Thread: Butte creek trail

Default Butte creek trail

was wondering if anybody has been up that way on the Denali hwy, any trail condtions update that way. Thinking of heading up there for moose/grizz only have the last 5 days of the season, so was thinking of giving that a try. Thanks

I was up there the beginning of August and the trail was great. Butte creek itself was very high at the time, if you try to cross it, use caution.

I know this thread is 2 1/2 years old. Trying to find out if you can cross by foot once you get there? Wanting to do some hiking late July.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

late july flow is often low as the snowmelt is well finished, but really depends on the rain. i have not been in all the headwaters but the glacier portion of the flow is rather insignificant I believe

get a pack raft and expand your hiking options by 100 times, because unless it's blown out, you can cross most anything, and generally stay dry doing so.

It depends alot on where your crossing,how far in you are. I fish it about 8 miles in,and you can pretty much cross most places.

That is very beautiful country. How far back on the trail would you like to go? And when you say cross by foot.. do you mean cross butte creek by foot, or cross other creeks along the trail? At what mile would you want to cross at? If you were able and willing to hike 20 miles back there you can find some shallow sections you could wade through butte creek no problem. I'm not too familiar with the first 10 miles. I've been there with kenairmk when the water was high. Would not be a very fun hike! Even the first mile of the trail was 1-3.5 foot of water in very long sections, and the creek itself was 7-8 feet in sections that were normally 3 feet, and SWIFT. It will all be dependent on the conditions the week before you hike, and the weather during your hike. Good think AK weather is predictable!

My avatar to the left is of a grayling I caught and butte creek is behind me.

I once crossed Butte Creek on an ATV and ended up spending two days on the other side because the water doubled in a few hours. Usually it's moderately challenging on an ATV, and pretty easy on foot. However, the trail to it is infested with slick mudholes and the hiking would be miserable.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

MR Grailing
    If you are talking about the same one( Butt Creek trail) I go on the by the Big sue crossing
    You take the trail kinda south and go by Snodgrass lake the trail comes to a Y you go left and it will
    take you to Butt creek and but if you go right it will take you up higher and follow the creek way back in
    about 7 1/2 miles in you will cross Wickershem creek just pass that to the left there is a trail to take you to
    Butt Creek for some awsome fly fishing
    We go back in every year get some birds ,fish and with some beer and have what we call alaska surf and truf at a camp fire
    life is good

Thats the place, only we go in about 20 miles.

My concern is that I need to find a decent place to cross that does not require me going for a swim? I'm going to hike the trail at the beginning and end of July. Hopefully I will find a place to cross on foot.

It's completely unpredictable. You shouldn't have any issue if the creek is low at any of the places we listed above if the weather is good.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for all the info.