Thread: Road access in 20-A

Default Road access in 20-A

I have never hunted this area before. Are there any good opportunities for road hunting in the Delta to Salcha area? Looking for a place to camp, perhaps with a small motorhome and 4-wheeler. Canoe-able ponds lakes? Thanks for any info.

Default Long Range hunting?

Sorry man, as far as I know, 20A is a fly-in or boat hunt, except in the winter when the river freezes over, then you can sled. I believe the borders are the Tanana & Delta Rivers and the peeks of the Alaska Range, but I'm not quoting the regs there. Good luck to you.

You will need a big Canoe. What time of year will yo be going to hunt 20A? There is a slim hope of being able to Canoe some of the sloughs and hunt the Islands in the river. Only hope of land hunting is the west side from the Parks highway from Healy to Nenana. If you are looking at a winter hunt, you can cross the river when it freezes over.
    Pick up a copy of the hunting regulations, and some maps before you set out thinking of a road hunt. The boundaries are clear in the regs, hard to translate without a good topo map in the field.

Thumbs up Thanks gentlemen

I have a 17' square stern w/ a 9.9, but no lift. Probably not big enough, huh?

I'm assuming that the Parks Highway has some pull-outs here and there between Healy and Nenana... been a long time since I drove that area. Guess I better get on Google Earth and look it over.

Default Yep, pretty much not road accessible

Quote Originally Posted by akman59 View Post
    Only hope of land hunting is the west side from the Parks highway from Healy to Nenana. If you are looking at a winter hunt, you can cross the river when it freezes over.
    To bring closure to this thread, and for anyone else who may be interested, after studying the maps, it is pretty clear that the Parks Highway side of 20A is closed (zones 1, 2A and B, and 7. It looks like there may be one little access area (zone 6B) on the southeast corner of 20A adjacent to the Richardson Highway. And I do mean little, about 5 miles. The rest of 6B is Ft Greeley, and I don't suppose there is any open hunting there, huh? Part of 2B is Ft Wainright also.

The only open areas I can see, besides that little corner, are either off the road or enclosed within the unit, such as 2B.

I can just imagine how many people would be vying to hunt that one little accessible corner!

Guess I may have to do a snowmachine hunt, as other access will prove to be too expensive.