Thread: Jim Creek ATV Parking?

Default Jim Creek ATV Parking?

New here, plan on trying the Knik Glacier trip for the first time on a 600 Grizz with a middle age buddy in tow on a 400 Kodiak.
    I've taken my 10 yr. old son to the Old Glenn Bridge just once for a ATV intro ride but never ventured beyond the main lot.
    Where is the best parking area where my vehicle might remain safe while atv'g up the river?

Another question: Is the water levels lower or higher during September?
    Thanx

I'll report back after our visit.

I can't say that I have had any trouble with parkiing either down by the bridge or at the "pavillion" parking lot, just past the drag racing park. I suppose that down by the bridge the car is more visible, don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Lots of people in and out of the pavillion parking area too. Again, bad or good? I don't know. As I say, I've been parking there for a couple of years and haven't had any bad experiences. YMMV. I have seen stuff along the river, once off the parking areas that would curl your hair, though (I was never involved). Mostly just helpful riders out there.

Water levels are going down in the tributaries into the river although the river looked kind of high the last time I rode there on the 10th. Metal Creeks looks like it may be crossable but still roaring. We didn't make the attempt as we had some younger riders on smaller machines. Jim Creek is easy right now, as are Wednesday and Friday Creeks. I am back up on the Slope and so won't be riding until the 26th. Hope there isn't any or too much snow then...
    Al

alaskal said the "S" word! With such a crummy summer we don't want the "S" yet.

Default Parking

I've not had any problems parking in either spot in the years I've been going up there.
    The water level on the main Knik River and Metal Creek starts dropping in Sept as the weather cools and the glaciers stop melting (relatively speaking, they never stop entirely). Jim Creek depth is usually a function of the main river height but is affected by rainfall. I have never been able to predict what the water level at Wolf Point is going to be, it just is what it is when you get there.
    Even with Metal Creek going down - be very careful if you decide to cross. That is no place to be sitting wet and watching your wheeler bounce down the creek and even worse place to be with your wheeler bounding down the creek. And it happens every year.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Sorry about the S word. I forgot that there are adults in the audience.

Al