Thread: Argo With Dual Wheels/Tires

Mark

Default Argo With Dual Wheels/Tires

Anybody try this?

My math indicates that this would be cheaper than tracks and offer less ground pressure. It probably wouldn't be any good in deep snow like tracks, but in swamps, it looks like it would be unstoppable..............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool lookin......would that affect the turning-radius?

Mark

I suspect so. It would probably also be really tough on the chains and sprockets.

My partner and I were talking about it while on our hunt in a very swampy, Argo type of place, so when I returned I googled it up.

Apparently, at least one guy did it, but there isn't much more info out there on it.

I've seen guys do that before with 4-wheelers. They simply welded the rims together then they put a slightly smaller diameter tire on the outside. On hardpack, only the main tire would contact the ground, but when the terrain got soft there would be extra flotation from the extra tire.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

if all you are going to do is run swamp and cross lakes, go for it. otherwise be prepared for axle and wheel stud breakage.

Tracks for the argo would be cheaper
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Tracks for the argo would be cheaper
    My impression was that tracks were a couple grand, and the super tracks were nearly $4K.

I paid $600 for a new set of Dirt Devils for mine, mounted. Wheels? I don't know, but I'd suspect about $300 - $350. The adapters are available at the same site I got that photo. I don't know what they cost.

So about $1000 for dual wheels/tires.

I'm worried about what I and akfj40 mention; damage........chain, sprocket, axle, wheel stud, etc?

looked into it you only have a 1.5 foot print with the tracks any way and WAY more traction with them. And YES just like the tracks if your not on soft slippery stuff your going to tear stuff up with those duel wheels. cost way more expensive after repairs to damage in my opinion