Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose question

Default moose question

The only time I can get off to get out hunting is after the 21 Sept. I was gonna try to HIKE into 14c "remainder" (since that goes until sept 30th) either from Knik rd. or Girdwood. I have never been to either spot so, can this be done and will I see moose or is it a ridiculous idea???

As far as I can tell from the regs, any of the tan/numbered stuff in 14c is by permit only??? But, there are no permit/hunt#'s for Chugach State Park Mgmt Area, is that area included in the "remainder"??? I didnt think so, but I am going to talk to f&G Monday for clarification, just thought I'd see what others had to say.

I am basically out to get some meat and I am out of options due to tight budget. So, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Jason
    Last edited by ripnlip; 09-14-2008 at 04:56. Reason: addition

Default Ship Creek Valley

You can get a registration hunt for Ship Creek Valley starting 8 OCT and hunt starting 25 OCT thru 30 NOV. Get the permit as soon as it is available, because they go fast. This was a pretty sucessful hunt last year and the rut may still be going early during this hunt. It is an any bull hunt. I was gonna do it, but I took a spike over the weekend up north. You can get into the valley from Arctic Valley, Eagle River, Bird Creek or Indian Valley, but the easiest and closest access is Arctic Valley.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    You can get a registration hunt for Ship Creek Valley starting 8 OCT and hunt starting 25 OCT thru 30 NOV. Get the permit as soon as it is available, because they go fast. This was a pretty sucessful hunt last year and the rut may still be going early during this hunt. It is an any bull hunt. I was gonna do it, but I took a spike over the weekend up north. You can get into the valley from Arctic Valley, Eagle River, Bird Creek or Indian Valley, but the easiest and closest access is Arctic Valley.
    I didn't see anything about this on the F&G website, i've been checking those registration permits for the last few weeks and haven't seen anything new appear. I heard they did this hunt last year to take out a few more bulls, didn't hear anything about it for this year.

Page 70 of the Hunting Regs shows the Ship Creek registration hunt.

Default ship creek

I saw that hunt in the reg's. I was a little worried since it is during the rut and the meat tasting bad....is this something to be worried about if I go after a bull up there?

I've shot most of my bulls during the rut or very close to it and never had any issues with taste. Now caribou on the other hand, I wouldn't even think about shooting one during the rut. So that registration hunt is in the paper copy of the regs but not online?? That doesn't make any sense since you can register for them online.

That's because they won't be available until 8 October. As the web site says, if you do not see it on-line, check the paper regualtions as to when the permit will be available. You'll see it on the 8th. You can register for them on line as they become availalbe, not before.

Knik River Road: The entire end of KRR is private property. I won't say that getting access is impossible but you need to do your homework and figure out who to ask for permission to do it legally. Most of the folks out there are pretty private people hence the reason they live all the way at the end of KRR. If you are an A+ Bad-***** you can hike in over bold ridge to drop into hunter creek then climb all the way down (~5K vertical feet) and shoot a moose on the east side of the west fork, but you will have more than earned your moose for the year to say the least... Your round trip would be about 25 miles... The registration hunt looks like your best bet unless you have a buddy with an airboat that you can use to go up near the Knik Glacier. The mountain is dense foliage and you will have to do some real leg work to find a place to call or glass. You may be able to spot one from below then hike up to it, but again you will have EARNED that moose! The 20 mile side may be better access, but I haven't researched it like I have the KRR side. Good luck, and I am sorry for the doom and gloom report.

I've been thinking about doing the Ship Creek reg. hunt myself, if you decide to go that route drop me a line and maybe we can hit the field together a time or two.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Knik River Road: The entire end of KRR is private property. I won't say that getting access is impossible but you need to do your homework and figure out who to ask for permission to do it legally. Most of the folks out there are pretty private people hence the reason they live all the way at the end of KRR. If you are an A+ Bad-***** you can hike in over bold ridge to drop into hunter creek then climb all the way down (~5K vertical feet) and shoot a moose on the east side of the west fork, but you will have more than earned your moose for the year to say the least... Your round trip would be about 25 miles... The registration hunt looks like your best bet unless you have a buddy with an airboat that you can use to go up near the Knik Glacier. The mountain is dense foliage and you will have to do some real leg work to find a place to call or glass. You may be able to spot one from below then hike up to it, but again you will have EARNED that moose! The 20 mile side may be better access, but I haven't researched it like I have the KRR side. Good luck, and I am sorry for the doom and gloom report.
    Thanks Lu/everyone, I have heard about the same from others. Just tryin to weigh out some options. Looked at the 20 mile area but that is excluded from the remainder (its a draw). So, looks like the only option down there is kern/pete creeks and above Girdwood. So, I will most likely try for the registration up Ship.

I'm thinking about the Ship creek registration hunt too so if you all decide to go I'm always up for a little adventure. I figured this much out one can't do it alone already helped a buddy out with his moose and we had 4 wheelers.

Default Ship creek hunt is a bust

I hunted this area last year and the year before. I would call it a local moose calling
    competition with 10 hunters all in one valley calling to each other. Pretty much a big joke if your seriously trying to harvest a moose. All the moose are about 10 miles back in on the other side of the valley. Unless you have a helicopter your not going to even think about harvesting a moose out of that area. If a guy could get in there with a four-wheeler it might be another story.

Thanks for the info...

I talked to a guy who got one in there last year, he said they saw one or two others.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Bears

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have a few friends that live right by Hunter Creek - the moose population is down from previous years due to bears being all over the place. The last few years have seen good returns of fish and it's a popular spot for mommas and cubs to dine on everything they want; fish, rabbits, berries, trash and most of all; it was a popular place for moose to calve - thus the moose numbers dropping. I hate to add to the gloom and doom but it's going to be a few years before the cubs are away from the momma's and legal to take; should have good moosey numbers after that.

You are so right about the folks out there being quite private... I've been stopped on the streets going to my friends' places and asked what I was doing there, one guy even threatened to call the cops on me if I had intentions of hunting!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default 20 mile part of remainder

The 20 mile is also part of the remainder of 14C, it just falls into the 50 inch 3 brow tine rule. I checked with F&G last year about it and that is the answer they gave me. The drawing is only for the any bull rule, anyone else can hunt that area with a hravest permit, but must take a spike fork or 50 inch bull. Check with F&G to verify. It is pretty thick down in the river bottom and hard to get up high so you can glass, but you can probably do some calling from some of the sand bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Thanks Lu/everyone, I have heard about the same from others. Just tryin to weigh out some options. Looked at the 20 mile area but that is excluded from the remainder (its a draw). So, looks like the only option down there is kern/pete creeks and above Girdwood. So, I will most likely try for the registration up Ship.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default okelk...

....thanks, I will double check with the f & G to be sure, but I appreciate you bringing that up. Dang regs dont do a very good job of explaining, cuz it says "excluding areas listed above" (the 20-mile area).

Default Check the 20 Mile Again

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    The 20 mile is also part of the remainder of 14C, it just falls into the 50 inch 3 brow tine rule. I checked with F&G last year about it and that is the answer they gave me. The drawing is only for the any bull rule, anyone else can hunt that area with a hravest permit, but must take a spike fork or 50 inch bull. Check with F&G to verify. It is pretty thick down in the river bottom and hard to get up high so you can glass, but you can probably do some calling from some of the sand bars.
    You might want to re-read the Regs. 14C Remainder says

"14C remainder (excluding all areas listed above) which includes the 20 mile drainage, Eklutna Lake management area, anchorage management area, ship creek drainage above fort richardson, elmendorf airforce base, ft. richardson management area, and birchwood management area.

I agree w/ DOA... Sux but here is a map of D210 permit area which would be excluded from the "remainder of 14C" qualification

LuJon and Back country Rob.

Thanks for making my post for me guys! I live out that way and you hit the 3 major down sides of hunting out here for folks who don't live here.
    1) We don't like strangers are have no fears about confronting them.
    2) Virtually all the land on the south side is private.
    3) The terrain out here dictates excellent physical health and poor mental capacity or mental disturbance to attempt a moose hunt. BTW I'm just flat crazy and wouldn't hunt moose off the south side of the road, except in the area behind my house, public access areas get steep quick.

We are experiencing a down trend in Moose and a up in bear populations this year, but I remain hopeful. If nothing else we do have a 6-7 foot blackie running around that will make a fine rug and great eating! Seems to me the whole state is a little bear thick this year.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast