Thread: Salmon return year question for an expert

Default Salmon return year question for an expert

I think I know the return years of salmon for the most part, but I would like an expert to help me with this.
    1. Can someone list the five species, and how many years it takes for each to return?
    2. Also does anyone know the migration pattern of these fish--are they all the same or what? I know they travel to Japan, but do all five species do this? And what about steelhead? Where do they go and for how long?
    Maybe someone has a good source for this information. It's something I've wondered for a long time, I have read as much as I could find in the past, but would like to know a little more.
    Thanks if you can.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I believe Japan has its own salmon, close to sockeye in size. I never heard that any north american species visited Japan in fair weather.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I think I know the return years of salmon for the most part, but I would like an expert to help me with this.
    1. Can someone list the five species, and how many years it takes for each to return?
    2. Also does anyone know the migration pattern of these fish--are they all the same or what? I know they travel to Japan, but do all five species do this? And what about steelhead? Where do they go and for how long?
    Maybe someone has a good source for this information. It's something I've wondered for a long time, I have read as much as I could find in the past, but would like to know a little more.
    Thanks if you can.
    I think this is about how it goes
    Sockeye 1 or 2 years in fresh water typically 3 years in the ocean
    Pink Leave freshwater right away 1.5 years in the salt
    King 1 year in the fresh 3,4,5,6 or even 7 in the salt
    Chum Leave fresh right away 3 years in the ocean
    SIlvers leave after a year 2 years in the ocean

Its kinda assumed that the fish form shoals and kinda go around the Alaskan gyre a few times some go into the berring sea a lot feed along the coast of Alaska

Japan has a type of salmon commonly called cherry salmon or masu salmon (O. masu)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default More accurate life history info...

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Thanks if you can.
    Freshwater resisdency and ocean rearing time is highly variable among salmonids in the Arctic....

Pink are easy as they spend a few days to several weeks in fresh water and return 18 months later.

Coho are extreemly complex as they spend 1-3 years in fresh water and 6 or 18 months in the ocean.

Chum salmon typically spend several months in freshwater and 2-5 years in the ocean, it is very very rare for Chum to be a so called Jack as they rarely mature before their third year of life.

Sockeye are also extreemly complex and spend commonly 1 or 2 years in fresh water but have been known to spend up to 4 years in fresh water then they spend 1-3 years in the ocean.

Chinook are also very complex and most commonly spend 1 year in freshwater, but commonly spend two years in fresh water and spend 1-6 years in the ocean. There is one known stock in AK that spends less than one year in freshwater and stock is found in SE.

Steelhead are extreemly complex and are the least studied of salmon spp in AK... Freshwater residency is 1-5 years and they spend 6 months to 4 years in the ocean before maturing... Of course they can live to spawn again and they can return to next summer not following summer (2 years later) from the fall of their fresh water emigration or stay out in the ocean longer.

To simplify, smoltification; the time at which a salmon or steelhead leaves for the ocean is more accurately determined by size and fitness then by age.... The warmer more furtile systems will have shorter freshwater residencies while colder more sterile environments while require longer freshwater residency.