Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first moose with a bow!!

Smile My first moose with a bow!!

I did it! This morning at about 0900 I took my first moose with my bow!

I figured this season was shot with finishing the house, but the wife headed off to take the kids to school at about 0815 and a couple of minutes later I got a phone call. "Hon, are the moose with two spikes legal?" "Yep", I said. "Well if you want one, there is one just off the end of the runway."

Now this "runway" is about 300 yards from my house. So I got my bow out of the shed (I'm inside the Palmer/Wasilla weapon restriction area) and headed down the road. I found a cow just off the road looking at me as I went by and just caught a glimpse of another moose 30 yards into the woods. I parked the truck and walked toward the vacant driveway leading into the woods where the moose had been.

I just crested the small hill where I could see down the road and saw the spike. He had spotted me also, turned and started walking away. I ducked down near some brush and started a series of soft bull grunts while swaying my bow back and forth. The bull stopped and looked back at me, then decided to come check me out. He turned at about 40 yards, but I haven't shot my bow nearly enough this summer to feel comfortable that far out so I kept grunting. He walked steadily toward me and at 14 yards he turned broadside and stopped. I grunted again as I drew the bow and let 'er fly! A perfect shot (at least it hit the point I was aiming at...). He ran about 20 yards and stopped. He just stood there for about 2 minutes then he lay down. After another minute or two, he set his head down so I figured he was done. I backed out to my truck and went back to the house and got my cell phone and picked up a neighbor to help me load him up.

We went back to the moose and eventually pulled him out of the woods with my 6x6 and towed him right up on to my snowmachine trailer. My dad, 6 year old daughter and I then spent the next few hours dressing the bull and now he is hanging in the shed!

I didn't get much done on the house today, but I managed to fill the freezer!! He should be a tasty one too, about a 6" spike on both sides. I'll post a pic when I get them downloaded later tonight.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Congrats mud! Best tasting kind too.

Congrats Mud ! I know how you feel...meat in the freezer is a GOOD thing ! Glad it was an easy hunt for you too.
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    A perfect shot (at least it hit the point I was aiming at...). .
    If only you could do that with your Glock !

Talking Nice!

Pics, or it didn't happen!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Congrats man way to get after it....

dude I was sitting here smiling the entire time reading this just as excited as If I was there for ya.job well done and congrats,but you should tell momma thanks for spotting it for you Man Im excited.wahoo! you'll never forget your 1st with a bow.Daniel

Good job dude, I know how you feel. I wasn't even planning on moose hunting this year but when you come home and theres a spike literally in my backyard, it was a little hard to pass up. And driving your pick up to within 10 feet of the dead bull to haul it away was even better. Having already eaten some cheeseburgers of him, I'll tell you that them young spike bulls are quite tasty!...grin

Man, that is just awesome! I can't wait to get my package of fresh tenderloins at work tomorrow.

Too cool man, congrats! I haven't really hit it hard yet, but have looked around a little and came up empty. I keep staring out the window and hoping a little spike bull will come wandering by. I'll be watching more now after reading this post.

Way to go, Rob.

Great story!

Crazy, I have probably 20 days in the field backpacking endless miles this year and I have seen 2 legal moose, one was on the other side of a canyon and the other was wasting no time getting out of dodge and is likely somwhere in the Aleutians right now. You lay down the nail gun for an hour grab your bow and fill the freezer.
    Well congratulations! I am glad someones hard work is paying off!

Thanks for the words guys, here's a pic!!

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The next time she tells you to clean something or go shopping with her you better jump up and get on it or the next time she see's one she just might say screw him i didn't see nothin

too cool......congrats
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Congrats Rob. My search still continues to find that spikes great great grandfather.

Default I guess I'm the only one

That sees a problem. The use of a cell phone to guide you to a moose ? Not trying to rain on your parade. I don't have the book in front of me. but it don't sound legal to me. But hay maybe I'm wrong.

that'll cook up nice
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    That sees a problem. The use of a cell phone to guide you to a moose ? Not trying to rain on your parade. I don't have the book in front of me. but it don't sound legal to me. But hay maybe I'm wrong.

I bet she stopped at a pay phone, no problem using land lines. Nice moose! One of the bennies of living in the great state....enjoy!

Congrats Mud,

The communication devices rule applies to actively directing a hunter to game during a stalk.

Getting a cell-phone call saying there's a moose in the vicinity of such and such landmark is only illegal if both parties stay in phone contact until the moose is spotted by the hunter--or so say's my retired Wildlife Trooper friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast