Thread: What-a-Day Finally Hit the Water

Default What-a-Day Finally Hit the Water

Well we finally got What-a-Day in the water. Two days on the Sound and then down to Seward for the sea trial and warrenty certification.

The boat scaled out at about 7500lbs dry and will be about 11,000lbs fully loaded. Hense, it is a bit slower and uses a bit more fuel then originally expected. It is still good though. We had to drop 3 prop sizes to get full 3500 RPMs at WOT.

With the G3 prop it will run at about 35 MPH at WOT. Cruise will be at about 27mph at 2900 RPMs. Still not bad. It is burning 15 GPH at WOT and 9.5 GPH (2.8 MPG) at 2900 RPM cruise. These numbers were at half fuel, full water, all the gear I thought I might ever use, and 3 people in the boat. It barely reached 3500 RPMs with a G4 prop so we went down one more to handle the full load without lugging the motor.

No pictures on the water yet.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Congratulations! Sure looked like a rough, wet one as you were pulling away from the fuel dock. Do you miss your C-Dory?

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Well we finally got What-a-Day in the water. Two days on the Sound and then down to Seward for the sea trial and warrenty certification.

The boat scaled out at about 7500lbs dry and will be about 11,000lbs fully loaded. Hense, it is a bit slower and uses a bit more fuel then originally expected. It is still good though. We had to drop 3 prop sizes to get full 3500 RPMs at WOT.

With the G3 prop it will run at about 35 MPH at WOT. Cruise will be at about 27mph at 2900 RPMs. Still not bad. It is burning 15 GPH at WOT and 9.5 GPH (2.8 MPG) at 2900 RPM cruise. These numbers were at half fuel, full water, all the gear I thought I might ever use, and 3 people in the boat. It barely reached 3500 RPMs with a G4 prop so we went down one more to handle the full load without lugging the motor.

No pictures on the water yet.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Miss my old C-Dory

Do I miss my old C-Dory. In some ways yes, and some ways no. There were a lot of family memories made in that good old boat. Its now making memories for a new family.

Denny
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Get a pyrometer on that rig so you know how hard the engine is working & run the exhaust out thru a muffler(less back pressure). I think we talked a bit in West Marine one day this summer??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Denny, congrats! I heard it looks great on the water. Glad the diesel is performing well!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Better late than never

Denny, congrats on finailly finding some water. Bet she looks good in the chop. I guess that moves me a bit closer to the front of the line. Call when you get to Seward, I would like to checkout the finished product.