Thread: Fun with Power Pro line

Angry Fun with Power Pro line

I bought a new Fin Nor OFS95 for my trip to Homer next summer and a 500yrd spool of Power Pro 80lb line. Well as i was putting the line on the reel i come to a knot in the line half way through the spool. Why would i spend all that money to get a 2 peice spool of line?? Its a knot that joins the line together. I had about 300 or so yrds on the reel and then the knot. Has anyone ever heard of that before? I am sitting her with cramped fingers from winding it off of the reel and back on the spool. This STINKS!! I love Power Pro but this is silly

Default Blood Knot

I would be upset also - but many a time have I used a blood knot to splice fireline (or similiar) together. I would have just cut it, re-tied it and kept on spooling.

Have had a couple times with a good fish on - and there goes that knot - hootin and hollerin - sure hope I tied that one good - should see the looks from friends I get when that happens!

I almost did keep spooing but i paid for 1st quality so i think i should get it. I would always wonder if it was going to hold when i needed it and then I would have a knot on my spool and who needs that. My luck it would be on the biggest halibut i would ever hook that it would fail LOL.

I have used power pro now for about 6 years. All of the lines have little binding marks where they have been joined togather. I have tested these spots and use 65lb test for shallow water halibut. I have even hung 70 lbs on the line and hung it from a solid steel pull up bar and used 2 big J hooks to attatch the the bars and weights and the little factory knot did not break. When I get the factory bonds that are a little bit bigger than normal I just use 2 improved clinch knots togather and that creates a long little knot that is easier on the fingers.

Default Interesting amount on spools???

I was a Freddies buying the line years back, when I noticed the thickness or amount on each spool seemed different (about half-dozen spools remaining on the shelf). I picked the thickest one of course, but it left me wondering what the heck was up with that!? PP is not sealed in plastic like mono.

I called PP and they are overnighting a new spool to me. Thats GREAT customer service. Things happen with any brand. Its how they take care of a problem that matters!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I called PP and they are overnighting a new spool to me. Thats GREAT customer service. Things happen with any brand. Its how they take care of a problem that matters!
    Good to know