Thread: First Duck Hunt Ever

Default First Duck Hunt Ever

So i bought an SKB O/U wed in hopes of duck hunting and trap shooting. I have been in Alaska for over twenty years and have not hunted ducks.
    That is all over now, I went out by myself last night for my first duck hunt ever. I was just walking around some swamp and jumping up birds. 3 hours later and tired of walking I called it quits, but I bagged 5 teal, 1 widgeon, and 1 Sandhill Crane.
    What a night, I'm hooked and going again tonight. WOOOOHOOOOO. Why did I wait so long to try bird hunting.

Default Another one bites the dust

Awsome.... and welcome to my wifes worst enemy. You are really going to love the duck hunting game especially if you get into calling, decoying birds and having a dog that does all your retrieving. Good luck hunting and you might want to start buying your wife some gifts to make up for whats comming....

Thanks for the advice. I went out again last night and scored two more widgeons and another Crane.
    Jump shooting is challanging but fun, but I dowish I had a dog to chase the down ones. I was wooped by the time I had wadded out into waste deep pounds to fetch my birds.
    Saw 400-500 cranes again, it's amazing how far away you can hear them from.

Default congrats

sound like you are addicted now. my buddy got me addicted about 3 years ago and now i go when ever i can get a min. i hear you about the whole needing a dog been doin the wading thing since i started and i always go with guys that dont have waders or they just have hip so they get only the close birds so im the dog lol. well keep it up and good shooting. you must be south since you are seeing all the cranes havent seen any here in fairbanks in about a week.

Default Where at

not specifically, but if you are going out from around anchorage how far/long are you going to your hunt spots?

Hey, this is what the forums are for. I've been hitting the Placer river area. Just walking in and finding the small ponds within the swampy areas. I have seen a few boats on the Placer and several other hunters. As long as it does not get to crowded I think a few hunters spread out is a good thing. It keeps the birds moving and in the air. There is a large flock of cranes hanging out in the area, the trick is finding them and getting to them.
    I really want to find some green heads and geese, does anyone know when that starts or where I should try? Again I'm new to this, but i'm hooked all ready.

Greenheads usually dont show up untill octoberish, as for geese I dont know to many areas condusive to jump shooting. If you want geese go to delta junction, or on the far side of duck lake almost to the knik river. Your best bet is to buy 1/2 dozen goose decoys along with your duck spread and a goose call(please learn how to use it). Then when hunting, you might be able to get some geese in your general directon that you can get some shots at. Probably more info than you wanted but just my 2 cents. Good luck!!

i also just started well last year i got a few mallards with my bow n arrow now i bought a rem 870 and a dozen decoys and me and my 4 year old have been hiting it every morn but we are retarded or something i need to get the boy a duck so he will talk to me on the way home we had been all around jim creek aria in the boat yesterday and rabbit slew this morn on foot i just need some tips on were to go on foot with the boy i got to go back to work mon for two weeks going agine in morn.