Thread: Over for another season

Default Over for another season

Well shrimp'in closes tonight for another year, hope you all did well with the bugs this year & have plenty socked away in the freezer.
    waaah.gif

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Angry Sunday

I pulled the pots for the year on Sunday. The pot puller would not start so I hand lined 700 feet and five pots. Someone had pulled them in and dumped them again. So at times I was pulling five ropes at once and had two pots tied together in a ball of rope. I just had to dump the whole mess on the deck and take it home last night. It sure is strange that with all the weekenders gone, that someone local would still be going 26 miles out of port to pull someone elses pots. They pulled my partners too, 200 yards away.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This is the first season I've shrimped. So far I learned where not to drop pots, but at least I did manage to keep from getting them stolen/lost.

Default Hey there

If you need some new spots' "for where not to shrimp" just let me know, cuz I found a few really, really good ones this year. corrdinates are free for the asking
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I never got skunked, but hand pulling pots and lines with a combined 12# of lead to keep them put for a dozen shrimp just isn't worth it.

I've been given some good advice on where to drop the pots, it just didn't coincide with where I was going when I dropped them.

If you poach a lobster trap down here you better hope it's the Law who catches you. The fisherman don't take kindly to that kind of stuff. Also one will tell a story of what happened and all the others will back them up. Besides, if you poach a pot you should have your azz kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    If you poach a lobster trap down here you better hope it's the Law who catches you. The fisherman don't take kindly to that kind of stuff. Also one will tell a story of what happened and all the others will back them up. Besides, if you poach a pot you should have your azz kicked.
    I tell folks something similar all the time. "Alaska's a big state....there's lots of room to hide the bodies!" And that was before I even started counting the water!