Thread: Russian River this upcoming weekend?

Default Russian River this upcoming weekend?

My brother is in town and I was thinking of taking him up to the Russian this upcoming weekend, Sept. 21. I have not been up there this late in the season and am curious as to what people think the odds of getting into some silvers would be?

I imagine there are still a ton of spawned out sockeyes in there and bears mulling around to get them, which is the main reason I was thinking of heading there. I figured the hike to the falls would be a nice hike too and get him into an area of Alaska he hasn't seen before. But I also thought if there were silvers around, that would be a bonus. Rainbows and dollies too maybe?

Any thoughts?

Also - does the campground stay open this late?

Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Last year we went on Sept 13. Lots of silvers, many still bright. But that was during a period when the count ended up being pretty large for silvers.

There were some great silver counts last week, so if you go to the falls, there are still probably a few decent fish around.

However, the limit is only 1 silver on the Russian, so it's almost not worth it...almost. 'Bow and dollies should be fun...as well as the bears...be careful!

As for the campground, services (i.e., dumpster emptying, outhouse service, etc.) have ended. So if you're willing to pack-in/pack-out or have a camper, you can call the Forest Service (Seward number: 907-224-3374) to see how long they plan to keep it open. Usually they keep it accessible until first snow.

Have fun!

P.S.--Haha...JG, didn't realize it was you...didn't look close at your avatar until just now...I'll try and call you tonight. WK (at your "wake-up" call on Sunday...)

Quote Originally Posted by fr4nt1c View Post
    P.S.--Haha...JG, didn't realize it was you...didn't look close at your avatar until just now...I'll try and call you tonight. WK (at your "wake-up" call on Sunday...)
    Thanks WK - wife just called and said you called over to the house. Too funny. Thanks for the info on the Russian. Mainly wanted to find a spot that would be a decent hike for my brother with some fishing mixed in there as well. I have been up there with all of the reds spawned out as well and it is such a great photo opportunity with the 'sea of red' in the river. He is not a huge fisherman, but mostly into the hiking and seeing out of the ordinary things - I figured a river full of spawned out salmon was kind of out of the ordinary. Will talk with ya tonight.

P.S. I'll be sleeping somewhere else, anywhere, out of town on my birthday from now on.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.