Thread: the cost of a pistol

Default the cost of a pistol

as I have not had much experance at this, how or where can I get the fair market price of a pistol SW, model 28, 357 MAG ,6 inch Barrel, Blue, as I will be selling one
    "this is not a sale item now" I am just looking the find a place to get the fair market price any help out there

Sid

Default Prices

Sid,

Go to gunbrokers.com and you will be able to research your pistol and what it is worth.

Greg

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

One other resource for you:
    most gunshops will make a cash offer to you, which off course is a wholesale price.

Most will sell it at the price you want, on consignement for a commission cost, and can provide a price guideline. If it doesn't sell at your price, you take it home.
    To sell fast, list low. High end prices generally take a little long to move.

Note that on the web sites, people often list stuff for sale, vice auction. Remember the listed price to buy is not often the actually sale price. Auctions do often reflect the value of the item, but there are wide geographically differences in prices.

The Blue book of values is a good indicator of a range as well.

The auction sites will give you a good idea of what people will actually pay...doesn't matter what is initally asked in many cases. There are usually plenty of S&W M28s on Gunbroker...price will depend on condition. Look at the auctions where people are actually bidding and see what the gun finally sells for. That's a fine revolver and quite popular among S&W fans...had one myself in 4" for a number of years and shot the doo-doo out of it. Someone will buy it...good luck.

I bought a model 28-2 (1976 vintage) new-in-the-box, two years ago and paaid $600. SOme S&W revolvers are selling, on public auction sites, for much more than the blue book prices. Condition matters a lot but what matters more is the era of the gun. When was it made. Not to debate which era is the better gun, but the demand and the prices are higher for older guns. Specifically the pinned and recessed guns and a premium is paid for the guns made before the lock was installed in the frame.

So what I'm saying here is check around or simply sell it on a site that folks can bid on and you'll get more money.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Funny...I never even consider the newer S&Ws with the cast triggers & hammers, safety locks, sleeved barrels, etc. Just don't seem like the same gun...even the so called "Classic" series has that stupid safety lock. I think that's one reason why the prices seem high on the older guns...some loyal S&W fans just don't like the changes and will pay almost as much for an older model as a new one in some cases. I count myself among those buyers...I wouldn't buy a new one for any reason, unless I got it really cheap and could make some quick money on it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...rm/f/530103904 You must register but, then you can post a question.
    Steve

Default 6" S&W Mdl 28 value

Northern Security Supplies on old Seward had a 6" Mdl 28-2 P&R very near new - not even a hint of a cylinder ring - for $350 when I was in there yesterday.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They go for more than that here in Illinois?
    Steve