Thread: revenue loss

Question revenue loss

I'm wondering, with our economy going south, will the loss of revenue from the shrinking pool of nonresidents hunter and fishermen, have a detrimental effect on resident hunting and fishing licenses and tags rising in cost? Will the AK Fish & Game have to make up for the shortages and pass it on or is the nonresident revenue not that critical in the entire scheme of things?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I'm wondering, with our economy going south, will the loss of revenue from the shrinking pool of nonresidents hunter and fishermen, have a detrimental effect on resident hunting and fishing licenses and tags rising in cost?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Will the AK Fish & Game have to make up for the shortages and pass it on or is the nonresident revenue not that critical in the entire scheme of things?
    Nonresident revenue from licenses and tags is not critical to funding.

Default Fewer nonresident hunters...

... would be worth an increase in fees.

I don't have an eye on F&G's exact budget, but...............I've been told by the bio's here that non res revenue accounts for a substantial portion of F&G revenue. Much of F&G money is PR funds and they are doled out as 1 part state, 2 parts PR. The average non res spends 1000 bucks or more in tags and fees so his expense generates an additional 2000 bucks. The average res only generates less than 100 bucks.
    I'm not sure how, why, or when non res fees will go up, but I suspect it has more to do with overall values of permits and costs than the number of non res coming here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Nonrsident Fees

I can only guess on how Alaska will respond to fewer nonresident hunters but, if they are like the other states I hunt in, they will raise nonresident fees before they raise resident fees. Reason? - a 10% increase on a $400 nonresident license results in more revenue than a 10% increase on a $40 resident license.

Most Game & Fish departments come after the easy money first.

On a side note, hunters & fishermen will spend a larger percentage of their income on recreation than other leisure activities (golf, sports games, etc) so the decrease in hunters MAY be less than one would suspect. That is according to views held by a booking agent I know.

Again, on a personal level, the deflation of the US dollar (until recently) has resulted in my spending less money on hunting trips. Where I used to visit Alaska every year, I am now looking at visiting every other year.