Thread: Successful Cow Moose Hunt---DM410 !

Default Successful Cow Moose Hunt---DM410 !

After spending several nights after work poking in the woods around the house, I finally scored on a cow moose that somebody chased right to me. I connected a few nights ago but now that I'm rested up, its time to post the pic.
    I've been seeing this cow around the neighborhood for over a month now. WHen hunting season rolled in, I spend every other night after work out in the woods. I did range her at 172 yards on the first night out, but she dissappeared into the brush before I could squeeze off a shot. I didn't see her again for a couple more weeks. I was actually starting to think that somebody else dropped her.
    Earlier this week, I sat down on a log out in the woods about 1/2 mile from the house. I was out there for a coupla hours and it was just starting to get dark. I figured 10 more minutes and I'd head home. Right about then, I heard a bunch of brush breaking about 75 yards away. I stood up, and the moose stopped looking at me. The only clear shot I had was a gut shot. I didn't really want to hit her anywhere but a double lung shot, but had no choice as it was getting dark fast. I brought up the rifle and "Bang" ! She disappeared into some really thick stuff. I honestly didn't think that I'd hit her, because I figured with a .375 she would've dropped right over. I walked over to where she was when I shot her. I couldn't see any blood on the ground because we were right at dusk. I heard a branch break behind me, and out stepped another hunter. Scared the cr-ap outta me! He startled me. He was 30 yards behind the cow when I shot her. He was kind of ticked because he said he was chasing that moose for over a half a mile. When I asked him if he had a cow permit, he said "no". I told him that it was a cow. He was relieved because he thought somebody shot his "spike". He was following it because he thought it was a bull. GOod thing he didn't pull the trigger.
    Anyway, i started a grid pattern and without finding any blood, i was getting bummed out. At the last light I saw a stump that I figured I would check out. Turns out it was the cow. She ran about 75 yards and dropped. Don't think she suffered at all. The bullet went into her diapraghm area, bounced off a rib, and ended up double-lunging her. She died quickly. THen of course, the work started. Called the neighbor, as it was a work night, and he came out and we butchered the moose up in about 3 hours. Good thing he was there, because it would have taken me all night. Of course, he gets half for his part.
    Either way, boring story...but Hey ! It was my first moose ! I guess I can't complain. Couple hundred pounds of meat in the freezer should help out for this winter.
    Johnny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now, take out the garbage, do the dishes, vaccum the house, take the the dog out for a walk, do the laundry, get me a beer and cook dinner!

Good job bro!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Now, take out the garbage, do the dishes, vaccum the house, take the the dog out for a walk, do the laundry, get me a beer and cook dinner!

Yes Dear

Not a boring story at all. Good stuff, Johnny!

nothing boring about that. I'm jealous, congrats.
    Paul

Good job Johnny, way to be persistent. Nothing like going into a cold winter with a full freezer!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Congratulations!?

Maybe I am the only one seeing this. I am not trying to judge anyone, I promise. But the only clear shot was a "gut shot"? I understand that you are excited about harvesting a cow, but to shoot her in the gut and then have the surprise that there was no blood. In my OPINION what you did was not very ethical. You got lucky and shot her in the lungs, but that was not your intention. I hope that becasue of this experience you dont shoot any other game animals in the gut expecting the same results.

Again, this is my opinion.

With a .375, gut shot or no gut shot, it'd kill her fairly quickly. Would I do the same for a bear? no. And yes, there was a large amount of blood, just couldn't see it with the dwindling light. Once flashlights were in hand, there was a very evident blood trail.
    Johnny

on second thought, now that I think about it, I could've held off on the shot for another day, but I just remember bringing up the rifle in a snapshot. As soon as I saw brown, I pulled the trigger. I guess there could have been a coulda, woulda, shoulda experience. As for now, I am still thrilled that I got moose in the table, and I didn't just wound the animal...

Default congrats

congrats on the moose, she'll taste great. Do you know how much meat (in lbs.) you got off her?