Thread: Successful North Slope "Bou" Hunt

Default Successful North Slope "Bou" Hunt

Returned 6 days ago from a fabulous fly in, drop camp, unguided Caribou hunt on the North Slope. My wife and I met up with two friends from Arizona for the trip which we had been planning for for a year and a half. Over the 6 days of hunting we saw at least a couple of thousand “bou”. All in all we took 5 bulls (my wife didn’t hunt). I passed on filling my 2nd tag after downing my trophy bull (attached picture). The weather was fabulous with 28-32 degree temps at dawn and high temps around 50 degrees. We learned a great deal from the hunt which included us taking too much gear even though we read and researched multiple sources of information regarding the amount of equipment and food to take. Additionally, we learned that we had some gear that was exceptional including a 12 man Kifaru Tipi, Cabela’s “Alaska Hunter” boots (by Meindl), Schnee’s “Sheep Hunter GTX” boots (by Lowa), and Sleeping Indian Wool clothing. The 12 man Kifaru Tipi was comfortably large enough for the four us to sit in while having a “Mountain House” breakfast with coffee while it was still relatively lightweight. My wife and our two friends wore Cabela’s Alaska Hunter boots while I had the Schnee’s Sheep Hunter boots and no one’s feet ever got wet despite a great deal of walking in wet tussocks. Regarding the Sleeping Indian wool, my wife and I each wore wool pants and shirt, and the wool thoroughly impressed me. It was warm and most importantly it “breathed” extremely well as I would often sweat while walking with my pack yet I remained very comfortable when we’d stop and glass the hills or eat. All in all the trip was fabulous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on a great bull! I'd love it if my wife would head to the field with me, but that ain't happenin'.

Default Nice!

Beautiful Bull!! That's awesome your wife hunts with you. My wife starting small game hunting last year and we just bought her a little 7mm-08 so she can start big game next year. It's nice to always have a partner.
    I have a hunt planned starting on the 22nd. Do you happen to know the water level for the Ivishak? It's a long way to drive from anchorage pulling a jet boat.
    Nice PIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Congrats on a great bull! I'd love it if my wife would head to the field with me, but that ain't happenin'.
    Thanks...I'm quite proud of it and it'll look great on the wall. My wife will bird hunt (pheasants, ducks, geese), but she won't shoot big game. I'm just happy that she goes with, so I don't push it as its great hunting with your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Beautiful Bull!! That's awesome your wife hunts with you. My wife starting small game hunting last year and we just bought her a little 7mm-08 so she can start big game next year. It's nice to always have a partner.
    I have a hunt planned starting on the 22nd. Do you happen to know the water level for the Ivishak? It's a long way to drive from anchorage pulling a jet boat.
    Nice PIC!
    Thanks. I don't know the water level of the Ivishak as we landed on a small lake. I do know that from 29 Aug to 5 Sept there was virtually no rain (clear blue sky most everyday) on the portion of the North Slope that we were on. I don't know what impact that would have on river water levels.

Default tipi

I have an old Kifaru 12 man - if you can find wood - they are great.

Default Drop off service

Who did you fly out with and where do they fly from?

Default Logistics?

Congrats on a great trip. Could you pm or post a bit of info on the travel and logistics of your hunt?

Flight service, general area, timing etc?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Nice PIC!
    The water level on the Ivishak is LOW! Some jets were getting up there but I turned around after about a mile in the sag because I don't like to beat my boat to death and there were lots of caribou between pump 2 and deadhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Ribs View Post
    Congrats on a great trip. Could you pm or post a bit of info on the travel and logistics of your hunt?

Flight service, general area, timing etc?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Please disregard details that you're not interested in...We had a Wright Aviation charter flight from Fairbanks to Bettles. We shared the flight with two additional hunters from Arkansas, so we paid two thirds of the flight (4 people) while the Arkansas gents paid one third. It made the cost somewhat reasonable for the Caravan (or Grand Caravan...I don't know the difference).

We flew to our hunting location with Brooks Range Aviation in an "Otter" float plane. It was a real powerhouse as it took all four of our party plus our gear (which again was too much gear). The Wright Air flight and the Brooks Range flight were each about an hour and half flight time.

We came out using the same aircraft from both Wright and Brooks. The Otter flight out included 5 quartered caribou with antlers and capes (picture of the inside of the Otter attached). We had purposefully solely chartered the Caravan for the flight back to Fairbanks as we needed room/weight for six bou (noting that I passed on filling my second tag).

Everything went off as planned thanks to the nice weather; however, we didn't arrive back in Fairbanks until 5 PM on a Friday. By the time we picked up and loaded our full size rental van the meat processing businesses were closed, so our quarters spent Friday night in the back of the van. Thankfully the weather cooled nicely in the evening, so the meat, which we monitored continuously, remained cool. We dropped the meat off the following morning with the processors.

Let me know if you'd like more info.
    Attached Images Attached Images