Thread: Wet but good day on the Kenai

Default Wet but good day on the Kenai

So, we got out for another day on the beautiful, very un-crowded Kenai River in search of more coho. We started out in tide water fishing the flood. There was no doubt that the fish were around because of the abundance of seals in the area, but we couldn't interest any in our offerings. So after an awesome time of great fellowship and discussions about everything from religion to politics we decided to make a big move upstream.

It didn't take very long for the action to start. While soaking eggs (plunking), we began to again solve the world's problems when all of the sudden, Josh jumps out of his seat with explosive accuracy, like a coiled spring that was finally released, to grab his graphite and with a hearty "Fish On" gave it an exagerated, snappy hook set.

This was the very thing that we were waiting for. With the rod bent, and the drag peeling, I quickly started the motor, tossed the anchor bouy and battled the spunky coho as we drifted down stream. We were very intentional with every move and savoring every second, after all, we didn't have many other world problems left to solve.

The salmon made a few runs with sudden rapid shots of its tail, splashing and jumping along the way. After a short time the fish was in the net.

We quickly dispatched this 10 pounder and got back on anchor to see if there were any school mates along for the ride. It didn't take long for a rod to come alive, ever so lightly. Tap, tap,..... tap, tap, tap..... tap, SLAM! Fish on.

Once again, back on anchor, Josh is setting up, close and shallow, right next to the boat. And again, the rod started with a very subtle tap... Josh asked, now? I reply, not yet. Another bump...now? Josh asked... Not yet, was my reply... We waited and waited until our patience was almost depleted when all of the sudden, Josh's line started racing upstream... FISH ON! But the line was slack and Josh couldn't muster a quality hook set... He was reeling as fast as he could and yanking back but to no avail... and yet the line continued upstream... The fish raced to the bow of the boat, and crossed under! Oh No! I thought as I was realizing that the fish may enounter the anchor line, but it missed and swam between the bow and the rope. But the line, rubbing on the chine of the sturdy Koffler, snagged on the trailer hook eye... but the fish kept running....

I lunged to the bow, leaned over and as swiftly as I could released the line from the jagged aluminum, only to see the line screaming back under the boat... Oh No! I again blurted out as I could see this fish hooking the motor. But Josh being the veteran Oregonian angler knew exactly what to do to respond to this strategic move of the coho... he instantly plunged the tip of the rod into the water and the line missed the motor... Finally, the bouy is let go, motor started and we were gaining the upper hand on this crafty fish.

What an awesome day... This day was only terminated at the cell phone prompting of my very patient, understanding and loving wife, "did you remember that you were going to pick me up from work?"... oops... Isn't it amazing how quickly we loose track of time when the fishing is hot?

We ended with 6 very nice silvers, the largest weighing in at 16 pounds.

Nice fish and a well-told story.

Default Silver Happenings

Thax for the report, enviable afternoon. But, did you solve the world's problems?

Wink Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Thax for the report, enviable afternoon. But, did you solve the world's problems?
    If we were king, we could have solved them all... without a shadow of a doubt... Unfortunately, the instant that rod bent, I forgot all of the answers... so, we'll have to try again...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    If we were king, we could have solved them all... without a shadow of a doubt... Unfortunately, the instant that rod bent, I forgot all of the answers... so, we'll have to try again...
    The strike of a fish quickly brings one back to one's true priorities!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.