Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Outfitter Fleece vs Wooltimate w/ Windshear

Default Cabelas Outfitter Fleece vs Wooltimate w/ Windshear

I'm in the market for a new jacket and pants and I know alot of folks rave about Cabelas Windshear products. I am kinda partial to wool due to its ability to keep you warm even when damp but I'm stuck between the wool and fleece. Only the fleece offers its sizing in Tall. I wish the Wool did as well but I would have to order a larger size to fit it, which defeats the purpose buying if it doesn't fit well. Obviously if its that wet outside I'll be wearing my HH Impertechs.

Lookin for opinions and feedback to help me decide.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default wooltimate

I have the wooltimate 1/4 zip top with wind shear (or windstopper, cant remember). It is very good at blocking the wind. In fact, thats all I wear under my bird vest while hunting pheasants back home (Nodak) in Dec., and it can get very cold and windy there. I get pretty sweaty while moving around, and it seems to breath OK.

The only downfall -- with the wind shear in it, it doesnt stretch a bit; this kinda makes it tuff to get out of it, especially if there is any moisture on the inside.

But, I love to wear it and I DO plan on buying another if this one wears out.

Hope this helps,
    Jason
    Last edited by ripnlip; 09-14-2008 at 00:17. Reason: spelling

I have a hell of a hard time finding good gear in Tall sizes. I have to order most stuff being 6'4 210lbs, either it fits well or the sleeves are too short after 1 wash, or the sleeves are perfect and its too baggy, which is pointless when trying to stay warm.

I may end up with the fleece due to its sizing. I actually came across a line of jackets Columbia has at freddies of all places, poly/nylon with a real thich berber feel to it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default washing

I have washed my wooltimate and never shrank yet, I just followed the instructions on the tag.

Sounds like the stuff at Freddies may be worth a try, but as you know, if it is just fleece the wind will cut it pretty bad. You could always just don the raingear for the heavy winds if you arent moving too much.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I may end up with the fleece due to its sizing. I actually came across a line of jackets Columbia has at freddies of all places, poly/nylon with a real thich berber feel to it.
    That Columbia stuff doesn't have windshear or windstopper, and those are the things that make the Cabelas Wooltimate and Berber Fleece stuff so Awesome for hunting in Alaska. Cutting the wind is half the battle.

Thumbs up Berber Fleece for me.

I've tried both and found that the fleece is lighter in weight, just the right temperature setting and dries in a snap. My Opinion.

Thumbs up

I sprung for a set of the Berber fleece w/ windshear.
    Last edited by TWB; 09-16-2008 at 13:58. Reason: crappy spelling

I have a pair of the wooltimate pants without the wind shear. The wind will blow through them. If you are not in the wind they are warm. I wore them this fall moose hunting temps varied from the 30's in the morning and 50's in the afternoons. If I was doing any hiking at all they were to warm.

I have been wearing the berber fleece with windshear for a number of years now and I love it and I will replace with same when necessary.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dwhunter View Post
    I have been wearing the berber fleece with windshear for a number of years now and I love it and I will replace with same when necessary.

Doug
    Love the Berber so far. Have to return the pants for a larger size though.

When I initially ordered mine a few years ago I had to return the top and go one size larger as it was tight, the windshear has no stretch at all.

Good luck getting sized up, if I rememer right I thought they had the larger sizes available.

Doug

I know this is an old thread but I'll be buying a new jacket & pante this year for the fall season & wondering if anyone has anything to add anything to this thread?
    Outfitter Fleece vs Wooltimate w/ Windshear?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I am still using my outfitter windshear and I love it, I just bought my son a set to use in a few weeks on his first bear hunt. Although with the way the temps have been it may not really be all that necessary.

Doug

Do you use it as a primary layer? I'm thinking about these with poly-pro under & HH Impertech as a shell when needed for a sept backpack moose hunt & fall spot-n-stalk bb.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Not sure about the specific product you mention, but I have lots of the Cabelas "Windshear" stuff and it is a welcome addition to our yearly float trips in NW Alaska. We go in the fall and it gets cold. Usually from the wind of course. This windshear is some good stuff. I go with the Cabelas Polartec thermals (heavy wt), a mid layer polar fleece of windshear, and an outer layer with windshear. Really is good stuff. No doubt about it.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Down Jacket

One thing no one has mentioned is that both fleece and wool are fairly heavy and bulky. If you are backpack hunting (such as for sheep) it may be worth packing a down jacket as an insulation layer? You can get a top notch down jacket for around $100 or vest for even less. A down jacket will weigh under 16 oz. The only "down"-side is you don't want to get down wet!....but used as an underlayer they are great insulators!

Default A few more words...

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'll be buying a new jacket & pante this year for the fall season & wondering if anyone has anything to add anything to this thread?
    Outfitter Fleece vs Wooltimate w/ Windshear?
    I'll repeat that the Wooltimate stuff is a lot heavier. It looks like it is a little more burly, probably is, but I've busted a lot of brush in my Outfitter and no signs of wear. I have also had it soaked with mud and had fish slime smeared on it. I've run it through the washer on a few different occasions and came out just like new and no smell to it. I think you were looking for moose hunting and that's great, but I wouldn't hike it up the mountain; I'd go with a composite fill poly or similar.
    As for the temps and gear. I'm a big fan of layering and I can be comfortable by adding underlayers and fleece. I've warn it with layers far below zero and alone up in the 50s I'd say. It does breath pretty good and does dry out well.
    My guess is the Wooltimate would be extremely heavy and have a difficult time drying if it did get wet???
    My opinion.

I love the berber fleece. I got the pants, jackets, henley, beanie, neck gaiter and gloves. Nice and warm and very comfortable.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

The Cabela's Berber fleece with windshear is mediocre in my opinion. I heard someone else mention it before I bought it, but it does suck up and hold a lot of water. And it's not put together as well as some other brands I'm used to buying, but it's ok. I'd look at other options, but I bought it because I needed a decent Blaze Orange jacket.

I have been eyeballin that outfitter camo fleece pull over on cabelas web stie for a while now. I think that i am giong to get it with out the wind shear and a set of the microtex pants in outfitter camo also for an outer layer while hunting in the mountians. from what i hear it breaths great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast