Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pleasant interaction with the Alaska State Troopers.

Default My pleasant interaction with the Alaska State Troopers.

Well Saturday started off like many before it. I loaded up every gun I own, several thousand rounds of ammunition, my wife, 3 kids and our dogs in my new truck.

We hit the road a little later than I had planned, and I realized before I left Anchorage that I didn't have a moose tag. Even though we were going shooting, I figured it would be in my best interest to be legal if I came across a bull standing on the side of the road.

I went to Fred Meyer but found out that they weren't open till 7 so I went to Eagle River Wal-Mart and got a tag. It was 7 before I got back on the road so I relented to the fact that I probably wasn't gonna see a moose... I just relaxed and took in the Fall colors on my drive North!

We stopped at Eureka and had breakfast and then continued on to Lake Louise road. When we reached the first tower my wife noticed a moose standing about 25-30 yards off the road to our right. I got out with my binos and looked at the rack to see if it was legal. It turned out to be a fork horn.

It was positioned in such a way that didn't allow me to see it's head or tail. All I could see was horns and kill zone!

So we said a short prayer of thanks and I gave her the camera to video me taking the moose. I retreived my .375 from my truck and loaded it while I walked to the rear of the truck. The meat was already in my freezer as far as I was concerned!

I decided to walk as close as possible and make a good video of me stalking and taking the moose! So I exited the roadway and began my stalk, keeping the trees between me and him. Once I made it about 20 feet off the road I heard a man yelling to me "stop, don't shoot, it's a decoy.... Alaska State Troopers.... save your ammo, Sir!"

To say that I had a lot of mixed emotions about the situation is putting it lightly! At first I was surprised then a little disappointed, then I was slightly embarrassed that I almost shot a decoy!

The Troopers approached me and I unloaded my rifle and waited on them. I recognized the first Trooper as the one that took the report from us this winter when my trappin' buddy "Steve" had a trap stolen. So I told him I recognized him and he remembered me. They checked my licenses and tags and told me that I "was a great example to my family and to other sportsmen!" They told me that I "did everything right!"

Trooper #1 introduced me to Trooper #2... all in all it was a very pleasant experience, other than the fact that I didn't get any meat out of the deal! They told me I was free to go, so I went to the end of the road and shot off a lot of ammo!

In retrospect I guess I could have done things differently and I could have ended up with a ticket or worse, but I chose to do things legally! I explained to my kids that even when you don't think anyone is watching, that you should still conduct yourself like there are Troopers in the bushes watching you!

It was a great lesson for me, and my family. Tuesday night I plan on kicking around some fields North of Anchorage, so maybe there's still a chance that I can legally fill that tag! We'll see!

- Clint

Hey clint, Nice story! So these troopers must have guts, you could have been unloading .375 death in their direction. LOL Guess they were trying to catch people shooting from the road?
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 09-15-2008 at 23:09. Reason: language

Hey, What's up PB? They ain't got nothin' to worry about... you of all people should know that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!

Yeah, they said they were trying to catch people that were shooting FROM the road!

- Clint

Not sure of the exact defination but it sounds like what I would call entrapment.....or, almost entrapment!

Default everywhere

this type of decoying happens often in the lower 48 - and I hear it does up here too. Heard of them using ptarmigan and grouse also as baiting.

If you are legal and take those 2 oh so difficult steps off the road in a legal hunting area you should have no worries.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well today is the last day in (remainder 20B) and tomorrow. there will be decoys out in fields around town... Just Outside the Fairbanks management area( open till the 30th) they have done so the last 5 years here and busted quite a few guys.

i had a trooper ( same one every year) tracked me 17 miles last time out just to check our tags and ATV trailers.... they are out there and they are watching.. stay legal, they stay nice..

I still get a kick out of the TAZERS though..like Alaskancajun, i usually carry more guns and ammo then i need....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

They do this same thing here in WI all the time to get people to shoot from the road... I saw a nice buck and stopped the truck to glass him, only to notice in the rear view mirror someone watching me from the bushes... Guess who, Game Warden so I backed up and talked to him, he said he had caught 6 people already and this was at 10 am... I thought the same thing with entrapment... oh well if you are legal who cares...

Default Entrapment

While unless the moose taunts you into shooting it from the road it is not entrapment. If I leave my keys in my truck and you steal it, is it entrapment?

Unhappy entrapment

Entrapment is when they take a gorgeous blonde and dress her like streetwalker and sit her next to the road with a bud light in her hand...thats inhumane....sorry personal issues....anyway a moose next to the road is a lot easier to resist.....down on the Kenai they use a stuffed spruce hen as a relative found out the hard way...the blonde I saw on cops....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default entrapment

If you are stupid enough to knowingly break the law, then you probably deserve whatever you get. How else are the Troopers gonna catch you doing what you normally do, if they don't put a decoy out and set up on it? It's no different than leaving a bike or car in a high crime area and arresting everybody who steals it! Right?

- Clint

On Michigan Out of Doors a few years ago, they went along with the DNR on one of these stings. After they busted a couple of road shooters, a pickup came along, eyed the phony deer up (it had a realistic tail that moved), and the guy DROVE STRAIGHT OUT INTO THE FIELD AND RAN THE DEER DOWN! It was hilarious. They got the guy for all the usual stuff, plus no ORV sticker and destruction of state property

I had a simillar situation here on the kenai but with a spruce hen instead. Me and a buddy were driving a gravel road looking for grouse. We spotted one on the side of the road so my friend went into the trees behind it with the shot gun and I walked to it trying to spook it off the road to him. I took a few steps and it didnt move, I got closer and it still didnt move. finally I walked right up to it and picked it up, just as a trooper came busting through the bushes. He thanked us for not shooting on the road and for being sportsmen for only wanting to shoot them in flight.
    He checked our licenses, shook our hands, and let us go. We drove up the road a ways parked on a hill and watched several people get tickets for shooting on the road. It was pretty entertaining.

Default Entrapment?

It's not entrapment - The Troopers did not point out the moose from the road and then tell him to shoot it in order to later charge the individual with a crime.

Columbia Encyclopedia: entrapment,
    in law, the instigation of a crime in the attempt to obtain cause for a criminal prosecution. Situations in which a government operative merely provides the occasion for the commission of a criminal act (e.g., when an undercover agent posing as a narcotics dealer is approached by a would-be customer) do not constitute entrapment. Only when the crime was not initially contemplated by the target is entrapment said to occur: thus, for example, an undercover agent may not recruit a previously law-abiding individual into a drug distribution ring in order to prosecute.

Default Decoys...

My friend and I did a real stealthy stalk on another hunter's set of goose decoys once. He waited until we were pretty close to embarrass us. Man, we felt silly.

I had a trooper check my duck stamps the other day. One in the group actually didn't have the federal stamp - the knucklehead at Freddy's said he only needed the state stamp (I know, still his fault, I lectured him about it). Anyway, the trooper was really nice about it. He didn't cite him and told him he could walk out with us sans gun, or he could go back to Walmart and get the fed stamp, which he opted to do. I was pretty impressed he didn't ticket the guy. We hadn't started hunting yet, but still, we were obviously just about to. I have typically had really good experiences with troopers. They like you out there doing it, as long as you're doing it right. I haven't seen them out there to ruin anyone's day or bust anyone's rump unless they are breaking the law.

Entrapment - I think this would be if the trooper was in plain clothes on the side of the road, and he flagged you down and said, "Look at the fork moose over there. You should shoot him. Quick! Don't worry about getting off the road; just shoot!" I think they need to engage and encourage you to do something bad for it to be entrapment. Decoying like this is just creating the opportunity for you to do something illegal, especially if doing the legal thing is so easy and available, i.e. stepping off the road. It's no different than setting up a speed trap right at a school zone...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I think I would still have a little conversation with the guy at Freddy's!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Smile

That decoy must have really looked ..............real. Look at it as a practice hunt. You did everything correct and got graded by the State police. Better luck next time.

Default Entrapment?

I don't know how it is now, but for years it used to be that any car parked along the Old Glenn near the Butte would get torched over night. I suggested to a trooper boss that they park an old car and hide in the woods to try to trim down the arsonist population out there. I got eyes rolled at me. Now they're hiding in the woods watching stuffed spruce hens. Hmmm.

a few years ago, here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, a grandfather was driving down a two rut trail. They saw a Ruffed grouse in the middle of the road. The old fellow proceeded to speed up the truck (he was going to show his grandson what they looked like when the flew). Come to find out, it was a decoy that was placed there by the DNR. They were gonna catch someone shooting out of thier truck. But all they ended up with was an old man looking at a flat decoy. Seems the DNR officer gave the old man a ticket for destruction of state property.
    The judge dismissed the ticket, and told the DNR officer that true the states decoy got destroyed, but that next time dont put the blasted thing in the middle of the road!

They set those type of stings up ever year around here, always where it is (for some reason) illegal to shoot. They catch a lot of people every year.
    They used to announce on the radio where the speed traps were every morning. One time they caught the gal that took the call less than an hour before.

We also have had a pleasant experience with the Alaska State Troopers. We were near Lake Clark somewhere and on the 7th day my hunting partner shot a marginal width moose. We called the bush pilot who had dropped us off and he came right in to take us out. (I had shot a real nice moose the 1st day.) To make matters worse the darn marginal moose had a tracking collar on, or some sort of collar with a small box attached. Anyway the troopers met us in Kenai and listened to my buddys story and let him go with it. It was a happy ending to a possible bad ending. We donated the meat from that moose and about half of mine. I was impressed by the Trooper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast