Thread: Slide action on an 870

Default Slide action on an 870

Today I was out duck hunting and my shotgun worked fine all day long. When i decided to leave at the end of the day and tried to unload my gun I began having difficulties with the action. When I go to pull the forend back it goes part way and then begins to feel more than normal resistance, and then at the very end it gets stuck and I can't slide it forward without a whole lot of force. I got home and took it apart and had a look and can't see anything wrong with it, when I have the barrel off it seems to work just fine and when I put the barrel back on it begins to stick again. I was wondering if anybody knows what is wrong, or has experienced the same thing and if so what they had to do to fix it.

Thanks

1. Your ejector is staked into the side of the receiver via two pins. make sure it is not lose and pushing against the bolt. I have seen that happen a few times.

2. If you have the sporting style forearm, make sure it did not somehow get twisted off slightly t one side. that will make it bind against the receiver.

Are you still in Kenai or have you gone back to Los Anchorage for school?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Oh yeah I'm back in Los Anchorage unfortunately but tring to make the best of it. I'l take a look at the forearm and the ejector pins thanks

Default Getting Fixed

Well i remembered my buddy had an 870 super mag too, so i went and tried his forearm on my gun and it worked good and so I then knew thats what was wrong with my gun, I talked to wild west guns and they said this is pretty common with the Super Mags, and that it would only take them a couple of minutes to fix so I'm going to take it in there on Wed and am going to use my buddy's forearm tomorrow morning when I go out duck hunting. Man i Love it when teachers cancel my 8:30 classes during duck season.