Thread: Gear Lists

Default Gear Lists

Anyone care to share their gear list?

I am planning a float hunt for the Brooks Range next year for caribou.

Still deciding between a handful of rivers. I have a 16' Cat and thinking of purchasing either Pro pioneer canoe or Aire traveler.

This will be my first float hunt. I have done float trips before just never float hunts.

I am just looking for someone to share a gear list, so I can start preparing and spending some $$$ on stuff I am going to need.

And I am more than willing to listen to someone give advice on good areas / previous trips.

Thanks,

James

Have you done a search using "gear list" as your search criteria? There have been a few pretty thorough threads with some great gear lists shared in the past.

Default Strahan's book

Various gear checklists in Mike Strahan's book (Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers) seem excellent to me. All are for 10-Day Float Hunt, 4 people :

-Personal Gear Checklist: clothing, Toiletries, Miscellaneous, Sleep/Shelter, Personal First Aid Kit, Hunting Gear (loaded in pack), plus some short lists of situation-specific gear to consider: Moose Hunt (supplemental), Caribou Hunt (supplemental), Bear Hunt (supplemental)

-Boat Checklist: Rafting Gear, Canoe checklist (canoe hunts), Repair Kit, Camp Gear, Took Kit, Electric Fence

-Kitchen Checklist: General, Kitchen Box, Seasoning Kit, Utensil Kit, Pots&Pans Bag

-Emergency Gear Checklist: Emergency Signaling Kit, First-Aid Kit

-Meat and Trophy-Care Gear List: General, Game bag breakdown

Plus several worksheets and sample menus which greatly simplified planning for our 10-day hunt.

Other sources:

-NOLS (http://www.nols.edu/) has detailed lists, not hunting specific, but very useful. Type in Search gear list, then pick from the course that seems appropriate. Very good resource.

-Buck Nelson's website includes detailed gear descriptions/comments:
    http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Back...st_Review.html. Very useful info and list.

Less detailed: Tony Russ includes a checklist in Chapter 14 (The Manual for Successful Hunters), Dennis Confer includes a short gear checklist in the back of his excellent book (Hunt Alaska Now), Karen Jettmar includes more detailed checklists in The Alaska river Guide, Willow Air (brief checklist): http://www.willowair.com/misc/pages/float.htm, Rust's Flying Service: http://www.flyrusts.com/hunting.html. Some of the books might be available on used book racks.

-Ak Raft/Kayak used to have one, but don't see it on their website now

Because of our inexperience, I went through several checklists. Ultimately, I found Mr. Strahan's book lists sufficient and seem just right for the trip you have planned.

Good luck with your hunt.

Default Gear

Mapped out all my gear on excel...

2 people + raft + hunting gear + personal gear

210 pounds without food

----- 114 pounds of raft equipment

What do ya'll think?

I try and post my excel doc tomorrow...

Here's my caribou float hunt list:

Caribou Float Hunt Gear List

Tent
    Footprint
    Cooler
    Propane stove
    Propane (2 bottles)
    Small tarp
    Saw
    TAG bags
    550 cord
    Pack frame
    GPS Maps
    Water Purifier
    5 Gallon collapsible jug
    Pot and Pan, Utensils
    Plates, Cups
    Dish Soap, Scrub pad

Personal Gear List

Sleeping bag
    Thermarest
    Pillow
    Knives
    Wyoming
    Saw
    Camera
    Nalgene bottles (2)
    Backup stove (JetBoil)
    Rain gear
    Sporthill pants
    Socks (6 pair), Drawers (3 pair)
    Fleece Jacket, Hunting Jacket
    Chest waders w/shoes, Camp Shoes
    Sharpener ,First aid kit (small)
    Personal items (deodorant, etc)
    Gloves (2 pair)
    Hats (Ball cap, warm hat)
    DEET
    Headnet
    License, tags
    TP
    Gun bag (waterproof)
    Sunglasses
    Gum
    Towel
    Baby wipes

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    -Buck Nelson's website includes detailed gear descriptions/comments:
    http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Back...st_Review.html. Very useful info and list.
    Thanks for the mention. I've got a couple lists more specific to hunting, too:

Sheep hunting list

Heavy (float hunting, base camp) list

Default gear

A lot less then you think, I will post up my list in a few but in general you can bring all kinds of stuff & when you get done just think about how much of it never got taken out at all.

Basically you need to eat,sleep,crap, shoot & float out. Keep a few things for safety sake but all in all the biggest complaint I hear from air taxis is how much stuff people bring. Although they can always charge for another flight I think most prefer to get it done in a nice lean load.

Someone mentioned Mike Strahans book just for thoughts I met some guys in the airport who used a gear list from his book on a float & it included alot more than one could possibly fit in a "bush plane" they said it was one of the biggest mistakes of the trip. Keep it simple, like I said alot less than you might think.

Default Gear lists

Thanks for the kind words! My lists are very thorough; too much so for some hunts, quite frankly. So when you look at mine, think "kitchen sink". That is intentional, by the way. Easier to eliminate things than think of things you may have missed. I like a master list to work from, but that's just me.

I do the same thing with the food, by the way. You should have seen the look on Tom Boehm's face this year when he thought he had me at "You got any A1 sauce in that kitchen bag?" I pulled out a small bottle and his expression was priceless. You never know what folks will like, so I bring it all if at all practical.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Gear Lists

Don't be afraid to look at Larry Barlett's website too...
    www.pristineventures.com

I dont think you can go wrong with Buck Nelson either, he might be the best one at these kind of trips, just watch one of his vidoes...

www.bucktrack.com

Good Luck

Default list

GEAR LIST

Tent,lightweight
    sleepingbag & pad
    lightweight stove
    matches/lighter
    headlamp
    small tarp
    takedown bone saw
    2 knives/stone
    water bottle + 2.5 gallon collaspable jug
    purifier
    stocking foot wading pants w/boots
    cook set
    food,fresh & mountain house
    optics
    gps/sat phone
    TAG Bags + a few cheap alaska game bags
    550 CORD (1 piece cut to 50" for moose)
    Pack frame
    1 pair camp shoes
    ball cap/warm hat
    2 complete pairs of hunting clothes(incase 1 gets wet)
    lightweight jacket/heavy jacket/rain jacket
    camera as you see fit
    first aid kit
    personal hygiene items
    boat & acc w/repair kit

I try to use one cooler if I have fresh food & everything else gets packed in dry bags & the rubbermaid action packers, the small size seems really usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Here's my caribou float hunt list:

Caribou Float Hunt Gear List

Tent
    Footprint
    Cooler
    Propane stove
    Propane (2 bottles)
    Small tarp
    Saw
    TAG bags
    550 cord
    Pack frame
    GPS Maps
    Water Purifier
    5 Gallon collapsible jug
    Pot and Pan, Utensils
    Plates, Cups
    Dish Soap, Scrub pad

Personal Gear List

Sleeping bag
    Thermarest
    Pillow
    Knives
    Wyoming
    Saw
    Camera
    Nalgene bottles (2)
    Backup stove (JetBoil)
    Rain gear
    Sporthill pants
    Socks (6 pair), Drawers (3 pair)
    Fleece Jacket, Hunting Jacket
    Chest waders w/shoes, Camp Shoes
    Sharpener ,First aid kit (small)
    Personal items (deodorant, etc)
    Gloves (2 pair)
    Hats (Ball cap, warm hat)
    DEET
    Headnet
    License, tags
    TP
    Gun bag (waterproof)
    Sunglasses
    Gum
    Towel
    Baby wipes
    Hey dude - don't forget your rifle and shells, unless you're planning on slaying a bou with your knife.

Default Extensive gear list with weights

I have spent many hours over the years putting together the attached gear list. I have weighed all the items and created an Excel spreadsheet. All I have to do is change the quantity I plan on taking for a particular trip and it recalculates the weight totals. I don't know much about Excel, everything I know is learned from just trying to figure it out on my own. I'm sure an expert could make improvements but what I have created works great for me. Unfortunately this forum doesn't provide for attaching .xls file extensions. I've turned it into .doc format so you can open it in Word and get a look at the items and weights. If anyone wants the Excel version I'd be happy to email it to you, or even better yet let me know where I can post it publicly as I don't have a web site.

I used grams when I weighed everything because it solves the problem of adding up 16 ounces to make a pound on a computer that is designed to work in tenths. I could have used tenths of a pound but my scale doesn't read out that way and it's a pain to convert it before entering it on the spreadsheet. This way I just have the computer convert it back to pounds for me. To remember there are 454 grams in a pound I think of the Chevrolet engine 454 c.i.d.

This list is for an early season fly in Kodiak Deer Hunt for one person. The calories column on the food section helps me bring just the right amount of food. Of course it will be supplemented by fish and deer meat if things go my way.

Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default lists

caribouman, please post your excel lists to. I love that stuff. I have a list but it is not really talored to AK float. Mostly for elk out west, and I have one for a POW bear hunt. Going to hunt AK for sheep, moose and bou in the near future so this stuff is great THANKS.

All lists good, I saved them to compare with mine in the future.

I will add before my sheep backpack hunt this year I got a kitchen scale (weighs to 5 pounds very accuratly). Man that saved me weight, I weighed everything then debated what to take. Probably dropped me from 48 to 43 pounds easily. Must do.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Hey dude - don't forget your rifle and shells, unless you're planning on slaying a bou with your knife.
    I figured that was pretty much a given since we're talking about a hunting list so that's why it's not on the list or I could just use my partners rifle.

Default Float Hunt Master

Here is a PDF file of my float hunting master list. It is in excel but I was not able to upload the excel file. I like to use excel with a column for each hunter. I find it to be a good way to keep straight on who is bringing what. Cuts down on duplication and weight.
    The auto filter function in excel lets you have everything on one list, but each person can filter on their column and get their own specific list.
    I put emergency contacts, locations and trip info on the bottom and leave a copy at home with the family, that way heaven forbid if something happens everybody has the information they need to help. I have been on a few searches (like a lot of us) and more often than not the family did not have the information needed to help the rescue team. That's a bad deal!
    PM me if you would like a copy of the actual excel file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Better selection with experience...

akbou is right: "A lot less then you think..."

Like jeffp and others, I spent a lot of time reading others' lists for my first moose hunt. I didn't want to miss any crucial item. Building a comprehensive list to pick from helped. As Mike said, it's "Easier to eliminate things than think of things you may have missed". Comprehensive lists are a great starting place for all experience levels.

I think experience eventually allows us to winnow a list down to what works for us, especially if hunting or fishing familiar land/waters. With experience and trial-and-error, we get by with far less than our rookie days. Weight matters more on some trips than others, etc. And folks have their own mind about need versus nice to have. I don't fish with half the stuff I used to carry.

On the subject of "need versus nice to have", some of the NOLS trips skip the toilet paper. Ha! Can't say I'm with 'em on that yet.