Thread: Middle Kenai first time ?

Default Middle Kenai first time ?

I plan on floating the middle Kenai (14ft super duper puma) this weekend and I have a few questions.
    Where excatly is the put in on Skilak lake?
    How far of a row is it to get started?
    How long does it take to get to Bings?
    Is there any major concerns on this stretch?
    Thanks in advance,
    Travis

Default middle

Lower Skilak campground

mile or so across the lake but remains flat for another mile then picks up to 3-4 miles an hour

No major concerns, just dont miss bings, the time can vary depending on headwind which can be pretty feirce at times

http://www.skilaklake.com/map.php
    Take the lower Skilak Lake Loop Rd at mile 118, Lower camground is in aroud 6 miles (guess)
    If lake is at all rough do not go, or get off Skilak. Unsure of distance to river guessing a few miles. Have fun and be safe. You have a great raft for Kenai.

It's 1.4 miles from the South Skilak Lake landing to the river and another 10.2 river miles from there to Bings.

As stated already, if the wind is blowing, float the upper.
    The white caps are way bigger and dangerous on the water than they ever look from the launch. This lake can kill you.
    Have fun :-).
    abel6wt

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    http://www.skilaklake.com/map.php
    Take the lower Skilak Lake Loop Rd at mile 118, Lower camground is in aroud 6 miles (guess)
    If lake is at all rough do not go, or get off Skilak. Unsure of distance to river guessing a few miles. Have fun and be safe. You have a great raft for Kenai.
    The turnoff is at mile 118 as stated above. The Lower Skilak Campground is 5 miles from there on your right. It's another 3/4 mile down to the lake. Then as stated above the river is to the right 1.6 miles from the launch. I guess you could always walk the shore line if the water is too rough. Have a nice safe float. no major obsticles from the lake to Bings. Just make sure when you see the "Danger" sign just befor Bing's that you heed it's warning!!! They are called the Naptown rapids.

The turn off is at mile 75 on the Sterling Hwy

Hey Travis! Long time no see on the boards! Hopefully you guys have been too busy baggin' loads of fish this summer after that slow start on Lake Creek. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I plan on doing the same float for the first time as soon as I can work it into the schedule. Big rainbows and fat silvers, can it get any better?

Rob

Default skilak to moose

Your boat would do fine going thru naptowne rapids if you want to finish your trip with a little white water.
    Its a class three rapid.
    Its anouther 2.5 miles down from Naptowne to Moose river. It
    If you need a shuttle just give us a call.
    I usually recommend that you get on the water before 11 am at skilak.
    The lake is generally more kind in the mornings, and kicks up as the day goes on. Head winds can be a problem, but normally a 4 to 6 hour trip is in order unless you just want to stop and fish from the banks etc.
    (This is a personel thing for me, But I don't like or use an Anchor in this section of the river.
    This is the Spawning area for lots of Salmon and I don't want to take a chance of plowing up a nest of Eggs.)
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. We were all setup to go but the wind was kicking and I could see lots of whitecaps so we ended up just floating the way too popular upper Kenai.