Thread: Self guided total cost?

Default Self guided total cost?

Have done 2 self guided trips 1999 (Kotz) and 2004 (Aniak). As we consider our 2009 trip and plan our budget it appears that the cost of everything has increased...in some cases exponentially. Is there anyone out there who is planning/completing a hunt willing to share your actual 2008 costs to help us get a better perspective? We will be flying to AK from WI wth all of our gear, renting rafts in either Kotz or Fairbanks and flying 1- 1.5 hours into river and floating 8-10 days for moose (incidental caribou and black bear).

Thanks in advance. Tom

Default Self-guided Hunt

I'm from here and For my Self-guided (Fly-in) Sheep hunt for me and my son, I could've hunted Africa again. But it was money well spent, fun (10 day)hunting experience, I'm gonna do it again, and again......one word sums it up....PRICELESS!!!!!

PM me if you want to know the numbers......CK

I just hunted in the Brooks Range with Alaska Bush Sports, and the trip for me was about $4000... I flew from MSP To Fairbanks then rented a truck for a week and drove to Happy Valley, flew out and then drove back and I am from WI.

I don't think I want to add it all up. My wife might kill me! If you have the gear you need (tent, pack, clothing, etc.), I think you are looking at ~$5,000 plus travel costs to Alaska. This could be a lot less if you walk into the field. Having friends with boats and planes helps a lot.

My dad and I did a self guided fly-in brown bear hunt out of King Salmon this past spring. It cost him about 900 to get to Fairbanks (where I live) from Texas and then another 450 per person (round trip) from Anchorage to King Salmon. Then we flew out of Kind Salmon about an hour and a half south (near Wide Bay) in a Beaver (that was 1,500). We had our own gear so no cost there and then food, fuel and other stuff here and there was prob a few hundred more. Add all that up and maybe you can get a "ball park" estimate on what it is going to cost you. Well I hope that helped you some, and good luck on your hunting trip

O Yea.....If you have to rob a bank so you can afford the trip dont be scared to share the money, I have a pretty healthy taxidermy bill.

Default Alaska hunt costs

I've been helping folks put together their Alaska hunts for several years and would start off saying that it varies a lot, depending on the species you're hunting, the type of trip (flyout, drop camp, float hunt, road-based hunt...).

Having said that I would say that a total budget for a non-resident hunter will come in somewhere between $3500 and $5000, with the indicator needle resting toward the 5K number. This would be per-person, inclusive of gear, shipping costs, rental fees, commercial jet travel, air charter, license / tag fees, meat processing / shipping, trophy expediting / shipping, food and incidentals. There are lots more details I'm missing, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Alaska is considered by most US citizens who live elsewhere to be an exotic hunt, but one that still offers the security of a domestic hunt. In that respect an Alaska hunt is preferred by many even over cheaper hunts done overseas.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Bigdog, Check your pms please. Ken..........

Ken,
    I just shot you a message...

My cousin fly's up every year from MN to hunt with me. He has never spent less than $2200 and has never spent more than $3200. This includes Flight up to AK and then flight out to wherever we are hunting plus hunt Lic and Tag for whatever he is hunting. He also pays half for food and extra gear we may need that is exclusive to the type of hunt we are doing. Keep in mind we have been doing it a while and already together have enough gear for an army. We have learned how and where to cut costs over the years as well. Id say Mike hit it on the head for the average hunter coming from out of state, especially if you dont have your gear yet. That alone could run into the thousands.

Default Michael Strahan

If any one know it's this guy, very helpful and knows how to set up what you want, not always canned hunts either!