Thread: Building Time

Post Building Time

I'm almost done with getting my priv. pilots lic. and would like to get to the 250 hour mark to get my com. lic. Here is my question would flying an ultralight count towards the 250 hours I need for the com. lic.? If so is there anyone in the Fairbanks area who is selling an ultralight for under 10 thousand?

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by AKWHITMER View Post
    I'm almost done with getting my priv. pilots lic. and would like to get to the 250 hour mark to get my com. lic. Here is my question would flying an ultralight count towards the 250 hours I need for the com. lic.? If so is there anyone in the Fairbanks area who is selling an ultralight for under 10 thousand?
    My recollection is that no pilot license is required for flight in an ultralight. That must mean that the ultralight isn't classified as an "airplane" which requires one. It seems doubtful that ultralight hours would count toward the requirements for any of the pilot licenses (private, commercial or airline pilot rating).

I could be wrong, since I frequently am . . . . .

Mort Mason

That used to be the case but they passed a new law in I think 2007 that stated that you must have at least a sport pilots lic. on almost all ultralights. This law is why I asked the question.

I believe FAR 61.52 answers your question. I read it that you cannot use ultralight time toward a commercial certificate but you should read it yourself , I've been wrong before interpreting the FAR's.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

I recommend that you also get your instrument rating before your commercial.

That helps add some hours that are not wasted, makes you a much better pilot and it works out much better obtaining that rating BEFORE your commercial.
    A commercial pilot without an instrucment rating cannot fly pannengers at night or more than 50 miles.

Go buy an old C-150 or 152 with an IFR panel for 25K. Fly it for a year get your IFR rating and then sell it for 24K. In fact you can dop some of the Commercial practical flight test in a C152 or C172. Such as the manuevers. You will still need to fly some of the test using retract gear, but this may help you keep cost down.

If you plan on flying floats commercially, wait until you get your commercial ratying and then get your float add-on. If you have a private float rating, you just end up taking another float check-ride for your commercial.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I Second Float Pilot, a C150 @4.5 GPH-5 GPH find a nice one , spend a little extra so when you want to sell it you can. (just don't go crazy with the price.)