Thread: Best rain gear for ATV/hunt/fish

Question Best rain gear for ATV/hunt/fish

I know there are several posting about rain gear. I am looking for something for bird/rabbit hunting, something to keep me dry on ATV, and something for fishing. Is there a rain suit that would work for all 3.

Thanks

Everyone seems to love H/H Impertech. I'm going to be picking up a set for backpacking/hunting.

Right now I use surplus gortex. Works ok, but not great. Especially in a downpour.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Do youself a favor and splurg on the Carhart set. You can find it for a little over $200 but at least you won't be buying 2-3 sets of other brands in a year adn they will last for a long time. I bought mine in the Spring and put them through the wringer this Summer. They still look fairly new.

If you really want to stay DRY.... For the wheeler and fishing, I'd go with Grundens or Helley Hansen commercial lines. They are actually rubber (don't breathe...) and will keep you dry. If you are doing a lot of walking, you will want something lighter though. But, lighter equals not as tough or as waterproof.

I have a Carhart parka style rain jacket. It is really comfortable until it gets wet. The inside stays dry, but the outer shell retains water and the coat gets really heavy and takes a long time to dry out.

ANY raingear that "breathes" will not stand up to significant water in the long run. A few hours at best.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The HH impertech doesn't breathe either, IIRC. The way I look at it is if you are hunting in the rain, you are either going to get wet from the inside or the outside, no real way around it. I'd prefer to get wet from the inside. Wearing synthetic clothing and whatnot, you can dry quickly once the rain lets up for build a small fire under a tree and dry some gear, whatever it takes.

I have the HH commercial line (I was the only one out of 5 on my last hunt w/o impertech and yes, they called me "Deadliest Catch" and wouldn't stop signing Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive) and it is, like AKmud says, very tough and very waterproof. Albeit a touch louder than the impertech, you still dont want to try stalking anything with a bow in any raingear!

Default Thanks

I think I will lean towards the H/H. Now on to boots

Thanks for the info

I am a bit confused about the rain gear comments concerning gortex and its inability to keep you dry in the long run....there must be truth to that statement because so many folks report bad experiences with the gortex....I have had several gortex jackets and haven't experienced the issues noted here and in other threads...

I did purchase a set of impertechs because many raved about them here on the forums, I found that with any activity at all you were doomed to be overheated and soaked wearing the rubber...the difference between gortex and the rubber was quite noticeable very quickly....

I have had crummy gortex jackets but the leaking was due to poor quality seams (ie not taped)....

Take the simms (or others) wading jackets for example, they are gortex, breath quite well and rain will absolutely not soak through them...they area light weight and at least as quiet as impertechs and a heck of a lot tougher...the only draw back is you have to give up your first born to afford one...lol...heck, consider the gortex waders, a guy can stand in the water all day and not get wet...is there something different about those items versus other rain gear?...

having said all that, I do use the impertechs if I am going to have almost zero activity, ie riding on a wheeler or glassing, otherwise its gortex for me...maybe i've just been lucky...

so wildboar, If money wasn't part of the equation, and you plan on doing any walking/wading, I would strongly suggest looking at the wading jackets at your favorite local fishing store, if you get a simms wading jacket, you absolutely will not get rain soaking through and you'll be more comfortable to boot...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default arrghhhhhhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I am a bit confused about the rain gear comments concerning gortex and its inability to keep you dry in the long run....there must be truth to that statement because so many folks report bad experiences with the gortex....I have had several gortex jackets and haven't experienced the issues noted here and in other threads...

I did purchase a set of impertechs because many raved about them here on the forums, I found that with any activity at all you were doomed to be overheated and soaked wearing the rubber...the difference between gortex and the rubber was quite noticeable very quickly....

I have had crummy gortex jackets but the leaking was due to poor quality seams (ie not taped)....

Take the simms (or others) wading jackets for example, they are gortex, breath quite well and rain will absolutely not soak through them...they area light weight and at least as quiet as impertechs and a heck of a lot tougher...the only draw back is you have to give up your first born to afford one...lol...heck, consider the gortex waders, a guy can stand in the water all day and not get wet...is there something different about those items versus other rain gear?...

having said all that, I do use the impertechs if I am going to have almost zero activity, ie riding on a wheeler or glassing, otherwise its gortex for me...maybe i've just been lucky...

Great, now I have no idea!! Well I did get a check today...Maybe I should just buy 2 different sets. Or better yet, I'll just buy a dang poncho at walmart for 8.99 and be done

Nothing kills Goretex faster than mud..especially the glacieral silt mud that you get covered in while riding an ATV. It gets into the pores of the material and wicks water through.

I have different raingear for different activities. For riding the ATV I where commercial grade Helly Hansons or the equivilant PVC raingear from Grunden or Carhartt.

For hunting I like to wear goretex or equivilant when it's not raining hard, but my Impertech is always in my pack for when it starts coming down hard.

Default wear both

get the commercial stuff and wear that for the inactivity/riding and then take it off when you are about to walk. I have done this many times with my goretex underneath the rubber stuff.

Thumbs up 2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    get the commercial stuff and wear that for the inactivity/riding and then take it off when you are about to walk. I have done this many times with my goretex underneath the rubber stuff.
    If you can afford it, this is my option of recommendation. Only, I use Impertech and Marmot Precip.

You know what is said about Impertech and I feel the same way, but there is not a lot of talk about Precip. I Just got this stuff this last year, after wanting it for the last three or so. I am very highly impressed. What I like most is that it is lightweight and comfortable. I have not been wet in it yet, but I haven't been in a significant downpour. I have spent 5 days in the field with consistant rain or drizzle and stayed dry. The only think I question is its durability. I've humped through alders and muskeg with no problems, but it hasn't seen devil's club and I don't think it would hold up very well...could be wrong though!

The Marmot Precip is quality rain gear and fairly inexpensive. Goretex fabric or any other waterproof membrane doesn't leak in general. The problem comes from the zippers, seams, and so forth. If you don't have your hood cinched tight you could get rain running down your face and into your jacket.

Jackets made with eVent is a more breathable, waterproof fabric. These jackets are starting to come on the market and are better than goretex. REI has one that is supposed to come out this fall that should have a decent price. I did a hike in a blowing gale on Kodiak today in my eVent Rab Drillium and stayed nice and dry.

Jason

My brother was telling me about eVent. He had a sleeping bag stuff sack made out of the stuff and he told me if I ever saw rain gear on sale made with that stuff to buy it. Spendy??

Your brother is a smart man. It has been raining here in Kodiak (yeah suprise I know) and mine has kept me nice and dry.

Jason

I am really fed up with impertech. This summer alone two pairs of impertechs have started to crack on me and leak very bad. TWO PAIRS! It wasn't more than a couple trips and my second set of pants started to leak and crack at the crotch. Also my brand new impertech jacket is even worse. I can't keep buying this junk when it wears out after a few trips under normal use.

I put over 50 miles of brush wacking and at least that much of trail hiking in Impertech this late summer (fall). Has held up good, I know there have been some issues with Impertech but I'm still a fan, so much so that I have two spare sets for myself, the wife has a set and I have a visitor set when friends and family come to see Alaska. Recently I bought a set of the Work Wear from HH, the jacket seems to be good for what I have used it for (fishing). Have not tried out the bibs yet. The Work Wear seems to run a bit big, got into Mediums fine. I normally wear just PolyPro under the Impertech, yep I get wet from the inside (with sweat) but I just change sets of PolyPros when I return from long trips, also nice to pack a second set if you are going to stop and sit/glass for awhile. I'm a fan of the bibs although I have pants for them and they work good but if your pants keep falling down you will rip the croch out, so get some bibs and keep them pulled up.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    so get some bibs and keep them pulled up.
    I've got the bibs and same issues as WG...in addition to little tears, I have a bunch of pin holes....a few are from devils club but not sure where the others came from.......my bibs have caught little snags and one resulted in a tear (not sure what it snagged on)..sitting on your butt they'll keep you dry for sure, other than that they just haven't been very durable for me...even the cheapest shells I've used have been sturdier....

everything has its place, even impertechs........for me they are just my trash rain gear, good for wheeling/dipnetting/etc...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks again guys for all your imput.