Thread: 10/22 or Bolt Action for .22 LR

Question 10/22 or Bolt Action for .22 LR

Ok, I have a friend who is looking for a nice .22 LR rifle... he wants accuracy and dependability. His shooting skills are plenty good enough to appreciate a quality rifle and take advantage of a low minute of angle gun. We went to sportsmans the other night to look at a couple of .22 rifles and walked away with a question: to bolt or not to bolt? We saw the heavy target barreled Ruger 10/22 and we also saw a ruger bolt action (model eludes me at the moment and my notebook is not here with me at the moment) I do remember the price difference: Bolt was around $700, the 10/22 was around $400 (stainless target barrel). Anyhow, I really want to know just how much more accurate the bolt action would be (I own a marlin .22 Bolt action and can't see any reason for the 10/22 myself), and if the 10/22 will have any problems with reliability that the bolt would not.

Final note, he is looking for something that is good for precise target work, but can still be taken in the field hunting, no fancy target rifles, only good quality workhorses.

Any comments and suggestions - MUCH appreciated!

The ruger 77/22 i.e. mini mdl 77 bolt in 22rf has a mixed reputation on accuracy, so I wouldn't get one if the goal is accuracy.

The upside of 10/22's is they are just plain fun, and the bull tubed versions do a fine job of putting the shots right in there. Basically the affordable ammo version of an AR-15. As far as hunting with them, what will he be hunting and how? The target 10/22's are just a tad heavy and might be found uncomfortable for all day forays after hare and hens.

The upside of a bolt 22 is it likely mirrors the action of his big game rifle. And nothing but nothing beats a good clone of your big game rifle in 22 lr. The downside is you typically have to drop quite a bit of money to get a really accurate 22lr bolt gun.

Both good platforms and both have pros and cons. I'd lean towards one of the Anshutz 64 mp's. It's on the heavy side, but if you want an accurate 22rf...

Quote Originally Posted by Limetrude View Post
    Ok, I have a friend who is looking for a nice .22 LR rifle... he wants accuracy and dependability. His shooting skills are plenty good enough to appreciate a quality rifle and take advantage of a low minute of angle gun. We went to sportsmans the other night to look at a couple of .22 rifles and walked away with a question: to bolt or not to bolt? We saw the heavy target barreled Ruger 10/22 and we also saw a ruger bolt action (model eludes me at the moment and my notebook is not here with me at the moment) I do remember the price difference: Bolt was around $700, the 10/22 was around $400 (stainless target barrel). Anyhow, I really want to know just how much more accurate the bolt action would be (I own a marlin .22 Bolt action and can't see any reason for the 10/22 myself), and if the 10/22 will have any problems with reliability that the bolt would not.

Final note, he is looking for something that is good for precise target work, but can still be taken in the field hunting, no fancy target rifles, only good quality workhorses.

Any comments and suggestions - MUCH appreciated!
    I'm partial to the 10/22. The coolest thing about the 10/22 is the aftermarket parts availablity. They shoot great in factory form, but when you start customizing, you'll really start seeing good results. You can do your own trigger job in a matter of minutes. Need a target barrel? Take your pick. Most of the barrels available will be more than sufficient to make it a great shooter. I have a tricked out 10/22 and love it.

Thumbs up 10/22

+1 for the 10/22. I've been shooting one since I was about 6 years old. Very reliable and as mentioned, lots of aftermarket upgrades available. A friend of mine shot competitive silouettes (and did quite well) with one for several years before he could afford an Anschutz bolt gun.

Probably the biggest key to getting it to shoot well would be ammo selection. I know my friend went through several brands before he found what the gun really liked. It all shot well, but one (I think it ended up being a Wolf product) shot just enough better to be what he used in competitions.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 10-22

For those of you with "decked out" 10-22's

Before you decked it out, what was your average 50yd and 100yd groups?

After?

Paul H: You are the first person I have had that has mentioned a mixed review on accuracy of the 77/22. I fully believe you but can you please elaborate? Is it a quality control issue with the barrels? A trigger issue? etc? Any references that I can dig into would be HUGELY appreciated. You also mention having to drop a huge amount of money to get an accurate bolt .22 - this seems to contradict my feeble understanding of basic rifles 101. Namely that out of the box bolt rifles tend to shoot much more accurately than semi-autos. Yes they cost a bit more (300 more in this case) but I guess I am just biased in expecting the semi auto to be a poor performer in comparison to the bolt. Is this less of an issue with the rimfire rounds?

On further note, he is not a big game hunter, so matching the action to his heavier rifle is not an issue... but he is interested in shooting lots of smaller game... ie rabbits, grouse, etc while hiking for the day. I think that honestly, he will be using it 75% at the range and 25% for hunting - so weight is not as big of an issue.

We both have a love for rifles that are accurate enough that it is never a question of 'was that within rifle's accuracy tolerance' instead we prefer poor shots to be a matter of user error as it really helps build skills and notice our shortcomings and correct them.

Default Scope or not

What distance of shots and what quality of scope are important along with good shooting ammo. If he's trying to put additional bullets right on top of the others, then reliable bullets and scope are about as important as the gun.

Has he considered a nice pistol and scope? I have as much fun shooting grouse heads with my Trailside and 4X scope as my rifles. I usually get close enough (less than 35 yds for me).

Default Already have .22 pistols

We both already have nicely done .22 pistols and can shoot empty 20 ga shotshells pretty consistently at about 15 yards, he is definitely looking for a rifle, but good thought on the pistol there BTK.

We will work on getting a good round selected for the accuracy, as well as making sure we get a good scope, my concern for the moment is getting a good gun to start with and not sure if a semi auto is the way to go as far as accuracy is considered... hoping to be able to get some data on other 10/22 owners with target barrels on how accurate their rifles are, compare that with what I know I can do with my marlin bolt gun, and also interested in anyone with a 77/22 that can give their accuracy results. I know there is much in the bullet selection and the scope, but I also believe that one design is more inherently accurate than the other (ie if one were to lock the rifles in a vise, how would they group...)

Oh as to the distance question, we are hoping to be able to plink together at 100 yards or so with good results. I can do this now with my marlin bolt gun and cci stingers... groups are around 2 inches with my scope/rifle combo.
    Last edited by Limetrude; 09-11-2008 at 15:42. Reason: Forgot to fully answer distance question...

Being a sucker for a good .22 rifle all my life and owning just about every .22 rimfire ever made at one time or another. I got to admit that the 10/22 can be a truly great rifle for accuracy. However you don't buy one off the shelf and say that, nor can you make one off the shelf ito that kind of rifle. It takes a build from scratch to get all it can be. to get a rifle that will get you a 0.250" 50 yard rifle.

I've only had one of the 77/22 in the synthetic. That model can be made to be vary accurate off the shelf. None of this comes for free.

The limitation of both of these models is the magazines. 10 shots for hunting in cold weather is a bad deal, reloading magazines in cold weather is a bad deal. Even caring a pocket full of magazines leaves a lot to be desired. Taking my gloves off at twenty below to remove the mag sucks.

Ever after market magazine has been a dud, for me. I end up mad at every one I've had and shoot the crap out of them.

I've got to say right here and now that for an off the shelf .22 rimfire that gives me everything I want for accuracy and fills all my needs for a perfect hunting and a informal target rifle. The only real need to work on the trigger rifle, is the Marlin model 39A lever action.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I am of the opinion that a good .22 bolt action rifle will return dividends far beyond the actual cost. I've had several 10/22s and they can be fun rifles but IMHO aren't in the same class a really decent 22 bolt rifle.

I am very partial to the .22 bolt gun. I have a Kimber 22 that matches my Kimber 84 and I've used Anshutz and CZ .22s for a lot of informal target shooting and hunting and been very pleased.

A lot of companies produce very expensive target rifles but a good hunter grade of the same brand will shoot generally well enough out of the box and not cost a mortgage payment. Do be prepared to spend about the cost of an average big game rifle though.

Here's a list of one's I've been impressed by- Anschutz, Kimber, Cooper, Browning's T-bolt, I've had one Ruger 77/22 that shot well and one that didn't, and on the lower dollar cost end a CZ.

A good friend has a CZ that shoots as good as anything made and it was about $350 or so.

A good scope will cost you a fair bit as well but the expense is worth every cent.

I am a very big fan of quality, accurate 22 rifles. I've owned many of them. Kimber, Cooper, Finfire (Sako), Anschutz and CZ's. When I found the CZ's (I also have an old BRNO) I found all anyone could want in the way of accuracy. I have two CZ's, plus the old BRNO and a half dozen of them in the grand kids size. The full size rifles will shoot true 1/2" groups at fifty with many brands of ammo. I have shot them against many different brands for money and never lost a nickel with any of them. The 10/22's are laughable when trying to compete with these guns (and most other guns). I know there are lots of 10/22 fans out there and they are a fun gun to shoot, but they are not an accurate rifle compared to a good bolt. I have shot and won BR-50 matches with the old BRNO sporter squirrel rifle shooting against $3000 rifles.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I own a 77/22 in .22 Magnum and it is a tack driver. I had another one in .22lr some years ago, sold now...also a tack driver. So my experience with them has been good. I don't care for the 10/22 because of the aluminum receiver...I have had the scope mount screws strip out on those. I think Ruger nearly got it right when they brought out the 10/22 magnum with a steel receiver and integral scope ring mounts. That said, it is one of the most popular .22s ever made and it is reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. I'm not a fan of all the aftermarket doo dads for that or any other gun, so that has no bearing on my opinion.

Default Cz 452??

Murphy,

Are those CZ452's that you are shooting?

Also, does anyone know where in fairbanks might have a lineup of the cz .22 lr, for some reason I doubt Sportsmans carries them - but I will definitely call.

Thanks again for all the input

Hmmmm, must be something about the micro groove rifling that the Stingers like. The only 22 rifle that I've ever owned that liked the Stingers is an older Marlin bolt gun. I have a k6 weaver on it and it is great on tree rats out to 50 yards. I had to drill and tap mine as it came with only the dove tail, however the new ones come ready for bases. This gun would be my first concideration for an elcheapo blue collar 22. A used one in good condition can be had for 150 -200 bucks.

I have a 77/22 in stainless synthetic. I absolutely adore that rifle and it is a good accurate shooter.

I've been eyeballing the Savage Mark II. Not too expensive, available in several configurations and it's getting some pretty good reviews. http://www.outdoorlife.com/article_g...Test-'08/7
    http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire_home.htm
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Default Marlin 925 bolt action

I really like my Marlin 925 bolt action, and it only cost 160 bucks brand new. Plenty accurate and reliable.

Default second the cz452...

mine is absolutly priceless. when you buy one you are buying accuracy. they come with a target that was shot at the company before it gets to you. was thinking about buying a t/c 22 they look pretty nice. anyone have any experience with them?

I have had a bunch of 22's, like them all..

get the Anchutz 1712 sporter and never look back.
    Spendy, but so is buyine all the other guns working up to it...