Thread: Delta Clearwater Silvers

Default Delta Clearwater Silvers

Unlike what the title says, there are no silvers there yet. Fished the park down Jack Warren. Didn't even see one. Probably a little early, but had to go and try b/c next week its bye-bye Alaska hello Kuwait.

Sapper 2-6

Default Kenai...

the silvers are in the Kenai if you have time before your vacation.. if not, keep your head down and your powder dry... Thanks for your service.

Sir I'm telling you invest in a As seen on T.V. fish pen! Ha ha ha! If you end up working at some staff shop then you'll have plenty of time to throw a line in that nasty water on your FOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Sir I'm telling you invest in a As seen on T.V. fish pen! Ha ha ha! If you end up working at some staff shop then you'll have plenty of time to throw a line in that nasty water on your FOB.
    Mr. J,

I am already one step closer. Toole is now the BTB S3, which now makes me Sapper 5. Probably be on staff around Jan. I'll be sure to pick one up at the PX on Warhorse. That thing looks good enough for silver salmon.

Fish On!

Sapper 5 (formerly known as Sapper 2-6)

When do the silvers usually show up ? How are people fishing for them when they get there? Can you still eat 'em them? Thanks guys

We caught a few on the 10th.

Default Sappers

2-6, Toole was my roommate for a couple months after we re-deployed. He also used to clear routes for me in Al-Anbar. I am in the same boat you are in. Stuck as the Adjutant through the whole deployment. Hopefully there is a puddle somewhere that I can toss a fishpen into.

Generally, the silver run on the clearwater peaks end of september early october, but as kgrant said there are some there right now. The silvers are pretty red and beat up by the time they get that far. I wouldn't try to eat one. You could try smoking them, but I don't think it would be worth the effort. As far as fishing for them (on the fly) all you need to know is: purple egg sucking leech, fast sinktip and/or lots of splitshot. Swing it through a school, wait for them to mouth it then set the hook.

Ive ate them the past two yrs. you could tell the difference but still not bad eating.

Any updates as to whther there are decent numbers in there yet? I get back to Alaska tomorrow and would like to take the boat out this weekend...doubt there's much in the Mat-Su area, so we might head to Delta for a couple days, if it's worthwhile. I haven't fished there since '02 and don't remember exactly what time of year. If not there, are they in Julius over by Nenana yet?

Every year you can expect them heavy in the Clearwater the last week in September and the 1st week in October. Going down this weekend to check out some moose hunting areas and also the status on the silvers. Last year I remember fishing the clearwater after shooting my moose and still limiting out in about 30 minutes. There were still alot of silvers in there but were slowly starting to thin out. I would say your best bet is the 23rd of September to the 14th of October for the best fishing. Make sure you have some purple egg sucking leaches and if you dont worry Ill be on the water and will throw some in your boat for ya......

2-6...I mean "5", I guess I'll have to change my name too since I am no longer the PSG for the Sappers. From now on I shall be the Sapper in the Sky.

Sapper in the Sky

Are there salmon that come into Clearwater?

I believe since last week. Depends where you are fishing at. The camp ground and lodge area can produce fish but not ones best choice this early.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hey Dennis,
    Give me a call or drop a pm, I am going this weekend to see if there in there or not. Ill let you know and well take a trip

Nick

I have never fished Delta Clearwater and have talked about it for years. I would like to give it a shot. Is Delta Clearwater fishable from shore? If so, is the shoreline fly fishable? Or is it recommended to fish via boat?

It's fishable from shore, but you may have to walk a little to find a school of fish. It's generally pretty shallow; a lot of places you can wade across in hip boots. You can see the schools in there; sp it ain't too tough figuring out where to fish.

Purple Egg-Sucking Leech for a fly, and wiggle warts if you're casting or fishing from a boat.

Just got back from the clearwater and the silvers are just showing up but should be great fishing in a week or two. Hats off to the Jedi for playing mind tricks and scoring some silvers and some chum. Thought I would post an update before the Jedi talks smack about my force not being as strong as his. Great to see you again Dennis and hope to do somemore fishing with you again. The grayling were all over the river popping on dry flies...Good luck to all and Ill see you on the river.....

Where were ya'll fishing at? Further down the river in a boat I assume? Thanks.

Sapper 5

Default Upstream!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 2-6 View Post
    Where were ya'll fishing at? Further down the river in a boat I assume? Thanks.

Sapper 5
    We waded upstream from the lodge about 500 meters. No boat. The silvers seem to push past the campground and lodge area fairly quickly and pool up upstream in a bend. "Master" Growden1 caught over 2 dozen coho and I caught about half as many. Some chums caught also, and I managed a few grayling also. Not alot of people, and the fishing should only get better.

I have previously caught silvers as early as the first week of Septemebr and as late as November in prior years.

Move upstream until you see the fish. Photo report willl be added soon.

TSS

Bowtechshooter: I have nothing but love for you.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Silvers

Yes, the fishing there was great. I guess its still a little early, so they are not totally packed in there, but we defininently fished with success. Purple Egg Sucking Leaches were working best. Defininently bring you grayling gear, if the silver fishing is slow I'm sure the grayling fishing would be good. Some of those grayling were so big that they were hitting our salmon flies! Here are a few photos from yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.