Thread: Summer 08 - Highlights

Default Summer 08 - Highlights

Attached are a couple thumbs of some photo's from the summer.

Here's one that I am especially happy with, linked in Alaska.org:

http://gallery.alaska.org/main.php?g2_itemId=15994

Please toss some constructive criticism my direction!

Much obliged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default The Eyes Have It

Hmm.... seems that the linked photo looses something in the upload... let's see if this looks better.

Might have to get one of those fancy PhotoBucket or Flicker accounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the owl . . it has elements of a good photo. . . The one of the flowers the bee is OOF, and it's hard to tell what the subject of the photo is (the bees or the flowers?). I like the salmon shot, but it's a little abstract for me (too far away?). Nicely done, keep shooting,

SH

I agree with Sierra, but wanted to throw in my own two cents.

The fish has real potential, but the first negative to me is the dynamic range - and this is tricky anytime you're dealing with whites. Alot of the foam "whitewater" is blown out (overexposed) to me but of course the background is too dark. In a situation like this, unless you have a good graduated neutral density filter, you can take multiple exposures and compile them in photoshop or Photomatix.

Also, your proportions are off... You typically want relatively equal parts of fore, mid, and background. But with the water, it looks like you have all foreground, no mid, and a very small and dark background. I'd have personally taken another frame above this one, then combined them into a "square" composure, or done a portrait orientation with that line of jumpers.

Of course the trick with any wildlife is merely capturing them - there aren't always 5 fish in the air. But photo could be more captivating with only 3 good jumpers and proper composition. Great stuff though!!

And the owl's great!! I'd sharpen it a little... It's almost TOO symmetrical. Great expression though!! Keep it up!!!

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!
    I knew something wasn't quite right about the fish... I believe that'll help.

The owl... hmmm... That one is kicking my butt. Looks great in PS, notso on a web page, etc.

Thanks again. Much obliged!

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I knew something wasn't quite right about the fish... I believe that'll help.
    Do you have these images a raw data files, or did you shoot in JPEG only? I'd bet that with a RAW file the fish can be adjusted to look pretty good, but perhaps not if the JPEG is it only.

The owl... hmmm... That one is kicking my butt. Looks great in PS, notso on a web page, etc.
    That one is really interesting... Crop it to a 4:5 width to height aspect ratio (as posted, 400 pixels across and 500 high). Center the owl horizontally, and crop it so that the owls face is just about exactly 1/3rd of the way down from the top. That will put the out of focus bushes (actually the horizontal line formed between one set of bushes and the more distant and very out of focus bushes) right at about 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom.

Then make a rectangular selection that contains only the bird and some sky behind it (just make sure not to include any of the darker areas below the bird). Do a little bit of Unsharp Mask on that, and then do a little bit of Sharpening on it.

Then display it as an 8x10.

With the fish picture, if you have that as a RAW file, I think I'd crop it in much the same way too, though I'd have to look at it after getting the gamma and linearity adjusted.

However, if you want to see an interesting effect, load that image into an editor and use "curves" to adjust it. Initially you should have a straight line that goes from "black" at the lower corner and rises diagonally to "white" at the opposite top corner. Set a point into the curve exactly in the center. (Don't move the curve, just put a point on it there so that that point will not move.) Then put a point half way from that middle point to the black corner, and another one half way to the white corner.

Now move the upper point perpendicularly away from the line down and to the right. Adjust the whiteness of the water with that point.

Then move the lower point (half way from black to the center) up and to the left, also perpendicular to the original line. Adjust the darkness of the green areas of background with that point.

The idea is pretty much that the line will stay fairly symetrical about that first center point. However, you might want to move the lower left of the curve to the right, to set the black point such that there is a nice looking "contrast", and you also might want to do the same with the upper right end of the curve to set the maximum white level just a hair below maximum (probably not needed if your monitor is good).

I don't quite like the results using a JPEG, but I suspect that a lot of detail in the highlights might have been lost in the conversion to JPEG, and would still be there if that is done to the raw data as part of the conversion process.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I think I managed your suggestions...

Regarding the fish photo... I took it in RAW. Dropped it on my laptop. My laptop decided, NOW would be a good time to have a hard drive hiccup. So, all I have is a small JPG of the original. Oh well, that's the fun of it.

Thanks again to everyone.

Happy with the owl... hoping to make it wall hanging worthy!

Beautiful....I like the focus of the eyes...so crisp! Very well done.

Great owl shot! Do you get to see them often?
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

those are awesome!!

Default Thanks

Thanks again for the comments! Much appreciated. This particular owl was flying, buzzing me more to the point, for the better part of a morning while hunkered down (hoping for caribou). No caribou were close; but the camera was close, the owl was tenacious. Cheers...