Thread: a dream

Default a dream

i am addicted to nature. i m 26 now, since my childhood i dream of living in a place were i could be close to wilderness, were i could hunt, were i could discover myself away from vanities, useless complications of modern life and spending your life to just make money...or at least under a certain level. alaska got my attention quite a few years ago and ever since my heart belongs there.as i read this forum i realize there is more to it, good people, good intentions. maybe it will take a couple of years for gathering some money to help me settle in, meanwhile trying to get all the experience out of reading. hopefully you folks do not hate europeans :d
    i was thinking maybe you could help me out with some info as in how difficult is to obtain residency papers, buying land, hunting permit as i never owned one. thank you for reading so far, my english will improve

Quote Originally Posted by robert s View Post
    hopefully you folks do not hate europeans :d
    Only the French, Robert.

Touche Kingfisherktn!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Only the French, Robert.
    i myself can t stand the language altough i am forced to learn it beeing at the moment on one of the french islands in caraibe sea called martinique as i unlock and repair their phones...hungarian origins born in romania, not very strong as economical power ) anyway, i loved the performance of robin williams regarding the french: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc78y...eature=related , still prefer the golf part... coming back to the subject i would apreciate any help you can give about the info. thanks

Are you interested in becomming an American citizen? Or just living in AK?

just living in ak

Default Livin' in AK

If you have the means I would recommend visiting in the winter. It will give you an idea about the extremes of cold and darkness we have up here (the biggest turnoffs for a lot of people). My first trip up here was in the winter. I think the cold affected my brain because I was crazy enough to move up anyway. Anchorage is a small "city" with some job opportunities and isn't too far from Alaska.

i built on this wish since childhood so i think it s strong enough to last a lifetime, also guess sacrifices makes one more afectuos to his goal, beeing a stubborn mule it will happen. any info is appreciated. thanks

I would recommend if you are looking to stay here and want to experience Alaska, a good line of work to look in to would be tourism. I spent a few years working in the industry, and those that are bilingual (trilingual, etc.) are sought after because we get a large amount of foreign visitors up here. Possibly do to that in the summer time, and work as a packer for a guide operation in the fall. That will show you the true meaning of hard work and give you some great adventures. Probably more than you could have dreamed of... Just a couple of ideas.

I bet your toughest part of the whole process would be to get your residency papers. In any case, good luck!

-HT

Mark

i myself can t stand the language altough i am forced to learn it beeing at the moment on one of the french islands in caraibe sea called martinique.....
    My parents and grandparents were of French Cajun descent. I thought the language was absolutely beautiful. I'll never forget the sound of my grandmother praying at night in French.

I've been to Martinique. I liked it, as far as the Caribbean goes.

Even as a foreigner, you can buy land/property in Alaska just like anybody else.

And, even though most folks probably don't know this, you can also be a resident of Alaska even if you aren't a U.S. citizen:

Alaska Resident per AS 16.05.415(a): "resident" means a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here, has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country; a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license; or a dependent of a resident member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license. A person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident may not qualify by virtue of an interest in an Alaska business.

Per AS 16.05.415(b): A person who establishes residency in the state in accordance with the residency provision above remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person (1) establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country; or (2) performs an act, or is absent under circumstances, that are inconsistent with the intent required under the residency provision above.
    Of course, the key is intending to remain here.

Sometime back a lot of young Europeans got caught up in a dog mushing fad and were amazed at the comparably low cost of buying wilderness land in Alaska (compared to Europe). A bunch of them were buying up land in the Interior. I don't know if that trend has continued or not...........

thank you so much tom for a good idea, never gave it much thought for the job...i speak hungarian, romanian, english and now french..first of them aren t very looked for but who knows. or maybe i will be repairing your phones as i am doing here, not looking to work in physics or political science wich i have studied for i am looking a simple life...
    also thank you mark for the valuable information regarding residency, i guess it would make it easyer since i am not looking for american cityzenship (hope i spelled it right )
    regarding french as a language my subjectivity relates to a huge diference to my native language even though french is also a latin language. i also treasure every single memory related to my grandparents...

Default A word of caution....

Alaska is not what you conceptualize it to be .... regardless of what your thoughts are. It may be better, it may be worse, but it will not be as you expect it to be....of that you can be sure. Many come and many go, but not so many stay. A visit first is a very good recommendation. If you have definite and specific expectations you are much more likely to be disappointed if those expectations do not come to fruition. I am not in any way trying to dissuade you from your stated intentions but rather to inject a bit of realism. Always follow your dreams...carefully. Good luck.

life sure teached me your words are true in most of the circumstances... it s a calling the strongest i ever had, lately i started to listen... (don t like the word obsession ) it feels like i belong there, can t really understand why. been thinking maybe i could find a job in the hunting area, as i hadn t had the chance of learning from my father, no matter how small the payment is, as for the info it s probably better i start with the alaskan constitution. thank you

life sure teached me your words are true in most of the circumstances... it s a calling the strongest i ever had, lately i started to listen... (don t like the word obsession ) it feels like i belong there, can t really understand why. been thinking maybe i could find a job in the hunting area, as i hadn t had the chance of learning from my father, no matter how small the payment is, as for the info it s probably better i start with the alaskan constitution. thank you
    Robert~ the whole state of Alaska could be considered "the hunting area." Although you need to get out and away from the cities, towns and villiages (population crowds) there is ample game almost anywhere. As with anyplace in the world, it is a resource. However you look at it, with more people comes less possible resources to go around. Alaska is in a state of change; with the onslought of hunters and fisherman wanting exactly what you seek. This change can only increase legislation to manage our depleting resources. I believe in the value of living ones dreams, but take a hard look at what Alaska has to offer, its beauty is never compromised, neither are its winters; harsh, long & cold. Many variables to consider, but best of luck living your dream...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

thank you so much for your answers... it s a matter of time now.. have fun