Thread: Sat report

Default Sat report

Went to Mud lake this morning and hiked in to a spot. As I was setting up allot of ducks flying and thought it was going to be a great morning. As shooting time came all the duck stopped flying. Finally saw some ducks flying. They would fly in spirits. My friend and I managed two widegons this morning. Not allot of shooting going on for the amount of car that were there. Still a good day...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Was out this morning as well, much slower than I expected it to be. We need some new birds to come. Until then it will continue to be tough.

We jumped one bird and had one come into the decoy. We did have several groups fly by and look like they were going to land then changed there mind.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Hay Flats

LARedneck and I met linked up this am for a hunt out on the flats. Original plan was to pull over the levee and hunt the duck lake. Hit a high spot about a mile from the cabin and had trouble getting the engine running again..then the rope broke...got to love that!....not discouraged we continued to float the creek toward the cabin. We then approached another spot where I had hunted last weekend..and with time to get moved in and set up still on our side, we opted to forget about the rope and dead engine and make the best of what we came there for. Hiked in jumping birds as we approached the blind. Got set up, and enjoyed a great morning of waterfowling. Missed some easy shots and made up for them on others. Ended the morning with 10 birds. We both agree should have limited out. Lots of new birds compaired to last weekend, although did not hear as much shooting as last weekend. Bag consisted of pintails, mallards and wigeon.
    Both of our dogs worked great together and even manage to find two in the high grass over a hundred yards off. Returned to the boat, replaced the rope and made it back to the ramp. Glad I grabbed that extra rope last night...just in case. Did not see many other hunters on the creek and could have been one hell of a rescure mission or alot of paddeling against the tide...just finished two of them and well worth the effort.

Witnessed flock after flock of cranes heading out this morning..just need to find where they are roosting.

Big flocks of birds consisted of widgeon with smaller groups of mallards...widgeon worked the decoys great with calling. Pintails just buzzed in as the mallards seemed a little wary of any calling and decoys.

LARedneck...your welcome anytime brother..great guy with a great dog.

Mud lake had a couple of group of tundra swans flying around.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default For me

That would be thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday report. Only really hunted friday and saturday but I did pick up one on the way in thursday and my partner took two on the way out sunday. I tryed to get in on the action, but no go . I'll post pics later. I did get two cans one friday and one saturday total 13 ducks pintails, widgeon. redheads, and the cans. Should of been a lot more . The layout thing is taking a toll on my shooting. Haven't done the layout thing before. I did have good luck with my jerk deek on friday, when it got flat out. It was like a magnet. No problem getting a limit that day. My partner had the reverse not to good on friday and really good on saturday. Birds seem to be real shy, not really wanting to come to close.

Heading out sat either in the morning or evening.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK