Thread: Early Montague reports?

Default Early Montague reports?

Just wondering if anyone can give an early update on deer activity there on Montague so far this year?

Can't speak for Montague, but Green was pretty darn slow. We only saw 5 does, whereas normally we see 20 + during a day. No bucks to be seen in mid-August. I guess the past few winters have been pretty bad over there. There was still snow over half way down the mountains on Montague.
    MMJ

Not to hijack the thread because I'm also interested in numbers but I have a question for all the boating deer hunters. How do you put up your meat? Being on a boat, I've been thinking a lot about it, keeping it clean and dry, how do you all go about it? Rig something to hang it under a cover, coolers, other? Bring whole onto the boat/quarter it/bone it out/game bags/other? We plan on being out for several days and this will be our first time trying it and just looking for advice, appreciate it guys.
    Cody

usually just gut and haul it home whole is what we have always done. with bear though we skin them and put in a game bag and shove in my anchor hold. Will try that if we are lucky enough to get out and get after 'em. Cooler might be fine, you want deer especially to breath. They will get pretty gamey otherwise. Leaving the hide on keeping them whole protects the meat, lets them dry out and air out and cool down nicely. Just stack em up. Good luck. Was bleek last year and sounds alot worse this year.

Whole and gutted would be easiest, I was just worrying about being like that for 3-4 days if need be. I suppose it'll be plenty cool enough out for that. Maybe take something to prop the rib cage open with, how we used to do it back home when we hung them. Too bad about the "bleak" outlook, I personally don't need to kill one but would like the 2 guys I'm going with to have a decent shot at one, not that I'd turn one down...guess we'll go give er a shot and see what happens, I'd rather get a bear to tell the truth, let them deer hunt! Thanks the for the reply!
    Cody

Bleak was meant for Knight Island, Perry Island, Naked Island, Latouche Island, maybe Elrington too. This was last season in Early October, usually the boat owner brings home a ton of deer, Good weather and 6 days out with 3 guys, they confirmed 3 sightings! NO shot taken. I didn't take my boat out last late fall because of the bleak reports-my dad was one of the three. Montague might be your best bet. Hell who knows you just might find what nobody else is! Goodluck, watch the weather closely out that way.