Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Calling Strategy - What's Yours?

Default Moose Calling Strategy - What's Yours?

I have been bowhunting for a several years and been fortunate to take a bull and cow moose, using some very light calling (FMA technique).

I have been watching videos and reading forums, but I am curious what strategy you employ when hunting in areas that are more natural that the FMA (Fairbanks Mangement Area).

I leave for a week long hunt next Friday with a friend and my 10 year old son. I am confused as to use bull grunts and thrashing or cow calls or both. Being that we are towrd the end of the month when I leave, what do you suggest? Perhaps someone could give some eampples of what they do. I use a Bull Magnet now that my scaplula got flat wore out

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i wake up EVERY morning, starting aobut Aug 1st walk out on the deck and yell here moosie moosie...

somtimes it takes awhile.... but he wife got hers on the 4th....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

lolol.. NOT nice.. or exactly what I was looking for. Congrats to your wife

Default Moosie Moosie

I went outside and tried the "moosie, moosie" method. Didn't work for me, either. Sooooooooo, I went back to the usual cow moans, mixed with raking and branch breaking, along with some grunts. If I know there is a bull in the area, or see one, I go with grunts and branches only. No more cow moans unless he starts to leave and ignore the grunts. Usually works, but hasn't so far this season. I'm still working at it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FairbanksBowHunter View Post
    lolol.. NOT nice.. or exactly what I was looking for. Congrats to your wife
    honestly watch the video love thunder and bulls thats all i do..listen to the dates and time frame figure the NORMAL weather pattern.i called 3 in out at the claim opening weekend non legal though... here in the yard... well its mossie moosie they always come...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

another thing i DON'T do this time of year is cow call.... UNLESS i see a LONE bull....last year we had 17 cows surround us in the brush they made SOOOOO much noise and pulled the bulls away from my buddy who thought another cow call would peak their interest....

talk about Jealous women..............then there is the story about the two bulls who said why stick around for one cow when we can go over there and get them ALL......

meet on face book here

Default didn't work for me

i tried the "moosie, here moosie" thing for a few years but never seemed to work for me....

but for the past 4 years i've either shot or had a partner shoot a nice bull (and passed on a few smaller bulls) called in. i usually look for sign then start with thrashing almost exlusively, if i get a cow call or grunt i'll try to continue thrashing every 5-10mins and listen to see if they get closer, if i don't get any responses in about 30-60mins i'll move on and look elsewhere (against all the advise i've gotten over the years).

it seems if they go quite they'll be moving to you. if they thrash back then most times i'll work my way to where i think they are, thrashing on the way, seems like they get threatened and gets great reactions. i never cow call anymore unless i see a bull and want to turn him (even after shooting). i do grunt on occasion but rarely, and only if a bull is grunting at me...

i've had bulls come out of the woodline charging, had a bull this year led out to me by a cow w/two calves (wonder if she thought i was a nicer bull?) seen them rolling their eyes and slobbering all over, and had them come out of the woods like ghosts, so expect anything.

but i've talked to more than a few people making noises i would never think to make that were more succesful than me so i don't know if i do the right thing or not, just seems to work for me....

Default another note...

another thing, practice practice practice, i used to go out even after the season was over to try to call bulls.

never ceases to amaze me the people that never scout, practice calling, or are willing to go along on other peoples hunts to tag along and learn, always wonder why they are very rarely or never sucessful hunting...

I try to find an area that shows bull activity, rut pit, rubs, etc, etc. Then find a suitable spot where you can see the area and be able to get a good clean shot off. I make a lot of "bull" noise with grunts, scraping the bull magnet on trees and brush and breaking any large branches I can find. I do this right after I've checked the area out to make sure there's nothing close by before I start this routine. If I know there's a bull with a cow/cows then I will grunt, beat the ground, and scrape trees/brush only. If that doesn't work then I will cow call along with the occasional bull grunt. Another thing that works while cow calling is filling your call with water and pouring it back into the water source, this can be very effective when that bull seems to hang up just out of sight. I have a lot of fun with this routine and it has paid off for me many times in the past.

First have to figure out if the bulls are still searchin for a lady or ready to fight. I like to hunt late season and I've found that after a few cold nights the rut really comes on strong. At that point the bulls have found there cows and most of what they will respond to is another bull comin into their area. I've had great results aggressively calling, like AkHunter has already pointed out, thrashing branches, grunts and just makin noise really stirs things up.

Another technique I use to stalk in close once I've spotted a bull is I will throw my rifle over my head and bob side to side throwing off some wicked grunts. If a bull is banded with cows he's not going anywhere. I've gotten in close as 30 yards before, in an open alder patch with a bull watching me the whole time, in fact he watched us and stayed bedded down the whole time, we only let him up for a good clean shot.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Hey thanks everyone. We are headed out FRIDAY I cant wait.. My 10 yr old boy, and a good friend for 6 days of bull madness. If nothing else it will be GREAT to show my boy what I "know" and practice what I am learning. I wll be SURE to post a follow sotry after the hunt.

hey its supposed to SNOW on us this last week of season!!!!!!!!

i am headed out... gonna start with my usual call.... here moosie moosie....its tradition.... then i am NOT, gonna take my gun to the out house because thats when they come out to the pond... making me do the mad dash up the hill and back down so that i am out of breath just like if i had climbed the side of the mountain for it...

going solo this week so will be my luck that it will be the big guy that comes to drink, this year

meet on face book here

Try a coffee can and a string- that has always worked for me

Bowhunter, it depends on what you are after and when, tho I've found no magic formula. For example, early in the season we've brought in cows while scraping. (which might be helpful in 20A on a cow hunt) If the big bulls are all cowed up, you can bring in smaller ones cow calling, or, big bulls who are not cowed up yet. If you observe a bull with cows I'd grunt and challenge, but not too aggressive at first. Also, the cows i've heard (and the calls I use) are not call as long as the call depicted in the Bull Magnet video, the ones I've heard in the field are much, much shorter, only 2-3 seconds worth, but repeated 5 to 10 times. That being said, those longer calls might work better in different locales. Also, as I've said in a different thread, I've scared bulls off with long cow calls, my fault, probably too loud. Overall, the shorter cow calls have worked best for us from early to mid-season. Good luck.

Default Staying Put?

Been fun reading all the "pro calling" advice - one question I would like some of you chaps to expand upon is how long will or do you usually sit in what looks like a productive spot? Few hours, all day, go back more than one day?
    Also, if they are not responding to calls how productive is it to just find a good funnel area that has open terraing to glass and just wait them out?
    Thanks

When I find a moosie looking spot with good sign I will stay there all day, you never know when a bull is going to show up. If I don't see anything that day I do some more calling then will return the next day to see if there's any new sign or moose in the area. I've never had to hunt a funnel or a corridor so I can't answer that question, spot and stalking or calling is usually how I get my moose.

Thanks AK,
    I went on my first and only moose hunt in 2004 in Southern Ontario. We were there about Oct 13th for a week and pretty much post rut.
    We called in a large bull first day and just before he broke into a clearing at 35 yards the wind shifted and by by. Next day we called in a young bull and my son ( 20 then ) took him. We heard a few trying to circle us over next few days in heavy timber - or at least that was what we assumed the occasional snapping of limgs indicated and assumed they were moose checking us out. Any input on this ?
    I took another young bull in a 2 year old logged off area by just sitting and watching.
    We are planning another similar hunt in 09 and after studying the topo maps its clear there are several small lakes that are fairly easy to hike to and many places narrow to less than 300 yards making great travel corridors. Not having much moose experience I thought these may be well worth the time to watch if calling is not producing.
    I know they sure are fun to hunt!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    another thing i DON'T do this time of year is cow call.... UNLESS i see a LONE bull..............
    Good point.

I've seen this twice: a cow is being followed around by a spike/fork that she isn't interested in, and she'll come running to the sound of antlers raking brush to get a larger bull to run the spike/fork off.

I got a spike/fork that way some time back, and a friend got one this fall that way.

Later in the season (after the 15th, and the later the better) the cow calling works better.

Default just give em the bull

This year I only grunted, brush thrashed, and banged the love horn on spruce trees three times per day: daylight, lunch, and three hours before dark. I only cow called when an animal busted us and I wanted to see how long they would hang after we were for sure busted or the moose was already running away. The cow call made every moose that was running away stop and look. Using the cow call when busted enabled a 3-10 second pause of the animal. I hunted 8-15 Sep.

I did grunt and brush thrash once I could hear the bull grunting and thrashing back. Wow, they go crazy when you grunt and hold white game bags over your head when they are with-in 300 yards.

I physically watched one bull come in from 2 miles away to me smashing my love horn on a spruce tree. I did throw in a couple cow calls and it seemed to slow the bulls progress to me so I never cow called again unless busted.

I like to find a glassing area and a calling area. I want to glass more than my calling area. If you see em every day it is easier to stay in the game. The bulls may not come in to you right now, but they will come unless cowed up. If they are cowed up-- thrash brush, grunt, flash and walk up to them down wind and bust em with the cows.

Grand total of moose called in was around 20 bulls, and 4 cows with calves this year.

I miss hunting up off the Koyukuk. Most of the moose up there haven't even seen a human and rut is VERY intense once it gets cold.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast