Thread: Things that work: Water filter

Default Things that work: Water filter

Using Mr. Pid's useful "Things that work" format - thank you, Sir:

We used the Katadyn Base Camp filter last week to filter plenty of water from the silty Tanana River.

To reduce silt, we used a settling pond first, then let the water drip through a nylon sack to reduce filter clogging - until finding a tannin-stained creek later with less silt. The rest was set it and forget it; fill and drip 5 to 8 gallons was effortless during our 8-days out. Worked flawlessly for us.

zoom

Katadyn Base Camp Filter

Default I'll second your post...

We used ours for 13 days in Kodiak... We used a 5 gal bucket as a settling pond... We would fill the bucket from the small trickle of fresh water right next to camp. Let it settle over night and then fill the bladder/filter... Worked great... I won't be leaving ours behind... It will find it's way to every camp we have... Great addition to any gear list!!!

We used a couple on our church's youth group canoe trip this year (one for each camp) in the Swan Lake system. We had 8 folks for 5 days working out of each filter with no problem & we didn't need to change elements. I did wrap a coffee filter around the elements & hold it in place with a rubberband to work as a prefilter.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yep - I heartily agree. No more pumping - a huge plus.

The only time I've had any difficulty with this type of filter was in tundra terrain, where there was no easy place to hang the filter. Solved that by lashing canoe paddles together to form a tripod.

Default coffee filter!

Great idea.