Thread: Parks Highway Rabbits

Default Parks Highway Rabbits

I have been told by several people who were in Denali National Park this summer that it was a record year for Snowshoe Hares. Has anyone noticed any large populations near the park, like the area between Cantwell or Healy or closer on the Parks Highway to Anchorage? I love that country in the fall but only have weekends and it's a long drive. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have been on both the Denalli Highway from Cantwell, and the Stampede Road just a little ways past the subdivisions, and saw almost as many hares as on the park road! Also, my neighbor walks up the roads/trails from above Otto Lake and bags a couple every time.

Default bunnies

I was down in the park about 2 weeks ago and noticed a crap load of hares all over the sides of the road from the park all the way back into Fairbanks.

I just returned from Fairbanks yesterday. There are so many dead rabbits on the highway between Denali and Fairbanks you wouldn't believe it. I told my son watch the side of the road and you might see the ground moving Can't say that we saw as many rabbits this side of Cantwell though. Good Luck.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Jay View Post
    I have been told by several people who were in Denali National Park this summer that it was a record year for Snowshoe Hares. Has anyone noticed any large populations near the park, like the area between Cantwell or Healy or closer on the Parks Highway to Anchorage? I love that country in the fall but only have weekends and it's a long drive. Any assistance would be appreciated.

this spring and summer was by far the largest i have ever seen the hare population here. it has dwindled quite a bit the last month and a half. as the owls and hawks finished nesting.. a few of the neighbors have lost dogs and cats to birds of prey... so we now have a strong population there as well. morning hours are still great times to see hare on the roads with plenty of them around.. last June i counted over 300 between clear sky and the Rex bridge ( Nenana river, green bridge) now it is about 30.

i would have to say that in my travels back and forth this year.. Hurricane would be about as far south and the boom went this year.. and not so many in Fairbanks.

we still have a good mosquito population in the evenings after a warm day. so i am holding off on the bunny hunting as of yet..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks to all for the posts. I'm going to head up there the next couple of days and give it a try.

i was at denali a week (sept13th) or so ago.. TONZ of them heres a pic

u could almost not run them over.

Semper Fi!

those nice white ears are like a big sign reading "shoot me!, shoot me!"......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Greythorn3: Where abouts in Denali did you see the most rabbits? And what time of day did you see them? i.e. Did they only come out in the mornings and evenings or were they out all day?

7 or 8pm inside denali, the part you have to wint the road lotto to get on.. some right inside the gate too.. we didnt get in tell noon.. but we only seen them sunset and dark
    Semper Fi!