Thread: Website for four different flies?

Default Website for four different flies?

I was hoping you folks would be able to help me find a place to purchase four different flies. My father hasn't been able to find them locally or online. He would prefer to purchase the flies online if at all possible. They are listed below. Thanks for any and all comments.

Chad

Coho Fly
    Flash Fly
    Russian River Fly
    Pink Pollywog

the coho fly and the russian river fly are the same cabela's has all of em...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Thanks for such a quick response!

I appreciate the response. I just briefly looked at the flies on the Cabelas website and wasn't able to find the Coho Fly/Russian River Fly. I may just have missed it. Can you post a link or be more specific as to where to find it on the website? Also, I noticed many of the flies, such as the Pink Pollywog, are not sold individually through Cabelas. Are there any other websites you know of that might sell one type of fly by the dozen or so?

Thanks,
    Chad

Try Hills Discount Flies. Very quick and great to deal with.

coho/russian flies are extremely common and cheap; often sold in packs for less than $1/fly. Where's "locally"? just about any fishing/hardware store in Alaska has them - otherwise - they are available by the dozen on ebay. I have gotten them on cabela's, but its been awhile.

Default Clarifying something... Thanks for the responses.

Sorry for the confusion. By locally I meant my father hasn't been able to find them at the stores he usually frequents in NY. I told him he should just wait until he gets to Alaska for our fishing trip, but he would much rather at least have some before we get there. Maybe I will take a look at Ebay. Any other suggestions for online sources?

Thanks,
    Chad

theflyshop.com has lots of alaska flies (nice ties/hook quality/fast shipping).

Default Wogs in NY?

I wonder if he'll find pink pollywogs in new york?

Fish Alaska magazine and the NY Times (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1) have stories of pink pollywogs catching silvers in Cordova. But wogs come in different materials with some variations made of spun deerhair and others all foam.

If not available in NY, Mountain View Sports in Anchorage usually has them - foam versions I think. Worldwide Angler, further south might. McAfees has other flies, but don't recall seeing wogs there or at 3 Rivers (Wasilla) a couple months ago.

Did he get these names from a list of recs from somewhere? The small/local fly shops offer the best local knowledge if he's interested in other flies too. If he'll be fishing with an outfitter/guide service, they'll often have good recs about best local flies and where to get them.

Good luck.

AFFG has a pile of flash and everglow flies, 6 different wogs, and enough other salmon flies to fill anyone's box.

While I love Cabelas, their flies are crap. Take the above suggestion and go to Hill's Discount Flies. They have a great selection and very good website. Fast delivery too.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Do either you or your dad tie flies? If so, figure out how to tie a Russian fly and use the Mustad Russian River hook. Great hook, not too much $$$. If you tie regularly, you'll probably be able to tie 15-20 in an hour.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Great flies!!

Can't believe I forgot to mention this earlier...

The best flies I have found are at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in Juneau. Nice website too. I ordered a bunch of esl (and a few others) for a recent float trip in NW for dollies. Got my biggest dolly ever (14 lbs) on one of those flies and continued using it the rest of the day. I have never seen flies that lasted so long. I was so impressed with the esl, I got home in late Sept and ordered another 100 or so of the esl. Best (by far) I have ever seen. If you are looking for top notch flies check out the website below. Nice people too!

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...by=product_sku
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default ESL's

Dang Dan, 100 flies. That is some serious money!!! I haven't used any flies from Alaska Flyfishing Goods, but some of my buddies swear by them, and coming from some of them, that means a whole lot to me. I need to get some mouse patterns for my Kanektok float this year, I am not even going to try spinning deer hair, and I will be ordering from Brad at Alaska Flyfishing goods. I have ordered a few things from them, and have always been more than pleased with both their service, and the products they sale. They are a great local Alaskan business, and worth looking into.

Jake

Default Coho fly hooks

The standard coho fly uses the Mustad 36717 streamer fly hook. I never really cared for this hook, and prefer instead the Mustad 36890, with its turned up eye. This hook is much easier to sharpen and has worked well for me over the years.

I know it doesn't help you find the flies (which you will have no trouble finding once you get here, believe me), but really you should have a look at the hooks used with most coho flies.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Thanks You!

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question in the last several weeks/months even though this is an older thread. Does anyone else know of any reputable online sources that sell these flies?

Thanks,
    Chad

Default Cabelas...

I've used Cabelas before - nymphs and dry flies run approx $9/dozen for small flies. I recently placed my first order with Alaska Fly Fishing Goods for this year's family flyout. Depends on one's priorties of course. Last year, esp for family group outings I quit tying small flies and started buying them.

Most I purchased were grayling flies from Mtn View Sports.
    Likely the cost per fly is higher locally - shipping costs here sometimes make it a wash - but I recommend the local fly shops for the best in local knowledge. Personnel in the flyshops are local fishermen/women too - and usually have a personal stake in the flies and advice that comes from their shops. Sometimes, they'll have interesting variations too. Last year, at Mtn View, I found some Parachute Adams tied with red parachutes (instead of white) which were easier to see on-stream sometimes. When I fished Kodiak, I found several flies locally that weren't sold back in Anchorage area - and which I saw succeed for locals on-stream. But online, I'll add Cabelas because I was pleased with the flies I tried out last year.

You could also contact the local fly shops directly about the flies of interest to you/your father. Who knows? (3 Rivers Fly & Tackle in Wasilla..and in Anchorage: McAffees Fly Shop, Worldwide Angler, Mountain View Sports).
    Best of luck with your upcoming trip.

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    Does anyone else know of any reputable online sources that sell these flies?

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...by=product_sku