Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Hunt with a 7.62x54R?

Default Anyone Hunt with a 7.62x54R?

Hi all,

Anyone hunt with a Mosin in 7.62x54R? I know they are like a 308 to 30-06, but just looking for folks experiences with this caliber. Thanks

Ron

Never hunted with mine. To me, the Mosin-Nagant doesn't make a very good hunting rifle. For one thing, the trigger is terrible. The animal could be in the next borough by the time you take all the slack out. But the main thing is, the safety is basically unusable in a hunting situation. But if you feel comfortable with it, can shoot it well, and can be safe with it, there's no reason the caliber itself wouldn't work. With proper bullets, it should be useful out as far as you can use the open sights.

Default its a fine weapon to hunt with

i have one and i think its a fine weapon to hunt with. my trigger honest to god is not complete glass but pretty close! i haven't done anything to it at all. i think a 220gr chunk of lead will be plenty to kill a moose!

Default A Great Weapon for Hunting

I have one that shoots, nicely, the Woodleigh 303 British 215 grain (.312") and Barnes TSX 150 grain (.311") and the Hornandy 32 caliber 100 grain (312") XTP bullets.

The Hornandy bullets are loaded with about 19 grains of Alliant Steel and make a nice small game load; the other two are for large game.

I've got one made in Finland; it does a good job. I'm left handed, so I don't use it except close to home, when I've got the time to set up the shot and wont need a second very quickly.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

Anyone hunt with a Mosin in 7.62x54R? I know they are like a 308 to 30-06, but just looking for folks experiences with this caliber. Thanks

Ron
    I used one to take several Columbia blacktail on the west coast back in the early 1970's. Norma factory loads as I recall and shots were under 100 yards. Very dead deer. I let it go because I got a little jingle in my pocket and it was awkward for a lefty. But it darned sure did the job.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i had a Russian dragonof (similar to the Romak )I that i recently traded away... with that round it was effective to 1300 meters. i did a lot of target shooting with it and would have definitely shot a moose or bear with that round.. at 150 yards it went clean through a 15 inch birch. every time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the info. I owned one in the early 90's and never got the chance to take game with it. I picked up one the other day and wanted to try it this fall on white tails.

Ron

Should be good with good ammo (not militry FMJ).

KRS

That particular caliber kind of makes me laugh. The mosin nagant's are kind of well... Less desireable in my opinion. The saftey on them are wierd and they are just plain ugly. I have yet to see good ammo for one but i gurantee that it kills moose and bear. Not that I would use one when you have so many better options than one of those though.

Default huntingwith 7.62x54r

www.7.62x54r.net I believe will give you a great deal of information.
    Reviewing the ballistics would allow you to realize the similarity of th 30-06 200 grain and the russian 200 205 grain etc.
    www.sportsmansguide.com, www.midwayusa.com, all over the place.
    Norma or Russian, and I believe domestic manufacturers are now producing hunting ammo.
    Yes the safety is definitely simple but awkward to get used to , believe me, when I went to the range in preparation for the season I loaded the chamber, engaged the safety and banged the heck out of the thing trying to get the safety to come off. Nope, but, when I pulled the safety and pointed the weapon downrange, I was very happy.
    If you were to google the 'ugly'? m44 or m38 etc, you will find that there are people out there who have scoped them , handloaded casually for them and received sub minute of angle groups at 100 yards.
    Cannot tell you how many times I have seen hunters in the field and at the range who have disengaged the safety of the civilian rifles accidentally.
    Pretty hard to do with this one.
    Love my M44, lost the bayonet and the band, trimmed the wood but kept everything else, adjusted the trigger accidentally by removing action and bending the one piece spring steel a little more and received one heck of a trigger pull, yes there is creep then tension then let off, Love it, very deliberate shooting
    Plan on taking a few does this year here in NC with it, it is my crap weather gun, two screws and it is apart.
    I plan on buying one of those expensive 91/30's and scoping it, then using match ammo at the range for novelty.
    The nay sayers also said arrgh about the swede cartridge.

Default 7.62x54r

Oh , did I mention the mil spec ammo, whether light ball or heavy ball gives me two inch groups in my 44 at 100 yards? Really crude iron sights, "lousy" trigger pull, ahem
    18 cents a round to practice with, chrome lined bore, use the darn thing as a walking stick with the steel butt plate.
    I own a Sako, 99, 444, Marlins in 30-30 and 35, 308 Remington , etc,
    try going to the range and plinking at less than 20 cents a round with that stuff.........................

I've been thinking about getting one of these

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...id=-2091041362

It's only $69.

I've wanted one for a while now.

KRS

I have read a lot over the years on this gun. As I said before, I used to own one. The one thing that comes back time and time again is folks just don't care for the fact it comes from the former USSR. Now you folks on the board have been great, not like many others in other places. The gun is ugly, no safety, and a caliber that is close to an All American Legend, 30-06. But here are some reasons for me looking at one:

1) Cost. $99 dollars for a bolt action rifle.
    2) Strong Action
    3) 22 million made, meaning cheap spare parts.
    4) Cheap ammo
    5) World Wide available parts and ammo
    6) Proven in all kinds of weather
    7) Cheap accessories. Stocks, mounts, etc...

I have looked for similar things in rifles over the year in the same price range. Now I have 1200 dollar shooting irons, but I like the idea of a simple, strong and reliable rifle that I can put anywhere and not "cry" when something happens to it. Thou this may be the "favor of the month", I still seem to come back to it after 20 years.

Ron

I used to laugh at them awful looking things until I spent a saturday afternoon at the range getting rid of someone elses ammo. They were built to stand up to whatever war has to offer and I recon they do just that. No doubt they'd kill most anything shot in the goodies with the right bullet. However I gotta say leaving the good stuff home and hunting with one of those would be like going to a dance with a beauty queen and taking home the fat chick with wiskers!

That being said I got one! Mosin that is (not fat chick with wiskers) and I have had a lot of fun with it!

Not yet, but I want to... the military's are fun to hunt wiht..

I want to use the SMLE N0 4 303 first. Better sights, safety. Little easier to operate for me.
    I have 180 gr and 215 gr bullets for that rifle.

I would recommend the M39 Finnish of all the MN's, great trigger, easier to put a scout scope on, if you want a scope. They shoot great with 175 SMK 311 and 180 Speers for me. I loaded some 220 gr reming .308 and they group nicley as well. Very nice two stage trigger. I have some Wolfe 200 gr loaded rounds in the ready service locker. Moose is what I am think of hunting.

I hunt with and empty chamber, so I am not too concerned about the safety. I have carried in cold weather, and one can put the safety on and off with gloves easily. No chance of the safety slippin off either.

The others MN vary in quality, accuracy and have heavy, gritty triggers.

K31 is next on my list to hunt with.

I have shot game witht M94.14 and M38 Swedes. Deer and Mtn Goat. Iron sights.
    Works good.

Enjoy!

Default hunting with the 7.62x54r

For the guys that have responded positively and honestly about the old warhorses, thank you, it warms my heart to see that I am not the only guy who loves these old timers.
    The Sako with the hundreds of dollars synthetic stock with the Leupold Vari 3 scope and the overpriced mounts stays home, I would walk the fields and woods with the wood and metal rifles every time. Seems to make more of the experience.

Default winchester

i use winchester rounds. there an even $20 a box (and non corrosive, compared to the old mil rounds). the m44's are made to be shot with the bayonet out. if you keep it in the "harmonics" will be off.

I just picked up my M91/30 today.

Excited to learn about it, clean it, and take it shooting in a week or two.

I'd like to say it's a good specimen.... but I wouldn't know what to be looking for anyway.

KRS

Default hunt with 7.62

I hunt with a sporterized 1934 91/38. I have a very accurate load that another forum's members helped me develop . I also have originals to just shoot for fun. Factory Winchester ammo is $18.99 mil surp is 3 to 4 bucks.

Use a Weaver #1 base and Weaver 49350 side mount base ring. I've pics somewhere if anyone is interested

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast