Thread: .325 wsm

Default .325 wsm

curious to hear from people that own this caliber and see what you think. Planning a brown bear hunt, leaning towards .338 win mag but am still researching.

want to buy something larger than my .300 wsm and want to get a caliber that will be my overall go to gun for hunting here.
    thanks

Nothing wrong with a 300 WSM for a go to gun.

I dont think the 325 WSM can do anything the 300 WSM cant. It uses about a 20 grain heavier bullet comparing it straight across with the 300 version.

Gun choice is all about whatever floats yer boat. I am hashing out many thoughts myself.

I have been thinking of getting a 375 Ruger but I really dont need such a big rifle. I could get by just fine with my 30-06. If I hunted brown bears every year then I might think about going bigger but I dont. Besides I already have a 500 S&W Handi-rifle. Now that is a large caliber right there.

I do like bigger bore rifles though. Besides a few deer with the 223 and 22-250 most of the animals I have shot have been with 30 cal or larger.

The 338 win mag was my first hunting rifle at age 15. I shot 2 moose a sheep and a couple deer with it. The 338 is a good cartridge.

The 325 would be right at home with a 200 partition or Barnes TSX for anything in this state.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I had a simlar debate with myself last week. I wanted a Nosler in either .300 or .325 WSM. After a little research I just went with the .300WSM mainly due to ammo availability. .300WSM is loaded by just about everyone who makes ammo and there is no shortage of high quality .30 cal projectiles even in factory ammo. This round has quickly become a standard hunting cartridge in N. America and had been adopted by about every manufacturer. My only wish is a good 200 or 220gr factory load.

I looked at the .325 and while it has impressive ballistics I just didn't like the lack of factory loads available. No 8mm has ever made it here despite good ballistics. The .325 is incidentally the ballistic equivalent of the 8mm Remington Mag that flopped. I don't handload so that was a big minus in my decision. It is a fine round however and if it were more common I might have went with it over the .300.

A .300 magnum of any persuasion isn't a bad rifle at all for general AK hunting. Its (in my opinion) marginal for the coastal bears but its been done a bunch by others- shot placement and good bullets go a long way. If I go looking for coastal browns I'd likely take something else but thats just me. No problems with anything else in the state with decent shot placement.

My Nosler shoots great and the recoil is very manageble for a .300 in a light rifle. I don't know you could really go wrong.

All I can say about mine is that it consistantly punchest .323" holes in paper at a variety of distances. Try finding a 300 that will do that.

I shoot 200 grn Accubonds from the factory and the rifle seems to be more accurate than I am. Ammo is redily available in town but limited to just three rounds off the shelf at this time. The 270 and 300 WSM's have been out for a while and have multiple ammo manufacturers supporting them. I think that the 325 will gain some momentum in that respect. I would like to see a Barnes TSX and a couple variations of Partitions off the shelf. I like my 325 in the Browning A-bolt, but honestly a 300 will likely kill stuff just as dead... I will say it kicks less than my cousins Rem 700 in 300WM and weighs less too.

My wifes 300 WSM kicks less than my 30-06 does. I think it is part better recoil pad and part better fitting rifle stock.

I am planning a brown bear hunt too. I went a little bigger than 300.

I went .375
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default The big 8

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I looked at the .325 and while it has impressive ballistics I just didn't like the lack of factory loads available. No 8mm has ever made it here despite good ballistics. The .325 is incidentally the ballistic equivalent of the 8mm Remington Mag that flopped. I don't handload so that was a big minus in my decision. It is a fine round however and if it were more common I might have went with it over the .300.
    IMHO comparing the 8mm rem mag(Big 8) to the 325 wsm is like comparing the 300 wby mag to a 30-06. Then again you need to reload to be able to realize the "Big 8's" potentail.

Back on topic: just buy a 338 and go have fun. Don't get sucked in like the rest of us.

Jake

I'd say that if you want something bigger than the .300 WSM, go with a .375. Either the .375 Ruger or a .375 H&H. I've got a .30-06 and love it, but went with a .375 H&H Ruger M77 for my heavy rifle and am extremely happy with it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    IMHO comparing the 8mm rem mag(Big 8) to the 325 wsm is like comparing the 300 wby mag to a 30-06. Then again you need to reload to be able to realize the "Big 8's" potentail.

Back on topic: just buy a 338 and go have fun. Don't get sucked in like the rest of us.

Jake
    I thought about that as well... but in factory loads they both shoot a 200gr. at 2900 fps or so. The "Big 8" has lots more capacity and I suspect could be loaded a great deal hotter or at least with a lot heavier bullet. That was likely the undoing of the 8mm Mag- a real lack of decent bullets at its introduction and most component bullets were made for Mauser velocities. Bullets have come along that can give real performance in the 8mm bore but I think its too late for the "Big 8". The other one is a guy could get a .338 in a rifle of similar dimesions and have a superior weapon all the way around- at least with factory ammo.

I think once you hit the middle magnums- 8mm mag, 338 WM, 325 WSM, 340Wby, 358 Norma etc. you will be hard pressed to go wrong. All of these carry a lot of freight and carry it for some distance. These all make excellent "one cartridge" for N. America and Alaska rounds. I also believe once you get out of AK and the Northwest these become as popular as a raincloud at a picnic. In most of the country you simplly don't have game worth such recoil. In the lower 48 I'm thinking elk and possibly grizzly (in the few places they're hunted down there) are about it for the middle mags.

I really hope the 325 makes it. In a few years if its still kicking I'll likely give it a try as I almost did a couple of weeks ago.

One "advantage" of the .325 is that a guy can get it in a nice light short gun like a Kimber Mt. If you don't care about that aspect then I agree with CZ_in_AK. Just go buy a heavy long barreled 338 and forget about it. For me, I wanted a light all around rifle. I can sling 220 gr 8mm bullets at 2700-2800 fps or 200gr at about 2950 (I've chronied them) out of a 23inch barreled, 7lb, rifle scoped up with a sling. This works for me and will kill anything in Alaska that I want to hunt. If I ever decide I want to go after a Kodiak brownie well then I'll be buying a 375.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again