Thread: Argo Owners

Default Argo Owners

What would make my Conquest seem to be lacking in power? I just replaced the clutch on the engine and also installed a new belt at the same time. It idles smooth and seems to run pretty good just seems to lack power. If you put it under a load(mud/bog)it seems to bog down and not turn full RPM.

I have noticed the fuel filter(new) does not fill all the way up with fuel. Could the pump be going bad and just not suppling enough fuel? My buddy's argo(conquest also) seems to have alot more power. He was running in High Gear mostly when I was having to run in Low Gear.

Any help would be nice. Thanks

Default lack of power

a few years ago I was using a old glycol drum to haul fuel. Apparently I did not get if flushed out good enough and I ended up with some green glycol in the bowl of my carb... it ran, but was very doggish and sputtered when I hit a bump and the engine tried burning glycol.

so that being said. I would look for some type of fuel contamination beyond the filter.

Good Luck.

Tom

try your air filter, fuel filter and change your spark plug. also how many hours on your machine? it may be time for a clutch rebuild. alot of gunk gets trapped in there

I just put a new clutch on the engine, new belt, new fuel filter,and new plugs. Also air filter.

I put a hole bottle of heat in the tank(full). Could that have been to much?

is your throttle cable got alot of slack in it? i have seen that happen alot, your carb is not getting opened all the way. also has the diff. ever been serviced? does it run better in nuetral while giving it gas? and only dog when in a gear?

The throttle is opening up all the way. I had my wife hold it full throttle while I watched to make sure the linkage was moving freely and all the way. Also I just serviced the diff. and yes it seems to rev up fine in nuetral but seems to be doggish in gear.

I have noticed that the fuel filter does not have much fuel in it(not even 1/2 full)while it is running. Could the fuel pump be losing pressure after it runs awhile and just not suppling enough fuel under a load? With the key on/or running you can tilt the fuel to one side and barely see fuel coming into the filter but setting their in nuetral it will rev up just fine.

Thanks for your help.

yeah you could have fuel problems, but hard to say with out seeing it. if you end up getting a pump i believe napa has one that is alomost identical, if you buy factory expect a 300 dollar bill. as far as the heet goes, its not idead for small enginges but if the tank was full i doubt you hurt anything. you might be getting enough drag from the tranny to make the little bit of fuel your are getting not be enough, and when your in nuetral you have enough fuel in the line to let it rev up because they dont hardley use any gas idleing. its not my money but it would be worth a shot on a fuel pump. my argo had a clear filter and i was getting no gas, i blew the line out from the carb back to the tank ( disconnect your hose from tank ) and had a wad of gunk that stopped the flow of gas complety worth a shot. hope i didnt confuse you.

I am going to NAPA right now and buy some new fuel line and a fuel pump. My buddy just bought a fuel pump from them and put on his and it seems to work just fine. The argo pump is suppose to have 2.76 psi and the NAPA pump has 2-3.5 psi. The argo dealer could not tell me the rate of flow for the argo pump but the NAPA pump rate is 28 gallons an hour. My buddy's seem to run ok so for the $43 it cost I'm going to try one.

Where are you located if you don't mine me asking? Also my machine has a total of 400 hours on it. The diff. does not grind and is smooth shifting, stays in gear with out jumping out. What could be causeing a drag in it. Also this is my first argo and it's all a learning exp. for me about these things. Thanks Again.

Try running it and then taking the spark plug cap off each side one at at time if the engine dies the valve rod came off (Easy fix) also this might sound stupid but did your throttle stop screw tighten up ? I always turned them down for my guides otherwise they only knew one speed FASST!!!!!! As far ar the Fuel pump I bought one from NAPA 2-6 lbs for $45 and it runs just fine cheaper than the $300
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Rodger,
    How much fuel should the fuel filter have in it while it is running? I pulled the spark plug wires off one at a time and it stayed running(missing but running). It seems to run like a champ in nuetral, turns good rpms, but under a load it seems doggish and does seem to turn as many rpms. It will start up with just a touch of the key also.

I talk to the argo dealer this morning and they were no help at all. They told me to check the clutch, belt, plugs, fuel filter. Then I reminded them they had just sold me all that stuff($$$$$$$$$). Their response then was take it to a small engine repair shop. Also they did mention checking the valve adjustment. Would that make a big difference?

I took my tracks off because the machine just had no power with them on. With the tracks on and on my gravel road if you put it in high it wouldn't hardly take off. You had to run in low if you wanted to run the tracks.

Thanks for the help Rodger and NAPA is ordering me a fuel pump. I'm hoping that the pump just isn't suppling enough fuel under a load. I think that the fuel filter should be atleast halfway full of fuel. Anyway when my pump comes in I will be installing it and all new fuel line from the tank to the carb.

The fuel pump should have nothing to do with power if it was not getting enough fuel the engine would die or at least spit and sputter, I always put the see thru filters on that way you can see what's going on. It does not have to have much fuel in the filter to run. You can pop the 2 valve covers off and just take a look and see if both pusher rods are still attached. Or try runnign ti without the air filter and see if you have more power. I know when they get dirty they will sometimes do that.

Rogwe

Default Clutching

I have a 2001 Conquest and have had similier problems with it lacking power. I run the wide plastic tracks with 1" angle iron for grousers. It seems to start acting like it's sluggish on power when it gets up to temp. I have replaced the secondary spring because it was weak and didn't meet the factory spring tension of 18lbs. plus or minus 3.7 . I was looking at the secondary clutch and noticed that the belt sits low in the groove, 1/4" below the lip. Although this seems to be normal according to the manual. But, this possibly could cause it to act like its taking off in second gear, so to speak. You want the belt to be as far to the outside of the secondary clutch as possible to give you the lowest ratio. Clutching is a big deal on Argo's, because there power to weight ratio isn't all that good.

Before you buy a fuel pump.

Having air in the fuel filter is not a problem as long as you have enough fuel. I would remove the gas line from the carb, and put it in a container and see how much fuel is coming out; you could also put your finger on the end and see how much pressure you have, run it for at least 1 min. I would also check compression on your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I would also check compression on your engine.
    Good point !!!!!!!

HD4CAM,
    Did you ever get yours figured out? I notice the same thing when it gets up to temp and that's when you really notice it. Thanks

450Hunter,

When I installed the new secondary spring it made a difference, but after about 30 hours with the new spring it seemed to not have the same 'get up and go'. Unlike a snowmachine, the clutches on the Argo never get air circulating to help keep them cool. I suspect that the spring gets fatiqued after awhile due to the heat build up. It really does depend on what you drive through all the time. I'm always going through deep mud and skeg, and rarely go faster than 10mph. Most of the time I keep it in Low range, because with going through the skeg and things I'm hauling it won't pull High range very well.

I know I have an '08 EFI but I had that problem on a ride one and it was just a pinced fuel line. I put and elbow conector in it and no more problems. the pump was sucking the line closed at the pinch point. same thing reved up in nutral fine put it in gear and dogged out. try that

Where was the line pinching?

there was a bend in the line like they used too long of a line for the run i just traced the line and found the bend cut out about an inch and stuck in the elbow never had any more problems . i think it was near the fuel filter.