the cabin. I figure I'll just hang out near her and let her bring in the bull(s) for me. Sure enough, that evening I had a bull grunting up a storm and thrashing brush right below the cabin along the lake. I grunted once from the porch and he came busting through the brush in my direction (too dark to see how big he was). We didn't wander far that night as the next morning I called him in on a rope. The first moose I've ever called in, so I was excited. Unfortunately, he had the cow with him so I couldn't close that last 50 yards (was archery hunting). Finally got a look at him after awhile and he was only 40"ish. Dang! This morning on my way out she was calling again (I'm sure the bull wasn't far off). Also found a couple wallow areas that stunk pretty badly, so I'm guessing they're getting lots of use lately. Just my observations of one cow / bull pair, not sure how representative that was for the area in general.

Default Moose rut pits

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Just got back today from 6 days of moose hunting. Didn't hear or see much the first couple days, but on Wednesday there was a cow moaning pretty well right behind the cabin. I figure I'll just hang out near her and let her bring in the bull(s) for me. Sure enough, that evening I had a bull grunting up a storm and thrashing brush right below the cabin along the lake. I grunted once from the porch and he came busting through the brush in my direction (too dark to see how big he was). We didn't wander far that night as the next morning I called him in on a rope. The first moose I've ever called in, so I was excited. Unfortunately, he had the cow with him so I couldn't close that last 50 yards (was archery hunting). Finally got a look at him after awhile and he was only 40"ish. Dang! This morning on my way out she was calling again (I'm sure the bull wasn't far off). Also found a couple wallow areas that stunk pretty badly, so I'm guessing they're getting lots of use lately. Just my observations of one cow / bull pair, not sure how representative that was for the area in general.
    Keep track of those rut pits; bulls use the same ones year after year, and next year this fellow may be large enough to shoot. He'll be back...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay